PC wont start up, only fans spin

chuggazconroy

My PC will sometimes not turn on at all, only the CPU, GPU, PSU, and one of the case fans will spin for about half a second, once every 7-10 seconds.

Cpu: AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8 GHz (Stock fan)

Gpu: MSI Radeon R7 260x

Mobo: MSI A78M-E35

Psu: Corsair CX430 (430 watts, 80+ Bronze)

HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB

RAM: 1x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport (DDR3-1600MHz)

Most of the time I can just wait three or four hours and It'll be able to be turned back on, but I'd like to get rid of this problem.

I'm leaning towards the PSU being at fault.

PSU it sounds like but maybe your CPU is overheating.So reapply thermal paste if that doesn't solve it then it is probably a faultily PSu

You can aswell check the connections, a cable might just unplugged (by mistery) or get a new PSU...

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Is the monitor plugged into the video card ? Make sure it is. Also, reseat the RAM stick. 

PC Specs

Intel i5 4670k 4.2ghz @1.20v | Cooler Master 212 Plus | Asus z87-A | Fractal Design Define R4 |Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm HDD | 2x Samsung 840 EVO | Seasonic 520w m12II | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb DDR3 1600mhz | PowerColor 7870 GHz edition | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | NZXT Hue RGB Controller

try to reseat everything.. clean your RAM with an eraser(the gold ones below)

try isolation, trial and error solution.. 

remove your PSU, short the green and black wire on the 24pin(use paperclip or any metal object to fit) and turn it on..

let it run about an hour or more, if it runs smooth, good..

try running the system with no GPU also..

try other RAM slots..

reapply thermal paste and firmly check the heatsink if it went on tightly..

also check your cables.. power/sata cables..

try running the whole system out of the case, might be a ground

if the whole system run smooth out of the case.. apply masking tape on your motherboard standoffs inside the case..

reseat your CPU

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

Ok, I've reseated the CPU, will have to go out and buy some thermal paste tomorrow, tryed turning it on with the video card and hard drive out and it worked.

I put the video card back in and started it and it worked.

I put the hard drive back in and tryed to start it but the first 2 times it didnt work so I made sure all of the power cables were plugged in and it worked.

I don't know why but the 24 pin connector wont quite stay in the port for it all the way. 

One little question, my cpu generally is around 54°C-60°C when idling, would that be considered a good temperature? My room is generally 26°C-32°C (80°F-90°F).

One little question, my cpu generally is around 54°C-60°C when idling, would that be considered a good temperature? My room is generally 26°C-32°C (80°F-90°F).

this is bad i dont like watching my cpu go over 60 even at heavy-non stop gaming 

you should idle at about 40 

Ok, I've reseated the CPU, will have to go out and buy some thermal paste tomorrow, tryed turning it on with the video card and hard drive out and it worked.

I put the video card back in and started it and it worked.

I put the hard drive back in and tryed to start it but the first 2 times it didnt work so I made sure all of the power cables were plugged in and it worked.

I don't know why but the 24 pin connector wont quite stay in the port for it all the way. 

Temperature way too high, especially for AMD (they seem to have lower tolerances), though reapplying the thermal paste should fix it.

Temperature way too high, especially for AMD (they seem to have lower tolerances), though reapplying the thermal paste should fix it.

this is bad i dont like watching my cpu go over 60 even at heavy-non stop gaming 

you should idle at about 40

I've reapplied my thermal paste, I used Arctic Silver 5, but my cpu still reports being at 58°C.

can you try a different cpu cooler? 
ohh and i remember now! try a different psu i had exactly the same problem with you and it was the psu 

First, reset cmos. Then take out your graphic card, and put it back in again... If that doesn't work, unplug every wire and plug it back in again.