Carbide Air 540 Fan Replacement

Hey guys

I'm going to be picking up a Carbide Air 540 for my next build.

Just wondering what front fans you'd replace the included AF140L with?

I do have 2 Noctua NF-A14 PWM going to waste on my Kraken x60.

Or would it be better to get 3 Noctua NF-P12 120mm and a NZXT Sentry 3 fan controller.

I have a Galaxy GTX780ti HOF going in there as well so airflow has to be good.

Thanks.

im using 3 120mm fans(2 noctua p12 and a Be Quiet i took from my air cooler and replaced with another p12) it seems to do the job very well, lower temps now than when i had the 2 140mm fans that came with it. but if you use a water cooler i would go with 2 140mm fans

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

im using 3 120mm fans(2 noctua p12 and a Be Quiet i took from my air cooler and replaced with another p12) it seems to do the job very well, lower temps now than when i had the 2 140mm fans that came with it. but if you use a water cooler i would go with 2 140mm fans

What length SATA cables do you need for the SSD?

the normal ones that comes with the mobo will be more than enough

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

I would put NF-14 PWM's all around.

I would put NF-14 PWM's all around.

So you think pull the NF-A14's off the Kraken x60 and use them for front intakes with a fan controller.

In all honesty you can't hear the stock NZXT fans when set to Quiet mode, which it is set at all the time, keeps my 3570k@4.2Ghz well under 57c, 63c if I push it to 4.5Ghz.

So I'm guessing it will keep the 4790K@4.4Ghz around the same temps.

So you think pull the NF-A14's off the Kraken x60 and use them for front intakes with a fan controller.

In all honesty you can't hear the stock NZXT fans when set to Quiet mode, which it is set at all the time, keeps my 3570k@4.2Ghz well under 57c, 63c if I push it to 4.5Ghz.

yep Id get 5 of them and run them all of a single PWM motherboard header.

Hey guys

I'm going to be picking up a Carbide Air 540 for my next build.

Just wondering what front fans you'd replace the included AF140L with?

I do have 2 Noctua NF-A14 PWM going to waste on my Kraken x60.

Or would it be better to get 3 Noctua NF-P12 120mm and a NZXT Sentry 3 fan controller.

I have a Galaxy GTX780ti HOF going in there as well so airflow has to be good.

Thanks.

Since you can see all the fans in the 540 I wouldn't go for Noctua on this one. It's a high airflow case so wasting money stuffing Noctua's every where isn't worth it. 3 120mm's front intake, keep the 2 A14's on the kraken and put another 120mm rear exhaust. If money isn't an object I'd get Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro 120mm fans. If it is, any NZXT 120mm fans are great too or Corsair AF or SP quiet editions. 

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro 120mm fans. If it is, any NZXT 120mm fans are great too or Corsair AF or SP quiet editions. 

The Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPRO PLPS 120mm PWM or Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPRO PL-2 120mm, they are both cheaper than Noctua's

I have some SP120 Performance, and even with the LNA they make a horrible whine, so I'll give them a miss...lol

The Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPRO PLPS 120mm PWM or Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPRO PL-2 120mm, they are both cheaper than Noctua's

I have some SP120 Performance, and even with the LNA they make a horrible whine, so I'll give them a miss...lol

Haha yeah they suck but are a good budget choice if you're willing to deal with the noise :P. Noiseblockers are way cheaper than Noctua's where I live too, simply because they're the underrated gems of the pc fan market. PL2's will go great with a fan controller. 

Haha yeah they suck but are a good budget choice if you're willing to deal with the noise :P. Noiseblockers are way cheaper than Noctua's where I live too, simply because they're the underrated gems of the pc fan market. PL2's will go great with a fan controller. 

After seeing the NZXT Sentry 3, I like the look of it.

Good price too...

I'm using a AF140 RED as a exhaust fan, and its dead silent, but I have it set low because you don't want it to suck all the air away from the Kraken..lol

AeroCool's DS series fans are amazing.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Since you can see all the fans in the 540 I wouldn't go for Noctua on this one. It's a high airflow case so wasting money stuffing Noctua's every where isn't worth it. 3 120mm's front intake, keep the 2 A14's on the kraken and put another 120mm rear exhaust. If money isn't an object I'd get Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro 120mm fans. If it is, any NZXT 120mm fans are great too or Corsair AF or SP quiet editions.

So yo udont want to go for noctua just because of look even though it would be the most simple and cleanest method for the build?

the only noiseblockers worth anything are the eloops, the rest are just generic fans

oh an ill agree with the corsair's I can get them so they dont make air noise but they they make a ton of motor noise.

So yo udont want to go for noctua just because of look even though it would be the most simple and cleanest method for the build?

I own both brands and they're both great high performing quiet fans. I use NB's when I want great aesthetics and Noctua's when I don't care so much about aesthetics or when I can hide them in a case like the H440. NB's perform just as good as Noctua's on rads too.

I own both brands and they're both great high performing quiet fans. I use NB's when I want great aesthetics and Noctua's when I don't care so much about aesthetics or when I can hide them in a case like the H440. NB's perform just as good as Noctua's on rads too.

