Searching for 8+ bay NAS Solution

Go to solution Solved by alpenwasser,

I'm afraid that, as I have done many times before, if I try to build one myself that I will mess up the system. I can't afford to lose any data. And yes, although NAS provides redundancy but not complete safeguarding of your files, I would like to put it to as little risk as possible. If I tinker with my DIY built NAS, I'd probably mess something up, just as I usually do with my PC. (Still can't get that CPU Fan Error message resolved since I began using the Kraken X60 with Noctua fans... really disappointed)

Honestly, if the unit will be with your parents and they don't

have the know-how to do maintenance themselves, I'd actually

recommend a prebuilt over a DIY NAS. I've built a server for

our home network, but if I wasn't living at home I'd likely

have gone a different route. My dad is not technically illiterate

(quite the opposite, he got me started with the whole PC building

thing), but he just doesn't have the time to learn all the

stuff he'd need to know to be able to maintain that machine.

With a prebuilt NAS, there is quite a bit less to worry about,

and even if things do go wrong, Synology has excellent support

from the stories I've read around here. At worst, you'd need

to show your parents how to open a port on the firewall so

that their support can remote into your NAS. And even if

they're not that techie, with a good enough how-to guide, that

should be feasible I'd say.

Hey guys,,

So I am looking for a NAS solution with at least 8 bays because I already have 4 hard drives that are ready to put in. I really DO NOT KNOW how to narrow down NAS solutions so please bear with me.

Below are some of the requirements that I need:

-Personal Cloud with access to my media storage

-Website hosting

Well aside from these two, I don't have any specific preference for any brand.... I was leaning towards Synology simply because other members of this forum recommended its software suite.

Help!

Hey guys,,

So I am looking for a NAS solution with at least 8 bays because I already have 4 hard drives that are ready to put in. I really DO NOT KNOW how to narrowing down NAS solutions so please bear with me.

-Website hosting

Well aside from these two, I don't have any specific preference for any brand.... I was leaning towards Synology simply because other members of this forum recommended its software suite.

Help!

I'd suggest building it yourself, you'll get something more powerful for cheaper. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

Hey guys,,

So I am looking for a NAS solution with at least 8 bays because I already have 4 hard drives that are ready to put in. I really DO NOT KNOW how to narrowing down NAS solutions so please bear with me.

-Website hosting

Help!

Build a PC

My PC cost about £250 and supports 8 drives

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Get a decent case and make a basic PC, install FreeNAS or other similar solution and you are good to go. It's going to be cheaper than a 8bay sinology.

I'd suggest building it yourself, you'll get something more powerful for cheaper. 

Price is not that big of a deal for me. I'd rather get something that just works and spend as little time as possible on it than have to drive myself nuts to get a DIY NAS working. Also, this is in consideration that my parents are going to be using this (simply put, scanning a document is an EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TASK to do, let alone troubleshoot a NAS while I'm away.)

I'm not too familiar with QNAP's products, but presumably they

should have products that fit your needs as well.

For Synology, you could either go with a full-blown 8bay unit,

or you could buy a smaller unit plus an expansion unit. I'd

personally lean towards the single larger unit personally.

8-bay unit

5-bay

5-bay expansion unit

The expansion unit is compatible with not just the 5-bay unit,

check the specs for a full list, you don't necessarily need

to go with 5+5. Though my recommendation would be the 8bay

probably, as said.

Information about website hosting on Synology units.

Information on cloud services on Synology

As mentioned, QNAP probably have similar units and capabilities,

but I'm not very familiar with their product lines.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

As mentioned, QNAP probably have similar units and capabilities,

but I'm not very familiar with their product lines.

It appears that QNAP's TS-870 Pro has nearly doubled the write/read speed compared to the 1813+ from Synology. THat being said, the QNAP TS-870 Pro is a total 500 dollars more than the Synology 1813+. Yeah it's around 1.7times faster read/write but I'm not entirely sure if that $500 is worth spending.

I'm afraid that, as I have done many times before, if I try to build one myself that I will mess up the system. I can't afford to lose any data. And yes, although NAS provides redundancy but not complete safeguarding of your files, I would like to put it to as little risk as possible. If I tinker with my DIY built NAS, I'd probably mess something up, just as I usually do with my PC. (Still can't get that CPU Fan Error message resolved since I began using the Kraken X60 with Noctua fans... really disappointed)

recommend a prebuilt over a DIY NAS. I've built a server for

our home network, but if I wasn't living at home I'd likely

have gone a different route. My dad is not technically illiterate

(quite the opposite, he got me started with the whole PC building

thing), but he just doesn't have the time to learn all the

stuff he'd need to know to be able to maintain that machine.

With a prebuilt NAS, there is quite a bit less to worry about,

and even if things do go wrong, Synology has excellent support

from the stories I've read around here. At worst, you'd need

to show your parents how to open a port on the firewall so

that their support can remote into your NAS. And even if

they're not that techie, with a good enough how-to guide, that

should be feasible I'd say.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

recommend a prebuilt over a DIY NAS. 

Thanks mate! I think I'm gonna go with the prebuilt Synology 1813+