Cables, know-how, what-do and what-not

Pavenirom
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

24 pin ATX motherboard connector connects to the motherboard, it is the largest connector (some motherboards only use a 20 pin)

8 pin EPS (also known as 4+4pin) goes at the top of your motherboard to power the CPU (some motherboards only need a single 4 pin)

6 pin and/or 6+2 pin PCI-E power goes directly to your graphics cards to power them

molex is used to power fans, old drives, or other small things in your case.

sata is the replacement for molex (power supplies come with both molex and sata cables) which is now used for all kinds of drives.

Sleeving requires a lot of work to put a braided shroud over each individual cable to make it look better, and you also have to solder the connectors, use heat shrink, and crimp the pins.

It is much easier and safer to buy some pre-sleeved cable extensions from someone like bitfenix or silverstone or NZXT or corsair

If you sleeve your own cables there is a possibility you put one cable int he wrong place and fry all your components.

Heyo people, I couldn't find any thread on this, so figured I'd set up the mood with some candles and some smooth soft music.

Cables:

What sort of cables exists?

Which cable goes where?

How does one sleeve?

Just a few of the questions I figured was good to know.

It's easy to find videos and quides on how to sleeve.

But I find it rather hard to find a quide on cables. With 6-pins, 8 pins. 6 + 2 pins, Molex  and the various others.

-And yes, some people know this stuff by heart, but I sure don't. -Could prolly figure it out blindly, but knowledge isn't too bad?

Edit: I lied about the candles and music.

6-pin and 8-pin is for the GPU

24 pin is for mobo

4 pin and 8 pin (EPS 8 pin) are for the CPU, but not all mobos have it, its used for extra power for the CPU

The front connectors dont have a universal spot, you'll have to look in the mobo manual

molex is prety much used for anything that doesnt have a standard

i dont know that much about sleeving so ill leave that to someone else

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Are you referring to solely psu cables?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

24 pin ATX motherboard connector connects to the motherboard, it is the largest connector (some motherboards only use a 20 pin)

8 pin EPS (also known as 4+4pin) goes at the top of your motherboard to power the CPU (some motherboards only need a single 4 pin)

6 pin and/or 6+2 pin PCI-E power goes directly to your graphics cards to power them

sata is the replacement for molex (power supplies come with both molex and sata cables) which is now used for all kinds of drives.

Sleeving requires a lot of work to put a braided shroud over each individual cable to make it look better, and you also have to solder the connectors, use heat shrink, and crimp the pins.

It is much easier and safer to buy some pre-sleeved cable extensions from someone like bitfenix or silverstone or NZXT or corsair

If you sleeve your own cables there is a possibility you put one cable int he wrong place and fry all your components.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Are you referring to solely psu cables?

Nothing in particular, just the general cables you'll come across in your pc

What about fan controllers, do they work with anything "extraordinary"?

What about fan controllers, do they work with anything "extraordinary"?

Nope, usually just one molex or sata power connector, sometimes 2 depending on how many fans it can control.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Nothing in particular, just the general cables you'll come across in your pc

Ethernet cables are used for networks, you plug them into the pcs you want to share a network in such a way that they're directly connected by the cable. Today these come in 100Mb/s, 1Gb/s and 10Gb/s formats, but the 10Gb format is still very hard to come by.

Sata cables are used to connect your hard drive to the motherboard. SATA 2 is 3Gb/s while SATA 3 is 6Gb/s. SATA 1 is not present in modern motherboards.

Usb cables are used for data transfer and to connect some external devices to the computer. It can be used for portable hard drives, mice, keyboards, external dacs, headsets, webcams and others. the newest standard, USB 3.1, reaches 10Gb/s of bandwidth.

Displayport, hdmi, vga, composite, scart and dvi are video cables and connect screens to a source of, well, video. duh.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Sata cables are used to connect your hard drive to the motherboard. SATA 2 is 3Gb/s while SATA 3 is 6Gb/s. SATA 1 is not present in modern motherboards.

Is there any visual difference between the two?

No, they look exactly the same, that's why most SATA cables specify what they are on the cable itself with a writing. On motherborads they're usually colour coded, but each brand has their own coding. This is my motherboard, the 6gb sata3 ports are clearly indicated by a writing under them and are grey while the blue ones are sata2. In recent boards the SATA2 standard has almost disappeared because the newer chipsets support more than 2 SATA3 ports, making SATA2 useless.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

No, they look exactly the same, that's why most SATA cables specify what they are on the cable itself with a writing. On motherborads they're usually colour coded, but each brand has their own coding. This is my motherboard, the 6gb sata3 ports are clearly indicated by a writing under them and are grey while the blue ones are sata2. In recent boards the SATA2 standard has almost disappeared because the newer chipsets support more than 2 SATA3 ports, making SATA2 useless.

Alrighty, once again thank you (you aided me in another thread) 

Btw that 9/11 number of posts. Better fix that!

http://www.elektroniktest.dk/images/nyheder/Skribent/stenze/msi_z97_gaming_series/MSI-Z97-Gaming-5-Motherboard.jpg would mean it's only SATA 6gb/s right?

Thank you friend!

NP :)

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I bought a NZXT FZ200mm red LED fan for my NZXT case and I cant figure out how to connect the on/off switch for the LED light. The fan is connected to the 10 fan hub and is working. The LED light for the fan is the only thing I cant figure out on my build. Do you know anything that could help me out or where to go for instructions. The fan didn't come with any kind of instructions by the way.

AMD FX 6300 Black Edition, ASRock 990FX Killer, 16GBs Memory @2133, 2 MSI R9 270x's in Crossfire, NZXT Kraken X41 Cooler, Samsung 850 pro SSD, 1 TB HDD, EVGA Supernova NEX 650 G, and with 4 other fans.

I bought a NZXT FZ200mm red LED fan for my NZXT case and I cant figure out how to connect the on/off switch for the LED light. The fan is connected to the 10 fan hub and is working. The LED light for the fan is the only thing I cant figure out on my build. Do you know anything that could help me out or where to go for instructions. The fan didn't come with any kind of instructions by the way.

@Sauron anything you can help with?

@Sauron anything you can help with?

Sorry, I'm not very experienced with fans. I don't know what the problem might be.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Usually SATA 6GB/S has also a metal lock mechanism. Not always, but i alo don't know any sata 3gb/s with locks, so this may help.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v