NUC inside a Lego Super Star Detroyer "Case" Mod

Hi all,

I'm pretty sure this is my first post here, but I've been a lurker for a while. I'll start off by saying I'm not sure if this is a build log or not, because I do intend to build this within the next year. Unless people tell me otherwise, I think it's safer to post in this forum.

I'm wondering what everyone think about using a Lego Star Wars Star Destroyer as a "case" for a NUC or similar machine. Details are below, but I'm essentially talking about taking a large (>3 foot or 1 meter length) lego space ship model and changing the internal layout, and possibly cutting bricks, to fit in a small computer. The computer will have it's case removed (I'm willing to lose wireless internet - most of these use the case for the antenna) and will be using an mSata SSD. I intend to add fans as needed, and I hope to be able to wire LEDs or other lighting in the engines that would be powered from USB port(s) on the computer. The goal for the computer itself is HTPC, lightweight games, and steam in-home streaming or similar for heavier games.

It will be helpful to know that a single, 1x1 Lego brick is 8mm wide and 9.6mm tall - http://www.robertcailliau.eu/Lego/Dimensions/zBasics-en.xhtml

Here are my options for the computer to use:

(I use "NUC" to mean all of the super-small computers that are similar to the Intel product. Most of my initial options ended up being in the Gigabyte Brix line - suggestions for alternatives requested)

Gigabyte Brix Pro GB-BXi5-4570R http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4889#sp

Case dimensions: 62x111.4x114.4 mm

Stripped dimensions: 50x100x105 mm (height approximated from teardown images)

Pros: No dimension is large enough to pose a challenge. Iris Pro graphics will make this a decent HTPC and client for steam in-home streaming, and lighter games. Blower fan will work well in this situation

Cons: height is a bit tall, but not really a problem. Runs very hot.

Gigabyte Brix Gaming GB-BXA8G-8890 http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4930#sp

Case dimensions: 59.6x128x115.4 mm

Stripped dimensions: 50x120x107 mm (all approximated)

Mobo dimensions: 35x100x105 mm (height approximated from teardown images)

Graphics Card dimensions: 15x94x107 mm (height approximated from teardown images)

Pros: Dedicated Graphics card provides much more power, sparing my main system from being used as a streaming host as often. If Mobo and GFX can be seperated, then this computer is very flexible.

Cons: The fan/cooling design assumes that the Mobo and GFX are connected together., so additional fans would be needed if seperated. Also, my limited search did not find anything that would allow the two components to be connected together if physically seperated due to the seemingly proprietary connection. If components are not seperated, then height is the same as the Brix Pro. Memory limited (as far as I can tell) to 1333 MHz. Runs very hot.

Gigabyte Brix AMD GB-BXA8-5545 http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4748#sp

Case dimensions: 29.9x107.6x114.4 mm

Stripped dimensions: 25x100x105 mm (height approximated from teardown images)

Pros: Much smaller height means much easier to stick in places. Graphical power is about equal to Brix Pro/Iris Pro as far as I can tell. Cheapest option. Runs very cool.

Cons:  Less powerful CPU then other options. Memory limited (as far as I can tell) to 1333 MHz.

Gigabyte Brix w/ GTX760

No details yet, should come out in late June I believe. I will probably buy one of these regardless of dimensions, but if the dimensions are right and heat isn't too bad then it would be a good choice here.

Asus GR8

This is on my radar by I haven't looked at anything yet.

Intel NUCs

These lack Iris Pro (as of last time I checked there wasn't a model with it available yet) and are generally a larger footprint than the Gigabyte line. I want at least Iris Pro or an APU.

Zotac Zbox line

I was excited about the Zotac Zbox Linus made a video about a few days ago (EN760?), but the dimensions are too big. Ditto for most of the rest of this product line it looks like, but I didn't do a lot of research.

Other NUC-like products with Iris Pro, APU, and/or dedicated graphics

Primary concerns are dimensions (50x120x110 mm, without case, is about the upper limit), and heat output/cooling requirements.

Here are my options for the Lego model itself:

Official Lego 10221 Super Star Destroyer http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Super-Star-Destroyer-10221 (for pictures of how this is contructed, you'll have to download the ~70MB instruction manual PDF - sorry!)

Cost: $400

Placement of computer inside the model: In the bridge/playset area in the top-middle - see the last two pictures in the photo gallery on the page above

Pros: Easy to obtain, cheaper option

Cons: Will have to obtain extra pieces seperately for extensive modding

Cooling strategy: Open up parts of the middle edge where the top and bottom meet for intake, open up the tail area and exhaust heat out the back. An extensive study of the manual reveals a relatively large and almost unrestricted path out the back/bottom for hot air.

Challenges: structural bar running through center of model will be in the way, unless I build an appropriate-looking vertical extension/enclosure, or cut into the bar and reinforce it with metal.

Fan-made TechLug ST04 Venator Star Destroyer http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.techlug.fr/review-lego-star-wars/ST04/venator-star-destroyer-st04-conception-collective-2009&prev=/search%3Fq%3DTechLug%2BST04%2BVenator%2BStar%2BDestroyer%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3D158%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26channel%3Dsb (for better pictures of how this is contructed, click the "Montage" tab link, or as google translates it, "Mounting")

Cost: $700+

Placement of computer inside the model: Under/inside the bridge tower area

Pros: Larger model with much more open space inside - could fit more than one computer, or quite a few drives, or even liquid cooling if I was clever enough. Note that this model is wider and taller but not significantly longer.

Cons: Pieces must be ordered individually through BrickLink http://www.bricklink.com/ and will be more expensive (plus I have to go to many stores within the site and find all the needed pieces). The instructions are only available as a 700MB PDF that costs 5 euros.

Cooling strategy: Intake air through front/sides, exhaust air out bottom and sides of tail and through holes drilled in the wall of bricks that the engines mount to

Challenges: important structural pieces in immediate area that, if they must be cut, would need to be replaced with suitable reinforcement.

Fan-made TechLug ST04 Venator Star Destroyer - Same as before, different mount place option

Placement of computer inside the model: large open areas to the sides of the model - either halfway between front and back, or at the back where the wall that the engines mount to are

Cooling strategy: Intake air through front and/or one side, exhaust air out back and/or other side

Challenges: the top and bottom come together as a wedge, making measurements and fitting harder. No real option for modifying this decently.

TL;DR: Computer inside a large Lego model of a Star Wars Star Destroyer. Good idea? Bad idea? Suggestions?

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

If you can dream it, you can build it.

The first concern I would have is appropriate cooling. If you can build a tray to hold your mobo and different mounts for your other hardware as well, than it's entirely possible. 

BUILD LOGSSerious Black ] [ Project Lumos ] [ SrsB ]