[Sennheiser] PC350 SE vs. HMD280 Pro

Go to solution Solved by NannerBeans,

They sell the headset for a higher price because most people would rather buy a headset. Headphones and a mic would be a better value. I would recommend Beyerdynamic DT770 with a modmic. 

Edit: Actually $180 is kinda steep for DT770. If you can stretch your budget to get Modded fostex v3 from Mayflower then those would be better. Beyerdynamic COP is good too but not at the $230 they're selling for right now. I got one I'm selling for less. 

Hello LTT forums!

As a preface, I am currently an owner of the Razer Kraken Pro headset, and have been looking to make an upgrade to a new headset. I have been looking around at headphones and headsets, and from experience, am naturally drawn towards Sennheiser's products due to their great build quality. I used to own a pair of Sennheisier's HD 280 Pro headphones, but they unfortunately died out on me after many years of service.

What I would like to ask of the forums is their opinion on 2 things. Firstly, between 2 of the headsets that I have been looking at, what are the main pros and cons between Sennheiser's HMD 280 Pro headset, and their PC 350 SE headset? They are priced very similarly, but I'm not very experienced in the audio field so I'm not sure what I should be looking for. What headset is better for what?

Lastly, as another point of view, a lot of people told me that sometimes it's better to get a standalone pair of headphones, and simply get a detachable microphone like the one by Antlion. Any thoughts on this topic? Is a headset priced at $250 a better option than a $200 headset and a $50 mic?\

I really appreciate all your input, and hope you all have a wonderful day :)

Clay Benson

"Never trust the authenticity of a quote on the internet."

-Abraham Lincoln 

There's nothing wrong with Sennheiser headsets except the price.

You will save dollars by getting the HD 558 (open) or HD 380 Pro (closed, collapsible) and a modmic. The 558 and 380 use the exact same driver as all Sennheiser headsets, they just like to charge way more for the headsets because they are "for" gaming.

They sell the headset for a higher price because most people would rather buy a headset. Headphones and a mic would be a better value. I would recommend Beyerdynamic DT770 with a modmic. 

Edit: Actually $180 is kinda steep for DT770. If you can stretch your budget to get Modded fostex v3 from Mayflower then those would be better. Beyerdynamic COP is good too but not at the $230 they're selling for right now. I got one I'm selling for less. 

There's nothing wrong with Sennheiser headsets except the price.

You will save dollars by getting the HD 558 (open) or HD 380 Pro (closed, collapsible) and a modmic. The 558 and 380 use the exact same driver as all Sennheiser headsets, they just like to charge way more for the headsets because they are "for" gaming.

I really liked the 280 pros I used to have, and many say that the 380s are an "upgrade" from the 280s. Can you vouch?

-Abraham Lincoln 

I really liked the 280 pros I used to have, and many say that the 380s are an "upgrade" from the 280s. Can you vouch?

No, but I've heard the same thing.

for me, my 380 pro is a lot better than my ATH-M50, which people say is better than the 280 pro.

in a nutshell, my M50 is " hmm okay", my 380 pro is "wow".

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

for me, my 380 pro is a lot better than my ATH-M50, which people say is better than the 280 pro.

in a nutshell, my M50 is " hmm okay", my 380 pro is "wow".

If you don't mind me asking, what about the 380 pros do you like? Pros / Cons? I hate to ask so many questions but I want to make sure I am making the right purchase :)

-Abraham Lincoln 

If you don't mind me asking, what about the 380 pros do you like? Pros / Cons? I hate to ask so many questions but I want to make sure I am making the right purchase :)

bass is good, well its astounding for the price point, vocals is weighted and feels slightly infront of you. the highs is slightly veiled but still good.

cons is probably veiled, slight clamping force and mediocre build quality and not the most detailed or revealing, other than that it sounds like heaven to me :)

bass is good, well its astounding for the price point, vocals is weighted and feels slightly infront of you. the highs is slightly veiled but still good.

cons is probably veiled, slight clamping force and mediocre build quality and not the most detailed or revealing, other than that it sounds like heaven to me :)

Did you ever use the 280 pros? When I had them the build quality on them seemed really nice. I'm hoping to get a product that will last me for a very long time, so build quality is something I am taking into account (along with the look of the product). When you say that the build quality of the product is mediocre, what about it makes you say that?

Also, I did hear a lot about the clamping force you mentioned. Is that something that would break in over time or do you just get used to it?

