Noob question, "wifi to wifi vs wifi to cable"?

as96

Do I get any performance/stability increase if I connect one of the two computers to the router with the cable and the other one stay connected via wireless?

I can't connect both of them with the cable, so am I going to get the same results with "wifi to wifi" as " wifi to cable" or not?

Do I get any performance/stability increase if I connect one of the two computers to the router with the cable and the other one stay connected via wireless?

I can't connect both of them with the cable, so am I going to get the same results with "wifi to wifi" as " wifi to cable" or not?

Why cant you connect both?

Get a switch to add more Ethernet ports to your router, wired is always better than wireless.

As for one on wifi one not, it really wont make much difference, the bandwidth of wifi far exceeds typical usage

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

If you are thinking about the data speed between computers, there is no diffrence in your situation. If you want faster, you should use a switch as ShadowCaptain suggested. A switch is basicly a splitter for your internet cables.

If you are thinking about your internet speed to connect to external websites, that all depends on the max download speed from your ISP. If it is more than 54mbps, you might benefit from a wired connection.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” 

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why cant you connect both?

Get a switch to add more Ethernet ports to your router, wired is always better than wireless.

As for one on wifi one not, it really wont make much difference, the bandwidth of wifi far exceeds typical usage

The problem is not the number of ports on the router, but the walls between the two computers (and of course the router)  :(

I wanted to increase the speed/stability when I stream videos from a computer to another.

At the moment I don't have a way to connect them both wired.

Should I upgrade the router? ( I have a D-Link 2570B).

Thanks for the answers, and sorry if my english is bad.

The problem is not the number of ports on the router, but the walls between the two computers (and of course the router)  :(

I wanted to increase the speed/stability when I stream videos from a computer to another.

At the moment I don't have a way to connect them both wired.

Should I upgrade the router? ( I have a D-Link 2570B).

Thanks for the answers, and sorry if my english is bad.

Can you use a powerline kit? it works by using existing electricity wiring in the house as Ethernet to connect to your router

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Can you use a powerline kit? it works by using existing electricity wiring in the house as Ethernet to connect to your router

I could try, but the house is quite old, so may be a waste of money.

Should I try anyway? there is a TP-Link TL-PA411KIT on Amazon.it, is that good? though there are two of them, so what I do is connect one to the router and the other one to the computer in my room, and the HTPC to the router?

I could try, but the house is quite old, so maybe a waste of money.

Should I try anyway? there is a TP-Link TL-PA411KIT on Amazon.it, is that good? though there are two of them, so what I do is connect one to the router and the other one to the computer in my room, and the HTPC to the router?

Worth a try? You can probably return them if they do not work ( I assume warranty in italy works how it does in england)

Basically you get 2 plugs, one goes into the wall near the router and connects with a cable. then the second plug goes wherever you want it in the house and you run a cable to your device, they work really well

TP link are perfectly ok, I have used Devolo, TP link and netgear they are all basically the same. They work great for me (House is about 20 years old)

If you are thinking about the data speed between computers, there is no diffrence in your situation. If you want faster, you should use a switch as ShadowCaptain suggested. A switch is basicly a splitter for your internet cables.

If you are thinking about your internet speed to connect to external websites, that all depends on the max download speed from your ISP. If it is more than 54mbps, you might benefit from a wired connection.

No is not the internet speed (i'm lucky if I reach 5.50Mb), it's for sharing files between the computers

Worth a try? You can probably return them if they do not work ( I assume warranty in italy works how it does in england)

Basically you get 2 plugs, one goes into the wall near the router and connects with a cable. then the second plug goes wherever you want it in the house and you run a cable to your device, they work really well

TP link are perfectly ok, I have used Devolo, TP link and netgear they are all basically the same. They work great for me (House is about 20 years old)

I knew that I can return an item to them if something is broken or if I changed my mind, but idk if "my house is too old" is a valid reason  :lol:.

I knew that I can return an item to them if something is broken or if I changed my mind, but idk if "my house is too old" is a valid reason  :lol:.

Why? it doesn't say on the packaging, or description, just say it was not "as advertised" or that it was "mis-sold" to you with the wrong information

Well for €27 I could give it a try, if it doesn't work I hope amazon is going to give me some money back  :lol:

I still accept suggestions and opinions if someone want to help  :)

Just a suggestion, but are you able to run any cabling at all? If possible that would be pretty ideal, grab a reel of Cat 5e, a crimping tool, some RJ-45 connectors and maybe some cable clips? You could do quite a neat job if you had access to some basic tools, drill etc :)

If you wanted to get really fancy you could get some wall sockets, keystones and a punch down tool :)

Dependent on where your PCs/Router is you might do well to add a dumb switch somewhere to minimize cable runs.

Might be a hassle, I don't know your room layout etc but I'd always prefer to run some proper cables if at all possible.

Despite what others have said yes, all of the yes. When you send data between two wireless clients not only are you limited to the lowest connection speed of the two but you're also sending two streams of data on the same channel. Think of it like the difference between having one conversation in a room (one client and router) and multiple (two or more clients and router). The flow of words might be more efficient but the more people in the room the harder it is to hear. It's kinda like that but more extreme.

If you make one of those connections wired instead then there's no such problem. In that scenario you're basically back to having one client talk to the router. That's what's so great about a wired connection, with only very extreme exceptions the data sent down one cable doesn't interfere with the data sent down other cables. To go back to the multiple conversations in the same room thing, imagine that some of these people start using sign language. All of a sudden the conversations don't interfere with each other.

for the tl;dr

Just benchmark it. Download a tool like iperf and test it for yourself. Experiment, see what sort of config gives you better performance. It's the best way to learn.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Just a suggestion, but are you able to run any cabling at all? If possible that would be pretty ideal, grab a reel of Cat 5e, a crimping tool, some RJ-45 connectors and maybe some cable clips? You could do quite a neat job if you had access to some basic tools, drill etc :)

If you wanted to get really fancy you could get some wall sockets, keystones and a punch down tool :)

Dependent on where your PCs/Router is you might do well to add a dumb switch somewhere to minimize cable runs.

Might be a hassle, I don't know your room layout etc but I'd always prefer to run some proper cables if at all possible.

I could've done that if it was only for one wall, but there are a few walls between the router and the computer in my room, so i can't do it.