Should I Trade?

ducecake

Ok so I have this beast gaming rig, ill put down the basic specs and then update after school since the entire list is at home. Basically it has a Asus Formula VI mobo, i7 4770k, 16GB RAM, 128SSD, 2TB HDD, Asus GTX770. Dont hate on me but I actually do like Apple products even though personally I think they are way over priced, but I put up some adds because I am just feeling around what I can trade with it, I was looking for a 2012 or newer Macbook Pro and someone actually has offered me a deal. 

So the guy wants to trade a Mid 2012 13' Macbook Pro (in very nice condition) with a cover + wireless keyboard and mouse and also throw in a LaCie 6TB External Thunderbolt Storage to add to the trade to equal it out. He even said that in a super last case then he could add his 1st Gen iPad Mini 64GB if needed (he didn't seem like he wanted to though, lol). 

Uggh its so hard for me because I will miss my sweet baby and miss my games kinda and my beast build but at the same time I just need to know if it is worth it or not? Ill post the links to the devices below. Thanks!

Macbook Pro 2012 

LaCie External HDD

Meh, I wouldn't call your rig a "beast". To me, a rig classified as a beast would have an 2011 CPU.  I can't help but wonder why you'd trade your gaming desktop for a 2012 MBP with integrated graphics. You can't even game on it. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Meh, I wouldn't call your rig a "beast". but I can't help but wonder why you'd trade your gaming desktop for a 2012 MBP. You can't even game on it. 

Yaaa I know but I am moving into programming and dev so I dont need a computer that can "game" really. Gaming is more of a side thing really and all I usually play is BF3 or BF4 and MAYBE Shogun 2.

Why would you want to trade your powerhouse PC for an under powered laptop?

Good question...I am also thinking about being mobile when I go to college, I wish I could just have both and that would be awesome but then the money factor picks in and when im at college I dont know if I will be using the desktop as much. 

well, if you're going to want to game on it, you can forget about it, if I were you I would save up for a while and buy one, or else you might miss your games

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Yeah, I'd want to trade a $600 laptop for a computer worth at least twice that too.

why do u want to trade it?

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

I'd say no.

As you said you're getting into programming why not just use your rig?

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

Ok so I have this beast gaming rig, ill put down the basic specs and then update after school since the entire list is at home. Basically it has a Asus Formula VI mobo, i7 4770k, 16GB RAM, 128SSD, 2TB HDD, Asus GTX770. Dont hate on me but I actually do like Apple products (used to work for them!) even though personally I think they are way over priced, but I put up some adds because I am just feeling around what I can trade with it, I was looking for a 2012 or newer Macbook Pro and someone actually has offered me a deal. 

So the guy wants to trade a Mid 2012 13' Macbook Pro (in very nice condition) with a cover + wireless keyboard and mouse and also throw in a LaCie 6TB External Thunderbolt Storage to add to the trade to equal it out. He even said that in a super last case then he could add his 1st Gen iPad Mini 64GB if needed (he didn't seem like he wanted to though, lol). 

Uggh its so hard for me because I will miss my sweet baby and miss my games kinda and my beast build but at the same time I just need to know if it is worth it or not? Ill post the links to the devices below. Thanks!

Macbook Pro 2012 

LaCie External HDD

I'm not sure if you're trolling or not.. But i wouldn't do it even for 10 of those macbooks, granted i hate Apple but a pc that can do everything and trading that for a laptop that barely can run word on it without needing itunes sounds like a horrible idea.

I would just rather buy a laptop or maybe rent one (if you find anything like that)

Also LaCie external HDD's are known for using shit drives that crashes way to fast..

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

Good question...I am also thinking about being mobile when I go to college, I wish I could just have both and that would be awesome but then the money factor picks in and when im at college I dont know if I will be using the desktop as much. 

I bought a laptop during college thinking that I would take it with me all the time, but in reality it sat at home on my desk. If this is your primary concern, consider an affordable windows laptop, or a tablet with keyboard attachment.

BUILD LOGSSerious Black ] [ Project Lumos ] [ SrsB ]

I'm not sure if you're trolling or not.. But i wouldn't do it even for 10 of those macbooks, granted i hate Apple but a pc that can do everything and trading that for a laptop that barely can run word on it without needing iTunes sounds like a horrible idea.

I would just rather buy a laptop or maybe rent one (if you find anything like that)

Also LaCie external HDD's are known for using shit drives that crashes way to fast..

No im not trolling.... 

What kind of HDD's do they put in there?

I'd say no.

As you said you're getting into programming why not just use your rig?

Well I can use my rig, I even have OSX running on a 5400RMP drive (sad face for it being slow :( ) But if I am in class or on the go I just cannot simply bring my rig along with me. And no I am not going to program on Windows OS. 

I bought a laptop during college thinking that I would take it with me all the time, but in reality it sat at home on my desk. If this is your primary concern, consider an affordable windows laptop, or a tablet with keyboard attachment.

Well I do have a iPad Mini and I could use some of the apps to write code on then transfer to the rig if im out or something.

Oh and for the people that are going crazy about the price and stuff I understand I want a MBPr but even if I dont like it I can just turn around and sell it for almost the same price as my rig and then just get another rig anyways.  

Well I do have a iPad Mini and I could use some of the apps to write code on then transfer to the rig if im out or something. 

