RAID 0,1 or RAID 10?

Hello,
I am looking to build my first raid configuration and I have a couple of questions so I would really appreciate some help.

The goal is both performance and redundancy.
I will be using two Intel 730 480GB SSD for speed and one WD Caviar Red 3TB for mirroring them on a daily basis.

1. Additionally since the total capacity of the SSDs is 960GB I would like to use the 2TB left on the WD for storage and direct writing of important data. I don't know if this is possible when the HDD is in a some form of RAID configuration?

2. As far as I understand Raid 1 is actually out of the question since the HDD is only one. Does this mean that I should setup a Raid 10 where the SSDs are in performance mode and the HDD is the backup disk? Or do I need two HDDs in order to set any form of RAID redundancy? The reason why I am picking a 3TB WD instead of 2x2TB is because tests show that the 3TB version is much better than the 1 and the 2TB versions in terms of both noise and performance. I could buy a second 3TB though, given the fact that redundancy raid configurations only provide half the capacity of the drives.

Basically my goal is to run the OS from the SSDs as well as all programs and games. Hmm, now that I think of it, the best solution is probably to just set up a Raid 0 on the SSDs and store all my valuable data on the WD Red. This way backing up won't be required since there's nothing valuable about games and the OS in my case. Also considering that the 730SSD are almost enterprise grade the likelihood of damage is not that high.

What do you guys think. What's the best solution here? Thanks.

Raid 0 - mass performance, needs 2 identical drives

Raid 1 - Secure, needs 2 identical drives

Raid 10 - Needs 4 identical drives.

There's a FaP video on this on TechQuickie.

You .... you just revealed to me that fast as possible is abbreviated FAP .. I thank you for that .. 

I see. In that case - seems I am going to go with Raid 0 for the OS/games/programs and just have an additional WD where I put my sensitive data.

I see. In that case - seems I am going to go with Raid 0 for the OS/games/programs and just have an additional WD where I put my sensitive data.

You can use backup software to mirror your stuff daily on the hdd if you want, but to be honest a 3tb hdd has a much higher failure rate than 2 ssds even in raid 0, so it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You can use backup software to mirror your stuff daily on the hdd if you want, but to be honest a 3tb hdd has a much higher failure rate than 2 ssds even in raid 0, so it doesn't make a lot of sense.

The WD Red NAS drive is a server grade HDD, I doubt it's gonna fail that much, considering that I've had a PC with the cheapest 80GB HDD Maxtor and it was at 70% health after 10 years of use.

-snip-

If you want performance and redundancy, RAID 10 is the only option from those three.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

If you want performance and redundancy, RAID 10 is the only option from those three.

Huhh? :huh:  You're going to RAID 10 with those three drives? Two 480GB SSD's and one 3TB HHD?

I will say absolutely not unless you're dong some hokus pokus on that RAID array.

I think you meant RAID 10 will give you the best performance and redundancy with four drives, hopefully if the same type and size (but not required).

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Raid 0 - mass performance, needs 2 identical drives

Raid 1 - Secure, needs 2 identical drives

Raid 10 - Needs 4 identical drives.

wrong, you dont need Identical drives, is better if you have them both identical but is not a requirement.

I have 1 Raid 0 using 2 different HDDs 1 is a 160GB laptop drive and 80 GB 3.5 and they run normally I been using this array for the past 6 months

you can even calculate the capacity of your array if you use different HDDs or SSDs

https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/RAID_calculator

Huhh? :huh:  You're going to RAID 10 with those three drives? Two 480GB SSD's and one 3TB HHD?

I will say absolutely not unless you're dong some hokus pokus on that RAID array.

I think you meant RAID 10 will give you the best performance and redundancy with four drives, hopefully if the same type and size (but not required).

I probably should have been more clear: I interpreted his post as "I want my SSDs in RAID 0, but I also need a backup drive(s)". For a high-performance, redundant backup volume, RAID 10 is the way to go.

@staykov, you should not run SSDs and HDDs in a single RAID array. You could have one SSD volume and one (backup) HDD volume, but do not mix the drives.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

@wpirobotbuilder

Yes that's how I want to go - I will raid 0 my SSDs and just add in a HDD as a backup solution, outside of the Raid.