Stop saying SLI/CF is overkill!

Gauzl

Getting really sick of people telling others SLI/CF is a waste on a single 1080 or 1440p monitor. I built my first PC in 2012 and started with a single GTX 680 and in a couple month purchased a 2nd GTX 680 and never regretted it, and I had a 120hz 1080p monitor. Now I have 2 GTX 780's which I bought both at the same time and a single 1440p monitor and can expierence smooth frame rates without sacrificing graphic settings, which you WILL have to sacrifice if you had a single card atleast at 1440p. When I use my 120hz 1080p monitor I can expierence games at over 100fps and still without sacrificing graphic settings, which you wouldn't with a single GPU, that being said, the games I'm talking about are all triple A titles.

It's the same argument with psu's. One mans overkill is another mans just right :)

Atleast by "over killing" you're at the same time future proofing, so I don't know why people still complain.

Atleast by "over killing" you're at the same time future proofing, so I don't know why people still complain.

I find it quite funny, it's like someone's choice of gpu or psu is directly affecting them so they must point out the mistake haha.

I wouldn't say it's overkill for 120hz, but I don't really think its needed either. In most games I play I get around 115-120 fps on my single 290 (BF3, hardline beta, MMOs, etc)

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

It's the same argument with psu's. One mans overkill is another mans just right :)

the only reason they say that is because if you are using a system that under full load only draws 450 watts but you have a 750watt PSU 300watts of energy is being wasted thus meaning your spending money on electricity that you are not putting to use so it is overkill on your wallet lol

current build and total cost   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/150083-thrift-shop-build/

I apologize for my crappy English I'm American

the only reason they say that is because if you are using a system that under full load only draws 450 watts but you have a 750watt PSU 300watts of energy is being wasted thus meaning your spending money on electricity that you are not putting to use so it is overkill on your wallet lol

That's not how PSUs work. It's not always using 750w. If your PC under full load uses 450w, your PSU will only be pulling 450W from the wall. 

Because you're paying a lot upfront. You could just buy one card at a time as its needed and save quite a lot of money as by the time the second card is needed it will likely be far cheaper than when you initially would've bought it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

No you're not, a 750w psu doesn't just sit there pumping out 750w. If you're using 450w, well you're using 450, not 750w.

We generally have a problem with SLI/CF unfortunately since neither Linus nor Slick likes it.

lol.

Error: 410

We generally have a problem with SLI/CF unfortunately since neither Linus nor Slick likes it.

SLI/CF does have its place, but there are issues with it. I find that Far Cry 3 in particular has massive issues with SLI. 

I agree OP. It's not always necessary, but it's not always overkill either. I try not to jinx myself, but I should have some money coming in soon, and if as much as it should be I will be going SLI with one of the 1080p gaming monitors from the BenQ XL series.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

All that talk with over- or underpowered, future proof and such things... I tend to find these discussions very boring... they´re just as old as the whole computer hardware itself.

It is much more interesting to either find someone´s need in hardware and advise these guys the right way, so that they get the best bang for their buck.

Or just satisfy the personal needs, and this will always be a very individual choice ;) . I am not the biggest fan of CF/SLI myself, but it is an option that gives people out there the power they need (or when they think they need it hehe) for more than just 1080p in 60Hz.

I´ve written it many times already but hardware is always just a matter of the budget, and with all the respect, believe me it is great to have a big budget and get exactly the rig you want to have :) .

And with that being said, I know that many guys do not have the knowledge or expirience or that money to realize bigger projects, but therefore we have this awesome forum and base with so many nice people to help each other :) .

GreetZ Naj

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Well im some ceses it is, like haveing 2 titan z for 900p gaming is udder bull shit, but if you are playing at 4k, a titan z or 2 may not be bad.

But generaly speaking it is better in the long run to get a singe high end gpu over 2 lower powered ones, maybe not right at the start but in a few months when you get extra $ to upgrade with, you will be happy with your choice.

Now as xfire or sli being overkill, it again depends on the situation, if you want a 144hz 1440p monitor, having dual 780 will be better than a single 780ti, and it really comes down to the situation

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

I understand you, OP. I get the same arguments from people about my TItan SLi rig at 1080p 120hz.

I tell them I prefer frames over resolution and will upgrade the monitor to a 1440p after gsync/fsync becomes easily available. 

