URGENT - Built a computer, not going into boot media screen

BenestoTech

Urgent help!

I've just finished building a computer with a friend, and it won't go into the "Insert boot media and restart" screen. We have the monitor plugged into the graphics card, we have checked that everything has been plugged in, and no luck. The Video card is an r7 250 so it doesn't need an external power source. Any ideas?

Yo whats up.

Can you get into the BIOS? If you can't, you might just need to clear the CMOS.

Does the computer stay on after you powered it on? If not, try assembling the computer outside the case. Something might be shorting it out.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Note - there is a quiet noise from inside a computer that sounds like a fan speeding up, then turning off, then speeding up again, in repetitive cycles

Yo whats up.

Can you get into the BIOS? If you can't, you might just need to clear the CMOS.

Does the computer stay on after you powered it on? If not, try assembling the computer outside the case. Something might be shorting it out.

Yes it stays on, turns off when power button is held for 5 seconds

Yo whats up.

erase your hdd and try everything again. 

erase your hdd and try everything again. 

The HDD is blank, there is currently no OS installed. Another note - we get no signal on the monitor when we restart the monitor, 

Yo whats up.

Yes it stays on, turns off when power button is held for 5 seconds

Then the question of whether or not you can access the BIOS is still hanging.

I would suggest suggest clearing the CMOS. Sometimes that can help.

Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with CMOS. Also, we do not know if we can access the BIOS as we have no visuals to tell us this.

Yo whats up.

I just noticed your "location" and was disturbed.

Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with CMOS. Also, we do not know if we can access the BIOS as we have no visuals to tell us this.

Specs man, specs, do you have an IGPU?

Does you motherboard have a video output on it?

If it does, remove GPU and plug monitor into that (i recommend you use either dvi or vga for no problems)

Don't worry if you have to use hdmi or display port

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Do you hear a post beep?Did you plug your Video cable into the Motherboard or Video card?

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

There might be a small button on the rear I/O that you can press to clear the CMOS. 

Else you will have to unplug the PC from the wall, then remove the battery from the motherboard. Then you hold the start button for 5 seconds. Then the CMOS is cleared

And system specs would help.

I just noticed your "location" and was disturbed.

It's a very old inside joke, that I'm probably the only one that remembers. But it will stay. 

We can't help if we're missing information, we're trying our best.

Specs man, specs, do you have an IGPU?

Our specs are:

AMD FX-6300 Black Edition 6-Core Socket AM3+ CPU Processor

Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Motherboard

Gigabyte Radeon R7 250 Overclocked 2GB Video card

8GB 1333MHz RAM 

1TB WD Green

Thermaltake 500W OEM PSU

Does you motherboard have a video output on it?

If it does, remove GPU and plug monitor into that (i recommend you use either dvi or vga for no problems) 

Yeah we have it, I'll try it out.

Yo whats up.

Our specs are:

AMD FX-6300 Black Edition 6-Core Socket AM3+ CPU Processor

Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Motherboard

Gigabyte Radeon R7 250 Overclocked 2GB Video card

8GB 1333MHz RAM 

1TB WD Green

Thermaltake 500W OEM PSU

Yeah we have it, I'll try it out.

Try that out please! If it doesn't work you probably didn't connect something right, you now have to triple check. Congrats.

Sounds like something isn't plugged into the correct place.

Did you make sure all the wires were plugged into the right places on the motherboard?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Do you hear a post beep?Did you plug your Video cable into the Motherboard or Video card?

There was not a motherboard speaker in the motherboard case or with the case so no

Yo whats up.

OK - we just found out that when the VGA cable is plugged into the graphics card and we turn the monitor on, the monitor says no signal. But, when we unplug from the video card, it says cable unplugged....

just plugged into the motherboard, nothing, checking cables AGAIN

Yo whats up.

Ok, just unplugged and replugged 24pin connector and 8 pin CPU connector, nothing. We have VGA plugged into the motherboard, gpu removed, still nothing... ARGH

Yo whats up.

One time i had a friend that built his computer, and it was doing the exact same thing that ours is doing right now - not showing up on the screen. We found out that it was a dead motherboard. Perhaps this is the case too? I dont want to resort to this type of thinking, but it is a possiblity

Yo whats up.

Try that out please! If it doesn't work you probably didn't connect something right, you now have to triple check. Congrats.

Sounds like something isn't plugged into the correct place.

Did you make sure all the wires were plugged into the right places on the motherboard?

There might be a small button on the rear I/O that you can press to clear the CMOS. 

Else you will have to unplug the PC from the wall, then remove the battery from the motherboard. Then you hold the start button for 5 seconds. Then the CMOS is cleared

And system specs would help.

It's a very old inside joke, that I'm probably the only one that remembers. But it will stay. 

When the cable is plugged into the motherboard/GPU, it says NO SIGNAL. When you unplug while the computer is running, the monitor says CABLE NOT CONNECTED

Yo whats up.

When the cable is plugged into the motherboard/GPU, it says NO SIGNAL. When you unplug while the computer is running, the monitor says CABLE NOT CONNECTED

Check other cords, not just the GPU cords.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Monitor detects the cable but computer isn't sending any data so it says NO SIGNAL. Black screen means you've messed something up

Check other cords, not just the GPU cords.

Same thing when we plug it in with VGA on the motherboard, even when we take the GPU out

Yo whats up.