Ghosts Build Log

Ghost

Due to this forum being not ideal for a build log I have made a wordpress blog for my build. Read and follow me there! It makes it easier to post for me. You can also sub for email updates and comment there if you like my build!

I will keep this updated too but it will be a less regular thing compared to the blog

Link here: Clicky

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Album of my rig HERE!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey there. I decided to make a build log.

I will start off with the specs:

• Phenom II x6 1100T @3.3 – 4.0 (Depending on how I feel)
  • Asus Crosshair IV Formula
  • XFX DD HD7950 3GB
  • CM GX 750W Bronze PSU
  • NZXT Switch 810
  • 1.5TB Seagate 7200RPM
  • 3.0TB Seagate 7200RPM
  • 300GB WD Velociraptor 10,000 RPM
  • 120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD
  • 240GB Corsair Neutron GTX SSD
  • Assorted Cheap Memory (4*2GB) (Yes they are terrible)

I also have a custom watercooling system in place:

• XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25†Single Laing DDC Reservoir
  • Laing DDC Pump
  • EK-Supreme HF Full Copper CPU Waterblock
  • Thermochill EC6 Non Conductive Coolant - Clear / UV Blue
  • Masterkleer 3/8"ID-1/2"OD White Tubing
  • Hardware Labs Black Ice SR1 240mm Dual Radiator
  • EK XTC 140mm Radiator
  • Hardware Labs Black ICE GT Stealth 240 Radiator

Other things

• Sharkoon 12" (30cm) Dual CCFL (Cold Cathode)
  • Netgear Gigabit Network Card PCI-E

Okay I took a couple of pictures. To save on page loading times etc I made an imgur album out of them.

Click Here the See the Full Album

If you only want to say a compliment please use the like button/comment section. Would be nice if I could keep this thread clean for future updates etc. Only post if you have long questions, thanks!

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Hey Ghost, I took a look at the specs of your build and everything looks very good except the 1100T. That CPU is a decent 6 core. But might I suggest a 8350 if possible? Other than that... nice build and looking at the specs makes me jealous. Im stuck with an Intel Petium laptop running on iGPU. Luckily I am going to get my new rendering/gaming/streaming computer is about a years time.

Hey Ghost, I took a look at the specs of your build and everything looks very good except the 1100T. That CPU is a decent 6 core. But might I suggest a 8350 if possible? Other than that... nice build and looking at the specs makes me jealous. Im stuck with an Intel Petium laptop running on iGPU. Luckily I am going to get my new rendering/gaming/streaming computer is about a years time.
The specs are great, your cable management is great Ghost. Don't worry, I commented (although I think that also posts a separate post... forum is a little buggy) :\

As for the 1100T... I don't think it's worth it to upgrade to an 8350.

The BE is a very good processor and definitely a great value-for-money chip.

Most games would see a less than 10% increase in fps with an 8350 over an 1100T Black Edition; not really a viable investment since he's already built it

I have a 3570k waiting on the shelf to be put in. Its going to be a massive upgrade and I've been collecting bits and bobs for a few months now. Only part that will be kept is the water cooling, GPU, Case and Drives.

I would agree that the 1100T is one of the best CPU's AMD ever made. In fact when the bulldozer was released the CPU shot up in price so I could have sold it used for more than I got it for new. It is also at the top of the performance silicon lottery section. I can make it go at 4.0GHz by simply turning the multiplier up to 20. No voltage changes or anything.

I am changing it because it is 6-core and too few applications are multi-threaded for 6 cores to be an advantage. I will take multiple benchmarks for you guys to show you what changing to intel has done in terms of performance.

(Including overclocked and non-overclocked)

Also stuff like "does changing the memory affect FPS in games".

Does changing a power supply affect memory in games. (Against all the odds)

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Compare some 1333 vs 1600 RAM if you can :)

I would be interested to see these benchmarks.

To be honest though, man, I can't see the 3570K winning by a whole lot really... but it will be awesome if you get 15%+ performance increase :)

Plus, Intel is just better because it sounds more awesome to the average gamer :P

Click here for pictures with full descriptions.

Hey guys. Its me again with an update on my build.

The main theme of this post will be my new RAM but I also have some other things.

In fact this extended into a bit of history about my RAM.

------------------------------------------------------------------

So I mentioned previously my RAM was broken. I have no idea why. I presume it was because my DIMMs were horrible mis-matched.

I had some OCZ Gold memory. This was bought "back in the day" along with my second ever build. Back when I had my x2 chip ans was running 32bit. This was very expensive memory in its time. Would you believe that the DIMM cost me along the lines of £60 for 2GB. Shocking I know. Now this memory was 1600MHz 8-8-8 Memory. Which was superb for its time. Plus it was gold and I was new to computers. Would you believe this RAM was made to run at 1.7V. That's very very high. Never seen a higher voltage required for RAM before.

