what does DPI mean?

does anyone know what "maximum DPI" means i see this on pcpartpicker while choosing a mouse and i would love to know what this actually is if someone could explain this in some detail and make the muddy water clear here. Thanks so much in advance your awesome ;P

Dots Per Inch.

Basically, how sensitive the laser/optical sensor on the mouse is. Higher DPI means you'll move the mouse a shorter distance physically and it will translate to a larger distance on the screen.

So... high DPI = high sensitivity, low DPI = low sensitivity.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

so i assume higher is better? ahh didnt see your post kevin_walter should have refeshed

DPI means Dot Per Inch and this translate into sensitivity. More is not necessarily better. I personally use 800DPI and find it fine so you don;t that high of a DPI. Most decent mice you can change the DPI level in software so you should fine there.

Quote me to get a reply!

so i assume higher is better? ahh didnt see your post kevin_walter should have refeshed

no, not necessarely, with lower dpi's you'll have more control, more precision on what you're doing, as for high dpi's you'll be faster, higher dpi is better for non precise things, while the lower dpi is for more accurate programes/games

CPU: Amd fx 8120 3.9ghz...Motherboard: Asus m5a97 evo R:2.0...RAM: 8gb 1600 kingston hyperx blu...GPU: XFX R9 280x ...CASE: Nzxt h440...

HDD: Kingston adata ssd 500 gigs, wd blue 500gb...PSU: Corsair gs700...Monitors: Asus vk222h Cooler: Noctua nh-d14...Keyboard:coolermaster masterkeys m...Mouse: logitech g300...Headphones: Logitech g430

DPI means dots per inch but it has nothing to do with mice. When people say DPI they mean CPI, or counts per inch. Like others said above, DPI/ CPI is sensitivity. Also DPI means dot per inch and it is used for printers and printing pictures.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

get a m45 i have the previus one the m60 and thats a good and nice looking mouse

so an idealist range dpi/cpi for gaming would be??? opinions here thanks 

What ever you prefer. I myself think 800 DPI is ideal for most situations.

Case: Fractal Design R4  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus  Processor: Intel i7 4770K  GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X  RAM: Corsair Vengenace Pro 16GB  PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 750W  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB   Monitor(s): LG 24GM77  Keyboard: Logitech G410  Mouse: Zowie EC1-A  Mousepad: Puretrak Talent White Ed.  Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II

What ever you prefer. I myself think 800 DPI is ideal for most situations.

IMO the ideal DPI depends entirely on monitor resolution. When my cursor is on my 4K monitor, I have my mouse set to 4,000 DPI, but as soon as I go over to my 1200p monitor (which is in portrait), I switch it to 2,000.

Should I change sensitivity in game/windows or the dpi of mouse?

Gaming Rig: i5-3570k+H100i (4.3 ghz) | P8Z77-i Deluxe | MSI Twin Frozr 7950 Boost | HX650 | 1TB HGST | 840 Evo 250 GB

This is really hard to answer. If your mouse supports full control over dpi/sensitivity you should use it over game/windows settings. However mouse control might be limited so then if you need to adjust things, do them in game. The thing is that when you set something from mouse, its same in every situation. Unless mouse has switches for dpi, sensitivity and maybe profiles.

Example: You have set sensitivity from mouse to 3 and dpi to 1200. This feels fast while in windows but when you open game, lets say CSGO its really slow. Settings in mouse haven't changes but game and windows use different sensitivity options.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I max out my DPI in my mouse settings and then turn the sensitivity way down in games.

My thinking is more resolution has to be better.

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

You should keep Windows mouse settings at 6 / 11 for speed and Enhanced Precision OFF for the most accurate tracking. If possible, adjust the DPI/CPI through the mouse software to make the cursors faster or slower and then adjust in-game settings if needed.