Graphic developper build

deck

I am a graphic developer, mainly on OpenGL and sometimes on DirectX, and I am going to build a high end PC to run my unoptimized programs smoothly.

Right now I am working on a 2 years old Asus G75VW, so it will be a BIG improvement.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($624.98 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($119.99 @ Memory Express)
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard  ($269.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($175.30 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($220.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan Black 6GB Superclocked Video Card  ($1169.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop Case  (Purchased For $128.08)
Power Supply: Cooler Master V850 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($167.41 @ DirectCanada)
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor  ($548.25 @ Vuugo)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($27.54 @ DirectCanada)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($119.25 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $3661.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

I went for the Titan Black because I need the 6gb to try stuffs without worrying of the vram I take, and trust me, some techniques are hungry. I would have bought a 780 TI 6gb instead, but I don't think it will ever come out, for this very reason... At least I will be able to play with the double precision stuff.

I have also considered two 780 6gb in SLI, but I read somewhere that SLI doesn't work well above 3gb. I am not sure about that.

Regarding the fans I don't know if I should bother to replace the stock ones of the air 540 case. Even if I am going to overclock the CPU and the GPU for sure.

The system will often work at 100% CPU & GPU.

I am also debating if I should go for the h100i or h110 CPU cooler, or even an air cooler ?

I may have been overboard with the Samsung 840 Pro, but I see it as a long term investment, it will last for years.

I am going to do a lot of typing with the k70, so I hope that the brown keys are good for that, since I never tried it. Any through ?

Finally, I think that this motherboard is fine, but I am not sure. Should I invest in a higher end model (pro/deluxe/ws) ?

Too bad I can't wait for Haswell-E and Maxwell. I might have to sell the CPU/GPU/mobo/ram in six months :(. I hope their price wont drop too much.

@deck
Hi, I would suggest you to not invest in X79 platform if you are planning to sell it within 6 months. 4790K and a good Z97 motherboard would be much more appropriate as an in between measure.
Titan Black is a good investment and it will definitely help you with OpenGL and DirectX development. Double point precision in a consumer GPU opens up lots of possibilities for non enterprise oriented workstations. You will definitely benefit from it.
780SLI will be fast but lose the benefits of Titan Black, as you are a developer I would suggest that you do not go with it.
Corsair 540 is a good case and you will not face any problems with thermals even when all your components are pushing 100%.
A Noctua NH-D15 will perform better than your listed AIO solutions while being quieter and more trustworthy.
ADATA's SP920 are an affordable alternative SSD for workstations where data integrity is more important than read/write speeds. It also packs power failure protection which is an added advantage.
Do you like tactile feedback? If yes, go with Cherry MX Blue otherwise only buy a MX Brown Keyboard after testing it.
Its a great motherboard but please consider using a Z97-Haswell Refresh solution in the next six months.
I am not sure, if their price will drop but there will be a lot more people selling their setup to move to X99.

Hope I have answered all your queries ~ if you have anymore questions please quote my post or name.