Richard Huddy, AMD Gaming Scientist, Interview - Mantle, GameWorks, FreeSync and More!

thewhitestig

Would you guys believe a coke rep if he insinuated that pepsi put drain cleaner in their cola?

No but a Pepsi rep told me that coke puts Cocaine in their cola. Guess that's why it's so addicting

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

No but a Pepsi rep told me that coke puts Cocaine in their cola. Guess that's why it's so addicting

That was true. Coca Leaf extract was an ingredient in the base syrup of 1880, but the amount in the drink was reduced over time as Coca Cola's research team tried to eliminate Cocaine from the recipe. It reached a ratio of 1 part per 50,000,000 (Trinidadian Scorpion peppers, which are the hottest chilli peppers in the world, become undetectable at approximately 1:2,000,000 for comparison) in the 1920s and was finally phased out completely in 1929.

Don't forget that Cocaine was a common ingredient in 19th century medicine.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

What we do know is that games using Gameworks don't perform particularly well on AMD cards. I think we have proof of this, as others have stated.

What was being debated was whether or not this was done intentionally by nVidia, as AMD claims, or it's just a repercussion of how Gameworks is being implemented. (I don't think this matters at all).

As for the argument that AMD would lie to gain customers, I seriously doubt it. For one, they're admitting that nVidia GPUs will perform better. Whether it be because of underhanded tricks or whatever is beside the point for most consumers. They just want performance and don't care how they get it. They're really not going to get sales like that. A few may boycott nVidia, but that would only be a small amount of people (people who have misunderstood the issue, have read partway into the issue, and people who care enough for it to affect a purchasing decision).

From what we know, it seems AMD is making a planet out of a mountain; and assigning motives (speculative without any proof). Gameworks' current implementation can cause problems for AMD, and the only thing AMD can really do is offer up a competing program, which could be bad for the industry.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/183411-gameworks-faq-amd-nvidia-and-game-developers-weigh-in-on-the-gameworks-controversy/4

Pretty nice article to get a balanced view of things btw.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

Thanks for posting, this was a really interesting interview.

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

What we do know is that games using Gameworks don't perform particularly well on AMD cards. I think we have proof of this, as others have stated.

It depends where you get your benchmarks from - for Watch Dogs, Guru3D seems to show an upset of the 'GPU hierarchy' but Tom's Hardware and Techspot benchmark results look pretty normal.

Ahh pcper, I will never forget Ryan Shrout's name after the whole AMD frame pacing issue.

im interested in this line.

what name and after what amd frame pacing issues?

:)

im interested in this line.

what name and after what amd frame pacing issues?

:)

Ryan Shrout is the main guy at PCperspective (PCPER), a review site and YT channel. Back around when the 7990 launched, they were some of the first reviewers to question crossfire's ability to deliver consistent frame intervals. Xfire at the time turned out to be fairly "broken". I believe this is when using FCAT to look at frame times became rather popular and we still see its importance today. With the xdma feature included in the Hawaii chips, AMD was able to fix the issue (at least for dx11) and now 290(x) Xfire trades blows with SLI GK110 in the frame time consistency department (both very good).

Frame pacing was (is) a big deal and Ryan just happened to be one of the early voices that brought the issue into the public eye.

Sorry if I hijacked the question obviously not directed at me! @Askew knows a lot more about this stuff and might have something extra to point out!

Sorry if I hijacked the question obviously not directed at me!

It was a good answer, doesn't matter who it came from.

Nice job :)

Ryan Shrout is the main guy at PCperspective (PCPER), a review site and YT channel. Back around when the 7990 launched, they were some of the first reviewers to question crossfire's ability to deliver consistent frame intervals. Xfire at the time turned out to be fairly "broken". I believe this is when using FCAT to look at frame times became rather popular and we still see its importance today. With the xdma feature included in the Hawaii chips, AMD was able to fix the issue (at least for dx11) and now 290(x) Xfire trades blows with SLI GK110 in the frame time consistency department (both very good).

Frame pacing was (is) a big deal and Ryan just happened to be one of the early voices that brought the issue into the public eye.

Sorry if I hijacked the question obviously not directed at me! @Askew knows a lot more about this stuff and might have something extra to point out!

It was a good answer, doesn't matter who it came from.

Nice job :)

thanks!

They would never embrace mantle anyways for the simple fact that it's their competitor's product.

It's not being gullible, it's a "Hey look at what AMD is saying about Nvidia, take it with a grain of salt, but still educate yourself instead of blindly following one or the other" and if you fail to even consider the possibility, you are the one blindly following Nvidia, not the ones you claim are blindly following AMD... Step back and take an unbiased approach to the situation.

I'm not a fanboy of any name brand, I buy products that are proven to work & my pair of PCs have components from all different manufacturers because I went with what is good for the price, not because it had one name or the other (although, the name on a product can still influence purchases) I've used both AMD and nvidia products (and use both currently) but my driver right now is AMD because I like the direction they are going. That doesn't mean I wont switch to nvidia down the road if they deserve it.

It is being gullible if someone believes it completely without question, which is exactly what some people in this thread are doing.

And if you believed that there was cocaine in coke today because of that then you would be gullible.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.