-Abraham Lincoln 

Did you ever use the 280 pros? When I had them the build quality on them seemed really nice. I'm hoping to get a product that will last me for a very long time, so build quality is something I am taking into account (along with the look of the product). When you say that the build quality of the product is mediocre, what about it makes you say that?

Also, I did hear a lot about the clamping force you mentioned. Is that something that would break in over time or do you just get used to it?

i never tried the 280pros, but i heard they're notorious for vice gripping. for my 380 pro, they have quite a clamp, but i stretch it out everytime i go to sleep, so after almost a month, i can wear them comfortly without fatigue.

the build quality is actually good, the inner head band is made out of metal. the bad ones is the headband pad and the earpads, they're like made out of easy to tear cloth/paper like thingy. but note that the earpads have superb isolation. changing to others like velour or pleather will probaly ruin the sound.

i never tried the 280pros, but i heard they're notorious for vice gripping. for my 380 pro, they have quite a clamp, but i stretch it out everytime i go to sleep, so after almost a month, i can wear them comfortly without fatigue.

the build quality is actually good, the inner head band is made out of metal. the bad ones is the headband pad and the earpads, they're like made out of easy to tear cloth/paper like thingy. but note that the earpads have superb isolation. changing to others like velour or pleather will probaly ruin the sound.

Cool! I think I might end up going with the 380's and a ModMic, as the 280's didn't bother me much in terms of clamping force, so I think I will be alright with that of the 380's. Also I assume when you say earpads you mean the foam stuff that actually touches your head and not the stuff that covers the speakers, correct?

-Abraham Lincoln 

Cool! I think I might end up going with the 380's and a ModMic, as the 280's didn't bother me much in terms of clamping force, so I think I will be alright with that of the 380's. Also I assume when you say earpads you mean the foam stuff that actually touches your head and not the stuff that covers the speakers, correct?

Correct. If you treat them well the pads will last a few years but you'll have to replace them eventually.

Correct. If you treat them well the pads will last a few years but you'll have to replace them eventually.

Cool! Thanks for the insight :)

This is actually what I ended up getting! I found a pair of DT770's at a store which had accidentally marked them down to $120, so I got them super cheap and brand new! I just ordered my modmic and hope it should be in the mail soon :)

I really like the quality of the earpads on the DT770. They're extremely comfortable, and I feel I will be able to wear them for extended periods of time. The DT770's do appear to leak a bit of sound if the volume is up high, but I don't forsee it being an issue (also in Beyerdynamic's booklet, they say you can order replacement earpads in either Velour or cloth. Time will tell what's the best option for me!

Thanks to everyone for their input. I appreciate it!

-Abraham Lincoln 

This is actually what I ended up getting! I found a pair of DT770's at a store which had accidentally marked them down to $120, so I got them super cheap and brand new! I just ordered my modmic and hope it should be in the mail soon :)

I really like the quality of the earpads on the DT770. They're extremely comfortable, and I feel I will be able to wear them for extended periods of time. The DT770's do appear to leak a bit of sound if the volume is up high, but I don't forsee it being an issue (also in Beyerdynamic's booklet, they say you can order replacement earpads in either Velour or cloth. Time will tell what's the best option for me!

how do dt770s sound compared to kraken and 280 pro? also, what source are u using, motherboard or amp?

That's an insane price for those, nice find.

how do dt770s sound compared to kraken and 280 pro? also, what source are u using, motherboard or amp?

Definitely better than the Krakens by FAR. The Krakens sounded very muffled with bad mid-highs. The DT770s sound so crisp and revealing that I'm hearing instruments in songs that I hadn't before. It's quite amazing. As for a comparison to the 280's, it's hard for me to remember, as I stopped using them maybe 2 years ago after they busted :(

-Abraham Lincoln 

Definitely better than the Krakens by FAR. The Krakens sounded very muffled with bad mid-highs. The DT770s sound so crisp and revealing that I'm hearing instruments in songs that I hadn't before. It's quite amazing. As for a comparison to the 280's, it's hard for me to remember, as I stopped using them maybe 2 years ago after they busted :(

which ohms of dt770 is that? and are u using a motherboard or soundcard or amp for ur source?

which ohms of dt770 is that? and are u using a motherboard or soundcard or amp for ur source?

80 ohm. Motherboard. They're really not THAT quiet, but if you like your stuff SUPER loud then I can imagine it being too quiet (for me its uncomfortable at max volume)

-Abraham Lincoln