8-pin motherboard power connector question

Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

No, you will fry your motherboard. The pin-outs are different, which is why it is a 6 pin, not an 8 pin. Upgrade your PSU to one with an 8 pin connector. You really don't want to be using a cheap PSU for overclocking, it might fry your entire system.

Hi there. Quick question I'm curious about; the past while I've had a 4-pin plug from my PSU plugged into the 8-pin socket on my mobo, due to the fact that it does not have an 8-pin plug. I've heard this is not recommended if you want to overclock, so what I'm wondering is if the double molex-to-6-pin adapter I found kicking around will supply sufficient power to the CPU so that I could overclock. I've already checked and it does fit into the 8-pin socket. Thanks in advance.

No, you will fry your motherboard. The pin-outs are different, which is why it is a 6 pin, not an 8 pin. Upgrade your PSU to one with an 8 pin connector. You really don't want to be using a cheap PSU for overclocking, it might fry your entire system.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Alright, so basically a 4-pin is the only other thing that can work inside an 8-pin socket besides an actual 8-pin?