i7 4770k + H80i = 40°C on Idle?

I have my i7 4770k hooked up with H80i, I'm just wondering if the idle temps should be at around 40? I sometimes see its dipping on 94-97 on some certain heavy graphic frames.

hUY8LRF.png

I have also already re seated the H80i, currently waiting for the MX-2 to come. If the temperature doesnt improve, does that mean I have a defective H80i?

The temperature sounds about right. Why are you expecting lower temps? Unless you have a 10C ambient temperature, 40C for 4770K is quite normal. I doubt that you will achieve better cooling no matter what, unless of course you have like a quad radiator cooling just the processor. Anyways, that MX-2 isn't going to help either. If anything, I would definitely chose the MX-4 if I was trying to shave a couple of degrees off. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

The temperature sounds about right. Why are you expecting lower temps? Unless you have a 10C ambient temperature, 40C for 4770K is quite normal. I doubt that you will achieve better cooling no matter what, unless of course you have like a quad radiator cooling just the processor. Anyways, that MX-2 isn't going to help either. If anything, I would definitely chose the MX-4 if I was trying to shave a couple of degrees off. 

Thank you, the reason why I asked is because I saw a post from tomshardware that the same processor and cooler have reached 20C on idle. It would probably be because of their ambient temperature.

Thank you, the reason why I asked is because I saw a post from tomshardware that the same processor and cooler have reached 20C on idle. It would probably be because of their ambient temperature.

Unless the guy who tested it lives on the North Pole and his ambient temperature is -10C, that 20C of idle is impossible to be achieved. Your processor cannot be cooler than your idle temp, it just can't (within reason of course, like LN2 or some other kind of exotic cooling). 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Yup. Idle temps looks good. My H100i has idle of about 31°C and thats on push pull. 

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

I have my i7 4770k hooked up with H80i, I'm just wondering if the idle temps should be at around 40? I sometimes see its dipping on 94-97 on some certain heavy graphic frames.

I have also already re seated the H80i, currently waiting for the MX-2 to come. If the temperature doesnt improve, does that mean I have a defective H80i?

what is your ambient temperature?, cuz my cpu temps are 38C-44C and has stock cooler, my ambient temps are like 32C - 26C (the low temps are when air conditioner is on, and the high ones are when is off)

PC Specs: Case Corsair Vengeance C70 - CPU i7-4770K @3.5Ghz - MOBO Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H - RAM HyperX Fury 2x8GB @1600Mhz - GPU MSI VENTUS RTX 2080 SUPER - HDD Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB, WD Black 4TB - PSU EVGA 750 G2 - Display Samsung S22C150 - CPU Cooler CM 212 Hyper EVO - Mouse Steelseries Sensei 310 - Current Wattage by pcpartpicker: 387W.

Look at your mainboard temp, it's at 33C. Your idle being ~5C higher than that is completely normal. My 4770K is actually idling hotter than yours with a H100i, but my ambients are terrible here. Stupid Texan summer.

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.

I'm getting around 31ºc on idle with my 4670k with stock fan :unsure:

Ambient is around 23ºc

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

What is your ambient temperature? I know you can't compare AMD to Intel but my AMD is at 4.5Ghz and I'm getting 25 on idle with the h80i 

i just measured mine. my ambient temperature is 26C. 

Edited by amadino13

CPU: i7 4790k @4.6GHz MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 7 RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB 1600MHz FAN: NZXT Kraken X60 PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 HDD: 2 x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB RAID 0 CASE: NZXT Switch 810 OS: Windows 10

What is your ambient temperature? I know you can't compare AMD to Intel but my AMD is at 4.5Ghz and I'm getting 25 on idle with the h80i 

i just measured mine. my ambient temperature is 26C.

You can't have your cpu cooler than your ambient unless it's under ln2. Also, amd temp sensors are notoriously inaccurate.

You can't have your cpu cooler than your ambient unless it's under ln2. Also, amd temp sensors are notoriously inaccurate.

indeed, thats impossible, with a realy badass aircooling, which is alot better then the H80i, my FX8350 idles arround 31C

But offcourse this is offtopic.