I never said anything against eloops just noise blockers overall and initially you weren't even recommending that. Also your recommeing 120mm fans when his rad and case are inherently 140mm, why not take advantage of that? And I dont believe that eloops are available in 140mm but I might just be wrong. I am also very much a proponent of PWM as you can do a much cleaner and better job of controlling the fans.

If you don't like the fans included, in the front, I'd get some Noctua NF-F12s or some Silverstone Air Penetrators just to get nice directed airflow to your graphics card.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

I never said anything against eloops just noise blockers overall and initially you weren't even recommending that. Also your recommeing 120mm fans when his rad and case are inherently 140mm, why not take advantage of that? And I dont believe that eloops are available in 140mm but I might just be wrong. I am also very much a proponent of PWM as you can do a much cleaner and better job of controlling the fans.

I'm not talking about E-loops either bruh. I'm talking about the PL-2's I recommended. The OP stated he was thinking of using a fan controller so he doesn't need PWM fans. PL-2's come in black and will match the 540 Air nicely while providing great airflow into his case.  If you read my original reply I recommended the OP keep the two A14's he already has, on the Kraken X60. I was strictly talking about the other 4 120mm fans the OP needs for front intake and rear exhaust in the 540. 

I'm not talking about E-loops either bruh. I'm talking about the PL-2's I recommended. The OP stated he was thinking of using a fan controller so he doesn't need PWM fans. PL-2's come in black and will match the 540 Air nicely while providing great airflow into his case.  If you read my original reply I recommended the OP keep the two A14's he already has, on the Kraken X60. I was strictly talking about the other 4 120mm fans the OP needs for front intake and rear exhaust in the 540.

But noiseblockers that arnt eloops are nothing special in the least which is why there cheaper. The Air 540 also support 140mm fans, one in the rear and two in the front. Running 140's is more ideal because they generally move more air at a lower RPM. Yes, you would loose one fan in the front but in my eyes the 140mm and lower noise would make up for it. the other reason I suggested he get the A14's is that he already has two and since they are PWM you can easily wire them to be controller by one header.

But noiseblockers that arnt eloops are nothing special in the least which is why there cheaper. The Air 540 also support 140mm fans, one in the rear and two in the front. Running 140's is more ideal because they generally move more air at a lower RPM. Yes, you would loose one fan in the front but in my eyes the 140mm and lower noise would make up for it. the other reason I suggested he get the A14's is that he already has two and since they are PWM you can easily wire them to be controller by one header.

I disagree. I'm not saying the E-loops suck (quite the opposite) but the PL-2's are great fans too. They would serve their purpose in this build well and don't cost $30 a pop. Anyway bruh, your opinion, my opinion, that's all they are just opinions. Have a good one ;)

The Air 540 also support 140mm fans, one in the rear and two in the front. Running 140's is more ideal because they generally move more air at a lower RPM. Yes, you would loose one fan in the front but in my eyes the 140mm and lower noise would make up for it. the other reason I suggested he get the A14's is that he already has two and since they are PWM you can easily wire them to be controller by one header.

How about 2 of these Noctua NF-P14S Redux 140mm, they are cheaper than the NF-A14 and have a higher static pressure rating.

How about 2 of these Noctua NF-P14S Redux 140mm, they are cheaper than the NF-A14 and have a higher static pressure rating.

I cant get Redux fans yet :( but I plan to use those exact ones in my server.

I cant get Redux fans yet :( but I plan to use those exact ones in my server.

Your not going for the industrial ones then, I've heard they are really loud...

The 17th there are available here.

You've got the Noctua NF-P14R, which are a round 140mm fan or the Noctua NF-P14S which are square, they both have the same rating, just a different shape, and $6 cheaper than the brown Noctua NF-A14

They just have a lower airflow rating than the Noctua NF-A14, plus they don't come with any of those handy fan accessories (LNA, extender cable etc) like the brown/vomit colored ones..

Your not going for the industrial ones then, I've heard they are really loud...

The 17th there are available here.

You've got the Noctua NF-P14R, which are a round 140mm fan or the Noctua NF-P14S which are square, they both have the same rating, just a different shape, and $6 cheaper than the brown Noctua NF-A14

They just have a lower airflow rating than the Noctua NF-A14, plus they don't come with any of those handy fan accessories (LNA, extender cable etc) like the brown/vomit colored ones..

oh i will grab two for my ITX build hopefully cause it could use the airflow. My server really donet need them and I dont wnat to throw the monay at it to get 9 of them.

oh i will grab two for my ITX build hopefully cause it could use the airflow. My server really donet need them and I dont wnat to throw the monay at it to get 9 of them.

I'm going to go for 2 NF-A14 PWM, works out a little cheaper than 3 120mm fans, would be much quieter and would match the ones on the Kraken.

Won't be doing the upgrade until the 4790k comes out, so I got a bit of time, just wish the 140mm fans in the Air 540 were a bit lower down.

I'm going to go for 2 NF-A14 PWM, works out a little cheaper than 3 120mm fans, would be much quieter and would match the ones on the Kraken.

Won't be doing the upgrade until the 4790k comes out, so I got a bit of time, just wish the 140mm fans in the Air 540 were a bit lower down.

sounds good! What are you planing on going with for the rear fan? I would get another and a filter and run it as intake.

You could always try drilling new mounting holes.