80+ Gold vs Bronze

Ariona

Hey Awhile ago I was asking for upgrade suggestions. Someone said to get a Bronze because its a minimal difference between bronze and gold for about 30$ more. Can someone explain? 

80plus-chart.jpg

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

The difference is worth 30$ imo as you spare that money pretty quickly in power savings, especially if you have a high wattage power supply and you use it at high loads. 5% efficiency might not seem like a big deal, but it is. Of course it also depends on your budget, bronze is certainly not bad if you can't afford silver or gold.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Unless you're on a tight budget, always go for a higher efficiency rating. It saves on power usage, the PSU can deliver more of its maximum power without wasting too much and the higher efficiency ones tend to use better components than lower ones, which is always good. 

The difference is worth 30$ imo as you spare that money pretty quickly in power savings, especially if you have a high wattage power supply and you use it at high loads. 5% efficiency might not seem like a big deal, but it is. Of course it also depends on your budget, bronze is certainly not bad if you can't afford silver or gold.

Unless you're on a tight budget, always go for a higher efficiency rating. It saves on power usage, the PSU can deliver more of its maximum power without wasting too much and the higher efficiency ones tend to use better components than lower ones, which is always good. 

Thanks you two were helpful =) Gold it is, Now if Only there was a good 550 WAT gold PSU from a manufacturer I like.... I don't think I'll need a 600WAT for a GTX 770....

Thanks you two were helpful =) Gold it is, Now if Only there was a good 550 WAT gold PSU from a manufacturer I like.... I don't think I'll need a 600WAT for a GTX 770....

What's your budget? Corsair, Seasonic and EVGA all make reasonably priced gold rated PSUs. 600W isn't needed for a 770, but it doesn't hurt to have some headroom. 

What's your budget? Corsair, Seasonic and EVGA all make reasonably priced gold rated PSUs. 600W isn't needed for a 770, but it doesn't hurt to have some headroom. 

Well my friend works at tiger direct, he thinks anything over 50$ is stupid, lol. But I'm willing to pay an investment of "green" energy, 100$ USD roughly is my limit for a PSU. 

I heard some vary 50/50 stuff with Seasonic so I only know to look for is corsair and EVGA. Cooler master looked overpriced if I recall. 

@Ariona Seasonic manufacture/design Corsair,CoolerMaster power supplies well all the decent high efficiency ones anyway. Not sure about EVGAs ones.

Pickup an RM550 that will do.  Yeah I looked at the CoolerMaster VS series which is semi modular and is the same price as Corsairs fully modular RM series.couldnt even find the CoolerMaster V series for sale in the UK at least, must be pricey.

Well my friend works at tiger direct, he thinks anything over 50$ is stupid, lol. But I'm willing to pay an investment of "green" energy, 100$ USD roughly is my limit for a PSU. 

I heard some vary 50/50 stuff with Seasonic so I only know to look for is corsair and EVGA. Cooler master looked overpriced if I recall. 

Seasonic make the majority of Corsair's PSUs, they've very good with their own branded ones too. How is over $50 for a PSU stupid? xD It's the most important part of a PC really, if it blows, everything else can go with it. 

This would be my first choice in your price range. 650w 80+ Gold. Fully modular with really nicely done black cables. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K85X2AW/?tag=pcpapi-20

@Ariona Seasonic manufacture/design Corsair,CoolerMaster power supplies well all the decent high efficiency ones anyway. Not sure about EVGAs ones.

Pickup an RM550 that will do.  Yeah I looked at the CoolerMaster VS series which is semi modular and is the same price as Corsairs fully modular RM series.couldnt even find the CoolerMaster V series for sale in the UK at least, must be pricey.

The RM series actually seems to be pretty expensive (more than $100 for the 550w). EVGA PSUs are actually pretty good, and they come with EVGA's famous customer support, although I'm not sure on what it's like outside of Europe. 

@ Yeah by "Not sure about EVGAs ones" I meant whether or not Seasonic manufacture them not whether they were any good or not I should have been clearer

Seasonic make the majority of Corsair's PSUs, they've very good with their own branded ones too. How is over $50 for a PSU stupid? xD It's the most important part of a PC really, if it blows, everything else can go with it. 

This would be my first choice in your price range. 650w 80+ Gold. Fully modular with really nicely done black cables. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K85X2AW/?tag=pcpapi-20

This was the one I was getting but it worried me I can't find a single review of it anywhere, the other version has red ummm GPU power cables and has reviews, but that one you linked I cant find a damn thing on, which worries me a little. 

This was the one I was getting but it worried me I can't find a single review of it anywhere, the other version has red ummm GPU power cables and has reviews, but that one you linked I cant find a damn thing on, which worries me a little. 

It's a good PSU. Some things are just hard to find reviews for.

Don't get the RM550. Get this instead. XFX XTR 550w.  It'll perform better than the RM series and uses higher quality components. Btw,this is a Seasonic G-series rebrand with full modular cables,better fan and semi passive fan profile.