Then I bought some Kingston Hyper-X 1600 MHz RAM CL9. I got this for £20. Actually this is my first time reading the back of the RAM and this actually says. 1.7-1.9V. WOW. I was wrong. This is the highest voltage RAM I have ever seen.

Then later I saw 2*2GB DIMMs 1333MHz unbranded memory and thought "What the hell" and I added them. That's when my problems started of youtube going to a green screen. Now I realize this was because of my RAM but I honestly did not know back then. I thought my video card had broken after overclocking it. My good old Sapphire 5770 Vapor -X which did not overclock at all because overclocking just made it slower. (I sold it a year ago.)

Anyway. For a while I had 2*4GB Dominator GT 2000MHz RAM. Worst buy ever. To even have it run at remotely that fast I had to overclock my CPU. The fan was completely useless and the DIMMs were massive. So I sold that, at quite a big loss sadly but ah well.

Anyway I jumped at the Black Friday sales this year and snatched my self this G.Skill Sniper Memory 1866MHz 4*8GB. I regret nothing!

Its finally arrived to me (through family traveling) all the way in the UK. Took it 2 months to get here but I got it for $109 (£70) and it costs £150 here. That's better than half price.

---------------------------------------------------------

Other updates on my build include my new watercooling parts coming. I ordered MasterKleer Clear Tubing and got a bad batch (there's a pic in the album). However, after checking the batch, CandCComputers, (who I ordered it from,) offered me a free re-delivery of nicer tubing. Thumbs up to them.

I also ordered some Mayhems Paster Ice White dye. Which I cannot wait to see in my system.

As well as that I ordered some white LED strips white will be the lighting theme in my case this time around. Just plain white light.

-----------------------------------------------------

Also I wanted to ask if it you guy would want me to do daily updates of my rig.

I would also be up for some occasional videos if you guys want it.

Anyway, Thanks for reading this far!

Another few updates.

My Asus Maximus V Formula arrived today. So that completes all necessities for my new system.

I am rather busy this week with exams so I will be building next week.

I will hopefully be making a new youtube channel for my build log.

I will do a big bunch of vids while updating my rig.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note I also got 2 temperature sensors for my water loop and ordered 2 Be Quite SilentWings 140mm case fans for my intake fans.

Over the next week I will try to sleeve my power supply cables when ever I have time.

nice build great work on building it :)

Very nice build Ghost, waiting to see more pics on the build!

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

Very nice build Ghost' date=' waiting to see more pics on the build! [/quote']

I will be sleeving cables this whole week and the next and I will do the build next weekend.

I will also be doing videos on how to do certain things so it may take my the whole weekend.

I just made a thread here: Clicky

About an idea I had for my case.

Post about it there, not here btw.

Remember to like/sub to this thread if you want to follow my build!

Planning to put that GPU into your loop? Seems like 3 rads for one cpu is a little overkill!

CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | CPU:  i5 4570| CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-U12s | MOTHERBOARD: Asus H87-I Plus| RAM: Muskin Blackline 8GB | SSD: Samsung 830 128gb | 

SSD: Samsung 840 128gb SSD(Games) | GPU: Asus R9 270X DCUII | PSU: Seasonic 660w | MONITORS: LG 23" IPS 5ms |

yea man, you gotta get the loudest component on water too.

yea man' date=' you gotta get the loudest component on water too.[/quote']

I have an issue with my current gpu. It doesn't have a reference PCB. I thought it did at the time of purchase but found out a while later that XFX actually released 2 versions of the 7950. One had a reference PCB and one didn't. It turns out the "updated" card which I have didn't.

After feeling pretty pissed off at XFX I resigned myself to the worst and will cannot cool the GPU.

Will wait for the 8000 series if I can afford it and get a card with a block then. For now I can overclock my CPU to the limit which is always fun.

well that sucks. have you tried calling xfx? they have always been very accommodating when ive had issues. maybe they can get you the ref card

well that sucks. have you tried calling xfx? they have always been very accommodating when ive had issues. maybe they can get you the ref card

I have but I didn't ask for a replacement card. The big issue is I only realized about 3 months after I received the card.

I will send them an email now and see what they say.

EDIT: I literally sent them the nicest support ticket I could create. Fingers crossed they will let me exchange the GPU.

I have an issue with my current gpu. It doesn't have a reference PCB. I thought it did at the time of purchase but found out a while later that XFX actually released 2 versions of the 7950. One had a reference PCB and one didn't. It turns out the "updated" card which I have didn't.

After feeling pretty pissed off at XFX I resigned myself to the worst and will cannot cool the GPU.

Will wait for the 8000 series if I can afford it and get a card with a block then. For now I can overclock my CPU to the limit which is always fun.

Holy crap! That's exactly what happened to me except with a Sapphire card. I only realised when I went to put the block on my GPU. Bloody noob moment

I noticed when I was doing final before I buy research on which block is best. :(

Lol, your old memory...
assorted :D

Thought I might as well include this diagram of my rig, I made it for another thread on airflow direction.

WG5C6MI.png

Did you make that in paint? :P

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

Double post, sorry.