Gtx 880m w/ 8GB of VRAM???

jecho

Does anyone know why laptops are getting such high vram cards? I mean people complained for about a year to get a 6 GB 780. In comparison laptops are terrible for gaming.

<p> AMD Ryzen 7 5800x l ASUS TUF X570-PLUS l G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series RGB 32GB l Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX

Does anyone know why laptops are getting such high vram cards? I mean people complained for about a year to get a 6 GB 780. In comparison laptops are terrible for gaming.

Higher resolutions? more better visual textures? multi-screen?

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

How is it that laptops are terrible in comparison for gaming? An 880m is easily equal to a desktop GTX770. Can a 770 not provide an enjoyable gaming experience. As for the ridiculous amounts of VRAM, I have no idea they could easily cut costs by reducing it.

Probably only 4GB of effective mwmory. I have a friend who bought a laptop with an 860m 4gb just to find it was just 2gb effective.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

High res, and it fills the gap of the lack of power laptop GPUs have

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

it's often just marketing: noobs and non-techies look at at and think that 8GB must mean that it's the most powerful in the universe

even though slapping 8 gigs of gddr5 on a chip seems as hard as expensive (as impossible?)

p.s. i have a 2gb gt540m

Probably only 4GB of effective mwmory. I have a friend who bought a laptop with an 860m 4gb just to find it was just 2gb effective.

So why are the other 2GB there? Just for fun or marketing?

Intel i7-870  //  MSI GTX 670 PE       ///       Intel i7-4500U  //  GT720M

2GB is pretty solid for gaming at 1080p, 3GB gives you some headroom to extra things at 1080p likes game customization for example mods, running higher textures, stepping towards 2.5K resolution.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Pretty sure for marketing.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4