California Headphones Silverados Review

ItsLinkNotZelda

Edit: After using them for nearly a month, things have changed. Scroll down to the fourth post of this thread.

Hey guys

I would like to thank @ShearMe for his review of these headphones. It convinced me to buy my own pair.

So to begin, a couple months ago, my cousin got some used Shure SE215 and he let me try them out. At first, I couldn't tell the difference between my cheap $20 headphones I got a best buy and the SE215's in terms of audio quality. A couple weeks later, I tried them out again but this time with bigger ear tips. Were they any good? No...

They were AMAZING! This changed the way I heard music forever. Fast forward 2 weeks ago, I saw the California Headphones Silverados for $50 (75% off). I saw a couple reviews on them (Thanks shearme!) and I decided to buy them. Now that I've had them for a while, here is the review

Build Quality: The metal construction is just amazing. They are the best built headphones I've ever bought (Ive only bought 3 headphones in my life.) The leather band and ear pads are amazing. This is truly a "premium headphone."

Comfort: When you get used to them, the comfort is great. The pads are very soft and the clamping force is almost perfect. A bit more clamping force would have been nice since it doesn't always seal very well. I almost fell asleep in them a couple times, but sleeping sideways with headphones on isn't very comfortable. :P

Audio Quality: Note: This is my first pair of real "Audiophile" headphones and I'm not very familiarized with Audio terms and phrases. I used these headphones with a IPod Touch 4G, a Moto X, and my cheap PC.

These headphones are good for most music genres. Where these really shine is Rock/Alternative/Any guitar and drum heavy music. My old headphones would "blend" the drums, but not these. You can clearly hear the drums in every song. You can actually hear when a guitarist would strum the guitar. Words cannot describe how amazing these headphones are when playing rock music.

The bass was great but for some people it may not be enough. The SE215 had more bass in them but nothing a little EQ can't solve.

Vocals came loud and clear. Female vocalist sounded AMAZING.

I do reccomend a AMP for these, but that's because I wasn't getting as much volume as I would like on my cheap PC. I'm planning on getting a Syba DAC/Amp in the future since I've seen a couple people recommend them.

Conclusion: As my first pair of real HiFi headphones, I love them. There are some con's to these but they are minor. They get my full recommendation.

Thanks for reading. If you have feedback or want to correct something, don't hesitate to post it. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Thanks

Edit: I'll post pictures later, imgur is not cooperating.

• 3 weeks later...

So after using them of a month, my thoughts have changed about these headphones. They have stood up the test and have survived one month without a scratch, though the metal is now stained a bit :(.

A problem has arised now. Glasses.

I got some new glasses and let me tell you. They are UNCOMFORTABLE. When I wear the headphones and the glasses, my glasses shift and my vision becomes distorted so to speak. After using them for half and hour, the top of my ear where my glasses sit on hurts. I can't seem to find a position where this wont happen. Without my glasses, I'm practically blind, so taking them off is not an option. After a quick recap, every over the ear headphone had this problem when I used them. Only On Ears and IEMs didn't suffer this problem. I thought I would get used to it but I didn't. Now, I'm planning on selling them to get some IEMs. I blame my oddly shaped head and my poor vision for this.

Note: This problem ONLY affects people with glasses. If you don't wear glasses when listening to music, I still recommend these.