Best way to setup computer to tv?

aikoels
Go to solution Solved by stevv,

Not 100% on if this is the right section for me, but it seems to fit, sorry if I'm posting in the wrong spot

I don't know if anyone saw my post from the other day, but basically I want to connect my computer to my tv (through about 60ft of cable...) And I was wondering what type of cabling/setup should I use?

I want to keep it as cheap as possible and I will mainly be using this for gaming. My biggest issue is that at this point hdmi tends to degrade in quality so I am a bit worried about that. My video card (output) is a 660 ti with an hdmi, a display port, and two dvi ports, the tv has an open vga and an hdmi that my ps3 is plugged into (which I can swap out easily enough whenever, so that port is usable). I was looking at things like cat5, however that seems to be mainly for a couple hundred feet, and I feel like it may be overkill and too expensive for my purposes. I also plan on running a usb extension cable with a usb hub or a 3 way splitter for xbox remote, keyboard, and mouse, however I'm not too worried about that, as usb cable is fairly cheap.

Note: The distance is close to about 50 feet, but I haven't gotten an exact measurement (I only used a measuring tape and measured all the places that the cable will go through, I plan to run through some twine the full length to get the exact measurement, but I have to drill some holes first.)

Thanks for any help.

Here are some stuff I've used to run from computer to monitor on other side of room.

For the HDMI cables,

• 50ft is not a problem.  Just need a decent cable that has good insulation will do (or you might get sparkies once in a while).
  • If it's going through walls, and close to electrical wires, get type CL2.
  • After running the cable, connect it with  "port savers" (hdmi extension cable or regular cable and a hdmi coupler will do too) to the tv/computer/console.   So you don't have to worry about the exact length, especially if you might come up a little short. (don't worry, a few feet of regular extension won't kill it as long as the main line is good).

50ft CL2 cable - http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10250&cs_id=1025005&p_id=6052&seq=1&format=2

IMG_1901.JPG

A couple of HDMI port savers or extension cables (because the HDMI CL2 cables are monsters) - http://www.monoprice.com/Product?seq=1&format=2&p_id=2891&CAWELAID=1329459487&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=320013720000010854&cadevice=c&gclid=CjgKEAjwq_qcBRDZ-PeZ7NGQiVwSJAATT7q2kNM9pcgNKU-uDzRu0T0Pl41QEbZgPqxi5r9zUUtjpfD_BwE

For the USB extension

USB active extension - http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030312&p_id=7532&seq=1&format=2

IMG_2066.JPG

Alternatively (good for usb keyboard and mouse, usb 1 spec)

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030313&p_id=6042&seq=1&format=2

Not 100% on if this is the right section for me, but it seems to fit, sorry if I'm posting in the wrong spot

I don't know if anyone saw my post from the other day, but basically I want to connect my computer to my tv (through about 60ft of cable...) And I was wondering what type of cabling/setup should I use?

I want to keep it as cheap as possible and I will mainly be using this for gaming. My biggest issue is that at this point hdmi tends to degrade in quality so I am a bit worried about that. My video card (output) is a 660 ti with an hdmi, a display port, and two dvi ports, the tv has an open vga and an hdmi that my ps3 is plugged into (which I can swap out easily enough whenever, so that port is usable). I was looking at things like cat5, however that seems to be mainly for a couple hundred feet, and I feel like it may be overkill and too expensive for my purposes. I also plan on running a usb extension cable with a usb hub or a 3 way splitter for xbox remote, keyboard, and mouse, however I'm not too worried about that, as usb cable is fairly cheap.

Note: The distance is close to about 50 feet, but I haven't gotten an exact measurement (I only used a measuring tape and measured all the places that the cable will go through, I plan to run through some twine the full length to get the exact measurement, but I have to drill some holes first.)

Thanks for any help.

Intel 3570K - MSI GTX 660Ti 3GB OC Edition - 16GB Corsair LP RAM - ASRock Extreme4 Motherboard - Corsair HX850 - Adata Premier Pro SP900 120GB SSD with Windows 7 - Seagate Barracuda 1TD HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler - CM Storm Enforcer Case - Macbook Pro Early 2011 Laptop

i have the same setup and the way that i do it is through HDMI and it is a lot better then VGA 

i have the same setup and the way that i do it is through HDMI and it is a lot better then VGA 

What about the distance on the HDMI? How long is your cable, and do you have any issues with it?

