Laptop/Device for College?

Dubesta11

I will be going to college in a year and was wondering what I should get for a device. I already have a 5 inch smartphone and enough parts to build 3 gaming computers, but I dont have a decent enough laptop for mobile use. I would say the total would be above 800, but less than 1500. I'm not really concerned about the price right now, but I would like a general idea of what to look at.

For a laptop, it would have to be no larger than 14 inches, generally thin, a battery life of 7+ hours of light usage, light gaming potential (at least 60FPS on minecraft, or something comprimisable), at least 1080p display, middle placed trackpad, and fairly light.

For a tablet I would want something at least 10 inches, non samsung, 10+ hour battery, gaming potential, great screen, expandable storage or at least 64gb built in, and possibly a keyboard dock with built in battery.

Any college students with experience would be most helpful, or anyone with a ideas for brands/what to look for on sale for purchase now. Thanks!

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

I'm currently eyeing this one. http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Computer-Inspiron-i3147-3750sLV-11-6-Inch/dp/B00KMRGF3M

No reviews yet so I am waiting.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Easy. MacBook Pro Retina.

My PC: Intel Core i3-3220 | Alpenföhn Civetta | XFX HD 7770 1GB | ASRock B75-Pro3-M | Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB | beQuiet PurePower L8 430W | Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB | Kingston V200+ 60GB | NZXT Vulcan | Soundblaster Play Replaced by Notebook + eGPU

My Notebook:   Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, Late 2013; Core i5 4258U @2.4-2.9 Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Iris Graphics 5100 + GTX 960 eGPU

My Phone: OnePlus One with CM12      Camera: Nikon D3200 + 50mm f/1.8G + Kit lenses

I'd go with a MacBook as well if it's for college, if only for the support. If something fails on your laptop while you're studying you don't want to be faffing around trying to RMA the thing. Just walk into an Apple store and they'll either fix it if they can or give you a new one right there. Also if you're doing an IT course you'll probably want to be doing a clean install of Windows but since the OEMs made it almost impossible to do that with the new way of activating over the BIOS you'll find it pretty annoying. 

But I'd probably wait until you start college if you can so you can get the student discount on the Apple website. (college is the same as university in the US right?) 

are you sure 11.6" is enough?

for a 2 in 1 is about as big as I would go.  :lol:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.