The same people then laugh and tell me that a titan sli or 780Ti sli or 780 sli is for 4k gaming only, not 1440p.

I usually point them out to the fact that crysis 3 at 4K doesn't even hit 60fps average on a titan Z. Source: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-TITAN-Z-Review/Crysis-3 Also, three of the six games tested in this review do not hit 60 average at 4K.

• CPU - i7 3770K
  • Motherboard - Asus Maximus V Formula Z77
  • RAM - 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance @1600 MHz
  • GPU - 2x Asus GTX Titan
  • Case - Corsair 550D
  • Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 1TB
  • PSU - CoolerMaster 1000W 80+ gold
  • Display(s) - Alienware AW2310 1080p, 120hz
  • Cooling - Noctua NH-D14 Air Cooler
  • Keyboard - Corsair K65 (Cherry Red)
  • Mouse - Corsair M65
  • Sound - Asus Xonar Essence STX, Beyerdynamic T90

That's false too .-. PSU is gonna pull about 20%more  than it needs  so 540w for a 450w rig, unless you built your own superconductor based psu... there's a reason 80+ certification only goes til Titanium which is very very very very rare.

That's not how PSUs work. It's not always using 750w. If your PC under full load uses 450w, your PSU will only be pulling 450W from the wall. 

Edit: So logically buying a lower wattage higher efficiency is smarter unless your planning an upgrade.

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Edit: So logically buying a lower wattage higher efficiency is smarter unless your planning an upgrade.

Pretty much. There are some PSUs that will benefit from being 'overkill' though. Such as the RM series which won't even spin up the fan until it's under a certain % load. 

Pretty much. There are some PSUs that will benefit from being 'overkill' though. Such as the RM series which won't even spin up the fan until it's under a certain % load. 

Forgot about that but yeah... Sorry had to correct you, you were breaking the laws of physics...

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

there is no such thing as overkill. people say the same about the titan, but it will be will be way better than a 780ti in 5 years or so. that extra vram will help massively. when i was looking at getting a fx5950 i got thee ultra over the standard one with double the vram. its ok thing that was overkill for 1024x768, but its much better now. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

WELLLLLLLLLL if we're being all correct and official, that's wrong as well :P  If you're pulling 450w from the PSU, the power drawn from the wall will be whatever the efficiency is :P

IE: 450w drawn from PSU to PC = 500 watts from the wall at 90% efficiency

( had to do it xD)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I'd say never go with two low/mid end cards in crossfire/sli... I myself did have a 7850 crossfire, and while it could produce a better price to performance ratio over 7950/7970 in most cases, other times when crossfire/sli was not supported or had issues, I was stuck with one lower end card. I'd say that always buy the single best card your budged allows, unless you need even more power than a single high end card can deliver. I run all less gpu hungry games with a single card, but games like Crysis 3 max out both cards at 1440p without even using any insane AA. Of course, if you already own a decent mid end card, adding a second one is probably the most budged friendly upgrade.

I'm also a little annoyed by the fact that people are shouting "overkill!" whenever someone is going to get a 850 W PSU when they are technically alright with just 500 W. Yes the PSU might have more watts than necessary, but if it's only few bucks more why not. It will probably just run cooler and quitter and without the person needing to worry about watts, and it also leaves some headroom for possible future upgrades. I bought my AX860i thinking I could just have bought the AX760i as well, but now it turns out I'm maxing my PSU when I turn up the OC to the max on the cards, though that's only when doing benching & testing fun... http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168268-r9-290-crossfire-total-system-power-consumption-ax860i-results-at-different-overclock-speeds-water-cooled/

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

I love the option of SLI. In my main computer I have 2 Asus 760's running. My computer went from running really well, to RUNNING LIKE A GLORIFIED MAJESTIC TIGER, SPRINTING THROUGH THE FIELDS OF GRAPHICAL QUALITY.

It is great! So for about $550 total I now have the graphics power of a $1000+ Titan card.

My definition of overkill:

When you have a specific,usually low-medium budget and you spent much more in one thing that doesn't matter too much and skimp on a thing that matters. (example: decides to go with 16gigs of ram and 750watts psu and has to downgrade the graphics card in order to meet his budget).

When someone has a huge budget and decides to go with lga2011 instead of 1150 is not an overkill for me.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!