Check for Bottlenecks

Shatal

Hello everyone on LinusTechTips...

I've sat and wondered for quite some time how exactly you can calculate, or estimate a bottleneck in your computer. I suppose it's mostly guess and games, but I would love to know if there were any kind of calculation you could use

The questions rather simple, can you calculate how big of a bottleneck you got?

My case is a bottleneck

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

Not really. There's always a bottleneck no matter how high end all of your parts are. There's always a limiting factor and it's almost impossible to calculate how big of a bottleneck you have

I understand there's a bottleneck in every system, the point is to make it as slight as possible, would just be lovely if there were some way to calculate how big, or small it were ^^

Well if you want, you can convert your GPU and CPU power to gigaflops. That's a very shallow direct comparison though, and virtually no game ever used just as much CPU as it did GPU.

It also depends what the bottleneck you're looking for relates to. Data transfer? Calculations? And so on.

My advice is, don't worry about it. Your life will be much better if you don't go around worrying about that big scary word 'bottleneck' because it isn't as terrible as you may think. All computers are bottlenecked somewhere, some by 3% some by 50%. As you gain experience with generational shifts in the market, it's easier to judge anyway and this will all be second nature on pure intuition.

Bottom line, don't try to force wisdom...

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Well if you want, you can convert your GPU and CPU power to gigaflops. That's a very shallow direct comparison though, and virtually no game ever used just as much CPU as it did GPU.

It also depends what the bottleneck you're looking for relates to. Data transfer? Calculations? And so on.

My advice is, don't worry about it. Your life will be much better if you don't go around worrying about that big scary word 'bottleneck' because it isn't as terrible as you may think. All computers are bottlenecked somewhere, some by 3% some by 50%. As you gain experience with generational shifts in the market, it's easier to judge anyway and this will all be second nature on pure intuition.

Bottom line, don't try to force wisdom...

Steller of you to give a concluded post! Also the way you gave the point at games do not use the exact same amount of CPU and GPU power were really awesome, overall thanks for your post!

My case is a bottleneck

My work server has two Intel Xeons (crossfire),

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.