Is Chromecast any good?

I am thinking of buying a Chromecast to replace my Xbox 360 to stream videos to my TV from my PC.

I was wondering if it is worth it?  If any Aussies have one could you please share your experience with the Chromecast.  Is it worth $50 AUD?

Cheers

"Since the Internet is almost diametrically opposed to the notion of Quality Control, in recent years it's been a lot easier to just assume everything's s**t until it can prove itself otherwise".  Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw (2008)

i like mine

Eclipse Version 3: i5 9600K | Asus Strix Z390| GTX 1070 | 16GB Kingston Beast | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD [2] +WD Blue 1TB | NZXT H440 | EVGA 750 W | Dark Rock Pro 4| Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium

I'd highly recommend it. I use that along with Plex/Youtube to stream my movies from an external HDD i've got, as well as watching youtube from bed. It's so convenient because your smart phone is basically your remote.  

Arc Midi R2 | ASUS M5A97r2.0 | AMD FX-8350 | EVGA GTX 780 FTW Edition | Corsair Vengeance 8gb | Corsair RM650w Gold | H100i Cooler | 128gb Samsung SSD | 2tb Seagate Barracuda | 3tb Seagate External

Peripherals: 23" Samsung SyncMaster2333 | Acer 27" 1080p | Corsair Vengenance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Logitech G602 | Razer Megalodon Headset | Vespula Gaming Pad

I am thinking of buying a Chromecast to replace my Xbox 360 to stream videos to my TV from my PC.

I was wondering if it is worth it?  If any Aussies have one could you please share your experience with the Chromecast.  Is it worth $50 AUD?

Cheers

The Chromecast is a nice little device, but it does have a LOT of limitations.

Frankly, I would recommend you get a full-blown stream-box device instead, such as a Roku 3, Apple TV, WD Live TV, etc. They're much more powerful and capable of a lot more. Also codec support tends to be a lot better, especially for the Roku 3. The stream boxes are the size of maybe 2 decks of cards, so it's not like you're taking up a lot of extra space by using one.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Chromecast cause you can put your browser on the big screen.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

I wanted one also, they pop up on ozbargain now and then cheaper too.

I'll wait until more apps run it, until then the trusty wd box will do.

CPU: I74770K @ 4.2, MOBO: ASUS Z87 EXPERT, RAM: CORSAIR VENGANCE PRO 16G @ 1886, GPU: EVGA DUAL FTW GTX 780, CASE: NZXT H440 WHITE, STORAGE: 840 EVO 120GB (OS), 1TB SAMSUNG 7200 RPM (MASS), PSU: CORSAIR RM750, DISPLAY: DUAL LG/ACER 1080p LED, COOLING: H100i, STOCK CASE FANS, ACCESS: RAZER DEATH ADDER + GOLIATH PAD, WHITE SLEEVED CABLES, UV LEDS.

I use mine all the time -- usually every night. I start a Twitch.tv stream (using Twitchcast by NightDev.) and wake up, still going along nicely. Been debating with myself whether or not I should develop an alarm clock app for it. Needless to say, I'd totally buy another if I had another TV that I could use it with.

• 4 weeks later...

I use an app called BubbleUPNP for streaming local media and if I'm over someone else's place I use Plex. Overall I'd say it's worth way more than I paid for it.

• 5 months later...

I've got 3 of them. It does everything I need right from my phone, PC, laptop, Surface pro 3, etc... With Netflix, Plex, YouTube, and the handful of other apps out there I can get pretty much any content I want to my TV from any device in my house, thought I use my cell phone most of the time.

When my wife and I have company over we can both connect to the device and add music or videos to a queue for entertainment. If one of us is looking at something on their computer and wants to show everyone else in the room you can just share it to the chromecast. There is a ton of practical uses for it and I find the interactivity that it provides even better that most other streaming boxes. We have even played Cards against humanity with a small group of people once, but I forget the name of the app that we used.

The one and only downside that I have found so far is streaming video directly from your browser or your phones screen. The "Cast My Screen" option works awesome for sharing pictures, some games, and websites, but if you try and share a Vimeo video, it's lags really bad. Same goes when sharing video from Chrome on your PC (i.e. Vimeo, news sites, etc). 

Over all I say they are well worth it. Though, If you want a sit back and channel surf device this might not be the streaming box for you, but if you want an efficient and easy to use way of getting multiple different pieces of content to your TV, then it's right up your alley.

I like mine, not only that you do get free offers from your chromecast app, so it will eventually pay for itself

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!