40C is normal for intel at stock. H80i is just a midrange cooler.

With my Water 2.0 performer I get about 21-22 at idle on my 4770k. I do not know my ambient temperature but it is a little cool.

With my Water 2.0 performer I get about 21-22 at idle on my 4770k. I do not know my ambient temperature but it is a little cool.

so your ambient temp is arround 15C then? thats abit cold to me...

you probably mean your package temps?

so your ambient temp is arround 15C then? thats abit cold to me...

you probably mean your package temps?

No, I would say that my ambient is around 15C, maybe 16C. I also have my side panel off.

No, I would say that my ambient is around 15C, maybe 16C. I also have my side panel off.

Gaming with jacket on then? My ambient is around 23C (max being 27C) and 4770K with U14S is 37C idle and around 40C with really light load. Idle temps don't really matter that much. My old cpu was idling around 45C with aftermarket cooler (U9B).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Thats quite cold..

Gaming Computer | Case: CM Storm Scout II | MB: Asus P8Z77-V LK | CPU: i5 2320@3,6ghz | GFX:  MSI GTX 770 Gaming | RAM: 8gb DDR3 @ 1333mhz | Storage: 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Monitor: 1x Asus VG248QE @ 144Hz , 1x Samsung SyncMaster SA300 @ 77hz OC'd 

Other Device's | Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE@OmniROM | Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1@OmniROM | Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T61 Win 8.1

My 4770k is at 28-32c idle 40-44c under load, amb temp is 24c and this is with an air cooler (Coolermaster V8 GTS)

I had the H80i on a 3770k witch idle'd at 35c

Let's agree to disagree

TBH I would say it's a little bit on the warm side. Thing about the corsair hyrdro series is their thermal compound is so thin that not all of the cold plate might be in contact with the lid. 

When I put my H60 2013 on this is what I found. About a 3rd wasn't in contact because the backplate never added enough pressure or I never screwed it on tight enough. 

How I resolved this was, firstly pushing the coldplate against the CPU and moving it a mm or two left to right to smoosh it into the compound better, then I added rubber rings to the back plate for extra pressure. This made the max load temps drop like 20c. Can't remember idle temps. 

Playing games I'm actually in the 50's celcius at 4.6 OC.

Just noticed your max temps, those are way too high. Make sure all your screws are tightened, and also make sure your thermal monitor or cool n quiet or whatever throttles your PC underload is off in BIOS, also make sure your fan speeds are max, especially the fan speed header that the pump is connected to. But all in all I would buy some thermal compound of your own and reapply the cold plate to the CPU, and really thighten those screws up, especially the stand offs from the back plate, those need to have all the threading on the screw used up, no slack. Use pincing/needle nosed pliers to tighten them if you don't have the special screw driver that looks like a socket wrench tool piece.

on stock clocks, you can expect the CPU idle temperature to be 6-10° higher

than ambient (room temperature) temperature. fan speed does play a lot in

temperatures. the slower (less noise) the warmer the CPU temps get.

It is 29 C here, and it will be around 32 C here for the rest of the summer -_- Might get a better cooler.

I get 40 C on idle with my Hyper 212 Evo with stock fan.

My dream build is a watercooled 450D or 750D with a i7-4930k and 2 780 Ti's in SLI. My realistic build is a $1500 budget build. 

I need a job.

Gaming with jacket on then? My ambient is around 23C (max being 27C) and 4770K with U14S is 37C idle and around 40C with really light load. Idle temps don't really matter that much. My old cpu was idling around 45C with aftermarket cooler (U9B).

Thats quite cold..

Yes I know my basement does not have a heater and is very cold. But lets keep this on topic helping this guy.

I have an MX-2 coming its way to my house. Hopefully it'll do something better. Unfortunately we currently don't have a device to measure room temperatures at the moment lol.

@markordinance

rough guess with the aid of the ac/heat thermostat gets close. even a fish tank

thermometer on the desk can be cheap, easy to find and not obtrusive to look at.