Was It Worth It?

Regrets, not springing for a mechanical keyboard upon building it.

Happy now with my model M and g510 but still wish to switch to a cherry mx blue based keyboard.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

OH hell yes it was worth it, i got to play awesome games and i gained loads of experience, it also made me feel like a child again building Lego and Knex!

My specs:Fractal Define R4, i5 2550k, Asus GTX 560ti 2GB, Samsung 840 pro 120GB SSD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM ,Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Corsair 600w PSU

It was worth it. I won't have to upgrade for a while and even if I do, the new Ivy Bridge-E processors and GPUs can be upgraded without any additional components required.

The laptop I bought for £900+ and perform like a dog turd with an i7? Nope, not worth it at all haha! Which is why I'm building a rig that will be worth it!

Yes, my build was worth every penny I spent and even the money I've wasted on cooling fans and heatsinks. A few years ago I stopped buying food from fast food places/restaurants and started making my own, I don't drink, smoke, party or anything like that, so I don't spend much money on recreational activities other than my PC and work out equipment. As far as the financial aspect goes, it was worth it.

If it was something that caused "heartache" or anything like that, I would have never bothered in the first place and would have just purchased a pre-build PC. So that's a non-issue. While building my PC, I see it as a use of time and not even close to a waste of time, so time is also a non-issue.

I can't think of any way that my PC has been a waste of time, I use it for gaming, it helps me with my job and most importantly it makes school work much more efficient and easy.

i5 3570K • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP • 2x Asus GTX 670 SLI • Asus Sabertooth z77 • Asus PCE-AC66 • Crucial M4 256GB • Corsair AX 850 • Sound Blaster Xz • Fractal Define R4 • Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 • Dell U2713HM • Sennheiser RS 180 • Fanatec Porsche GT2 Wheel • Clubsport Pedals

Mine is far from finished and I'm inpatient to get the other components in but yes I'd say it's worth it, though I did want a Core i7 but couldn't afford one lol

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Yes, it was very much worth it.

i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz | 8.00GB DDR4 | MSI Z170A SLI PLUS | GeForce GTX 1070 (Gigabyte) | DELL S2415H (1920x1080@60Hz) Acer 23" S230HL (1920x1080@60Hz) | 120GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO, 1TB Western Digital HDD,  1TB Western Digital HDD | Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

The laptop I bought for £900+ and perform like a dog turd with an i7? Nope, not worth it at all haha! Which is why I'm building a rig that will be worth it!

exactly my situation right now

AMD FX 8320@ Stock - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 - Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz - Corsair Carbide 200R - Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 PCS+OC@970Mhz core 1400Mhz memory - Corsair CS650W - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5" - CM Storm Xornet - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Creative Inspire T3130 2.1

Yeah it was worth it because it can run new games on low settings even though this computer was built quite long ago.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Back when I built my rig (about a year ago), I had not much knowledge about GPUs.

When looking back to that time: I totally regret getting an used GTX 550 Ti for 100€ and new i7 2600K for 338€.

I also regret using only a stock CPU cooler and not buying any fans into my case (still my rig has no case fans, CPU fan is loud as hell). Not to mention getting an used WD Caviar Green SATA-II drive 5400 RPM for 100€ (It was a total ripoff) to that rig when I built it.

However, total cost of that rig was +800€ but I only had to pay 500€. :lol:

Conclusion: with about an -37,5% discount of that badly built rig was totally worth it.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.