Radiator intake or exhaust?

Go to solution Solved by Createinator,

I see what you are saying- I should mount fans in pull basically. I remember Linus' video on that and the rads in push looked pretty bad lol. But should I have the fans pulling air through the rad and INTO the case or pulling air through the rad and OUT of the case for the front and bottom rads?

Oh wait I see what you mean now, derp. But will the heat going into the case be an issue/ self defeating do you think?

You should maintain positive air pressure inside the case for optimum cooling. Having 1 or 2 fans for exhaust and rest for intake is best. You can use the top radiator as exhaust and bottom one for intake. A little warm air will not adversely affect overall temperature inside your case.

I'm fantasizing about watercooling my Phantom 630 from NZXT but I have a question about what to do with front and bottom mounted radiators.

I can fit a 240 in the front of the case and a 240 in the bottom but I'm wondering in that situation if I should have the fans moving air through the rads and into the case or exhausting it out the front and bottom. The top 360 rad would obviously be exhaust as well as a rear 140 or 120mm fan.

I understand that positive pressure inside a case is best to keep dust out but is it better to have all of these rads set to exhaust and just deal with it? Or is dumping some heat back into the case ok?

AMD FX 8350, ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0, Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4x4GB 1866, PNY GTX780, Corsair HX850, Phantom 630, Samsung 120GB SSD, WD Black 2TB HDD

Rest in peace, legend.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, Gigabyte RTX 3070, 32GB RAM, 4TB Samsung SSD, and a crippling depression that causes me to buy games and not play them lol

Intake will be easier to clean and manage. If you install them in pull configuration, i.e. under the radiator pushing air away from it.

Intake will be easier to clean and manage. If you install them in pull configuration, i.e. under the radiator pushing air away from it.

I see what you are saying- I should mount fans in pull basically. I remember Linus' video on that and the rads in push looked pretty bad lol. But should I have the fans pulling air through the rad and INTO the case or pulling air through the rad and OUT of the case for the front and bottom rads?

AMD FX 8350, ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0, Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4x4GB 1866, PNY GTX780, Corsair HX850, Phantom 630, Samsung 120GB SSD, WD Black 2TB HDD

Rest in peace, legend.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, Gigabyte RTX 3070, 32GB RAM, 4TB Samsung SSD, and a crippling depression that causes me to buy games and not play them lol

Oh wait I see what you mean now, derp. But will the heat going into the case be an issue/ self defeating do you think?

Rest in peace, legend.

You should maintain positive air pressure inside the case for optimum cooling. Having 1 or 2 fans for exhaust and rest for intake is best. You can use the top radiator as exhaust and bottom one for intake. A little warm air will not adversely affect overall temperature inside your case.

Ok cool (pun intended)

Rest in peace, legend.

• 8 months later...

I'm going to say intake. I'd rather cool my rad with fresh cold air from the outside than the warm air inside