Intel 3570K - MSI GTX 660Ti 3GB OC Edition - 16GB Corsair LP RAM - ASRock Extreme4 Motherboard - Corsair HX850 - Adata Premier Pro SP900 120GB SSD with Windows 7 - Seagate Barracuda 1TD HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler - CM Storm Enforcer Case - Macbook Pro Early 2011 Laptop

My biggest issue is that at this point hdmi tends to degrade in quality

what do you mean ?

for the peripherals you need an active usb cable at that distance

what do you mean ?

for the peripherals you need an active usb cable at that distance

I have seen a lot of people say that hdmi quality degrades at about 50 or so feet

my connection is less then 25 feet and i have 2 770 and when i was using VGA and went to HDMI the quality was just epic  

What about the distance on the HDMI? How long is your cable, and do you have any issues with it?

i have a 10m(32 ft) hdmi cable(but i don`t need that much anyway,my tv is in my room) and its great,however at 20m i donno.maybe it will work,but its on the limit . if it doesn`t work get a repeater

don`t worry about the output quality of the hdmi. its a digital signal,it doesn`t degrade over distance. either it works or don`t

and grab the cheapest one,the rest is marketing

i have a 10m(32 ft) hdmi cable(but i don`t need that much anyway,my tv is in my room) and its great,however at 20m i donno.maybe it will work,but its on the limit

don`t worry about the output quality of the hdmi. its a digital signal,it doesn`t degrade over distance. either it works or don`t

and grab the cheapest one,the rest is marketing

Thanks for the heads up, also, about the usb cable, would this cable with any usb splitter I can find work okay for my peripherals?

I have a HDMI cable that long, works great. Not sure about the USB. Can you post, if USB works at that length?

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

HDMI doesn't degrade. It either works or it doesn't like orthers said.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

About the USB. At my dads work they have a ''USB to ethernet'' to ''ethernet to USB adapter''.

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

About the USB. At my dads work they have a ''USB to ethernet'' to ''ethernet to USB adapter''.

I would avoid converting cable/protocol types until you're 100% sure that you need to. Stick with an Active USB cable or a USB repeater over converting to ethernet and back.

Does your computer have USB 3.0? If so, I'd recommend using a USB 3.0 cable instead. The reason behind this is that if you're going to use several devices on a USB hub at the end of the cable, you don't want to have any bottlenecking issues. I'm not so much concerned about the overall bandwidth (USB 2.0 should be sufficient in this regard), but I'm more concerned about increased latency from switching between multiple devices on a single USB connection. Having the additional bandwidth in USB 3.0 will have a side-effect of decreasing any potential latency as devices vie for priority. This could be important with time-sensitive devices like the keyboard, mouse, and 360 controller.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I would avoid converting cable/protocol types until you're 100% sure that you need to. Stick with an Active USB cable or a USB repeater over converting to ethernet and back.

Does your computer have USB 3.0? If so, I'd recommend using a USB 3.0 cable instead. The reason behind this is that if you're going to use several devices on a USB hub at the end of the cable, you don't want to have any bottlenecking issues. I'm not so much concerned about the overall bandwidth (USB 2.0 should be sufficient in this regard), but I'm more concerned about increased latency from switching between multiple devices on a single USB connection. Having the additional bandwidth in USB 3.0 will have a side-effect of decreasing any potential latency as devices vie for priority. This could be important with time-sensitive devices like the keyboard, mouse, and 360 controller.

I have have a USB 3.0, however I am unable to find any 3.0 active cables at this length, I only see 2.0, I am not too worried though, the most I should have at any time is two (mouse and keyboard) and I can unplug those when I want to use the controller anyway

Thanks for any help.

Here are some stuff I've used to run from computer to monitor on other side of room.

For the HDMI cables,

• 50ft is not a problem.  Just need a decent cable that has good insulation will do (or you might get sparkies once in a while).
  • After running the cable, connect it with  "port savers" (hdmi extension cable or regular cable and a hdmi coupler will do too) to the tv/computer/console.   So you don't have to worry about the exact length, especially if you might come up a little short. (don't worry, a few feet of regular extension won't kill it as long as the main line is good).

50ft CL2 cable - http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10250&cs_id=1025005&p_id=6052&seq=1&format=2

IMG_1901.JPG

A couple of HDMI port savers or extension cables (because the HDMI CL2 cables are monsters) - http://www.monoprice.com/Product?seq=1&format=2&p_id=2891&CAWELAID=1329459487&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=320013720000010854&cadevice=c&gclid=CjgKEAjwq_qcBRDZ-PeZ7NGQiVwSJAATT7q2kNM9pcgNKU-uDzRu0T0Pl41QEbZgPqxi5r9zUUtjpfD_BwE

For the USB extension

USB active extension - http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030312&p_id=7532&seq=1&format=2

IMG_2066.JPG

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030313&p_id=6042&seq=1&format=2

My Rigs (past and present)

For the HDMI cables,

IMG_1901.JPG

For the USB extension

IMG_2066.JPG

Thanks so much for this!

It looks like I will do this, again thanks so much!