I guess it comes down to what kind of code your writing, and how often you feel it will be used for coding on. There's nothing wrong with coding on a PC, just make sure you save and backup often (should be done regardless of platform.)

BUILD LOGSSerious Black ] [ Project Lumos ] [ SrsB ]

No im not trolling.... 

What kind of HDD's do they put in there?

Seagate (not the good ones)

Also, just get a cheap laptop and put Mac OS onto it then, it's way better than getting an old laptop and then not having a good gaming computer when you're not at school or whatever.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

Seagate (not the good ones)

Also, just get a cheap laptop and put Mac OS onto it then, it's way better than getting an old laptop and then not having a good gaming computer when you're not at school or whatever.

Well its not as simple as getting a "cheap" laptop then putting on Mac OSX on it. Actually its a pretty in depth process and one has to know what hardware to choose, and if I ever get a laptop I always prefer a Mac. I have had a couple of Macbooks in the past and I loved them. 

I guess all in all I might just go ahead and save up for one or try to barter with my iPad Mini Retina. Unfortunately when buying one from someone they always try to keep the price high so its not gonna be easy trying to find one that is not expensive.

Ok so I have this beast gaming rig, ill put down the basic specs and then update after school since the entire list is at home. Basically it has a Asus Formula VI mobo, i7 4770k, 16GB RAM, 128SSD, 2TB HDD, Asus GTX770. Dont hate on me but I actually do like Apple products even though personally I think they are way over priced, but I put up some adds because I am just feeling around what I can trade with it, I was looking for a 2012 or newer Macbook Pro and someone actually has offered me a deal. 

Macbook Pro 2012 

LaCie External HDD

Really bad value in my opinion, try to run mac on your current system as a hackintosh. I have a 2013 macbook pro retina 15" and i love it for mobile editing but i couldn't get anything done without my PC and the 13" is way less powerful than my macbook. I would suggest save up so you can buy one to use along side your PC because you have got a very good system and it would be a real downgrade for you to get the macbook. I only buy apple laptops but i would never use one as a 'daily driver'; they are simply not powerful enough. (I am assuming you are going to be gaming and probably some other tasks that require a lot of performance based on your current config). Also had a look on ebay and i saw one for £550 and a computer with similar config as yours was being sold for £850 so you are getting extremely ripped off!

My PC:

CPU: Intel i7 5820k @4.4Ghz | Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe | RAM: 32GB Kingston fury DDR4 | GPU: Asus Strix 980 | Case: Corsair 700d | Storage: 256gb Samsung 950 pro ssd - 2x 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSDs - 120gb Samsung 840 SSD - 60gb Kingston SSD - 30gb Kingston SSD - 1tb WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair 700d | OS: WIndows 10 |

Really bad value in my opinion, try to run mac on your current system as a hackintosh. I have a 2013 macbook pro retina 15" and i love it for mobile editing but i couldn't get anything done without my PC and the 13" is way less powerful than my macbook. I would suggest save up so you can buy one to use along side your PC because you have got a very good system and it would be a real downgrade for you to get the macbook. I only buy apple laptops but i would never use one as a 'daily driver'; they are simply not powerful enough. (I am assuming you are going to be gaming and probably some other tasks that require a lot of performance based on your current config). Also had a look on ebay and i saw one for £550 and a computer with similar config as yours was being sold for £850 so you are getting extremely ripped off!

Oh ok. We'll I was thinking of selling the ipad and the external hdd since they are pretty expensive and then getting a mid range costom system so I then could have the "best" of both worlds. I'm not crazy about specs though.

Oh ok. We'll I was thinking of selling the ipad and the external hdd since they are pretty expensive and then getting a mid range costom system so I then could have the "best" of both worlds. I'm not crazy about specs though.

Thats a good idea since the external drive is probably worth a fair bit (misread it for 2tb originally). Personally i would try and get the newest one possible because i find that Macs get outdated and slow very quickly from my experience but thats only with Hard drives, SSD's will make a big difference. All in all if you fink its a good idea, do it. Personally in your situation i wouldn't do it but i think thats because i need more power than the 13" has and since you don't seem too bothered about gaming i'm guessing power is not an issue to you. As long as you think it is a good deal, do it!

Good luck with it, along as you see your self upgrading it within the next two years (my guess before it starts to get slow) go for it, but you  have to consider it is non upgradable.

:P

My PC:

CPU: Intel i7 5820k @4.4Ghz | Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe | RAM: 32GB Kingston fury DDR4 | GPU: Asus Strix 980 | Case: Corsair 700d | Storage: 256gb Samsung 950 pro ssd - 2x 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSDs - 120gb Samsung 840 SSD - 60gb Kingston SSD - 30gb Kingston SSD - 1tb WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair 700d | OS: WIndows 10 |

Thats a good idea since the external drive is probably worth a fair bit (misread it for 2tb originally). Personally i would try and get the newest one possible because i find that Macs get outdated and slow very quickly from my experience but thats only with Hard drives, SSD's will make a big difference. All in all if you fink its a good idea, do it. Personally in your situation i wouldn't do it but i think thats because i need more power than the 13" has and since you don't seem too bothered about gaming i'm guessing power is not an issue to you. As long as you think it is a good deal, do it!

Good luck with it, along as you see your self upgrading it within the next two years (my guess before it starts to get slow) go for it, but you  have to consider it is non upgradable.

:P

We'll the retinas are non upgradable but this one at least I can still upgrade the RAM and hdd as needed. But I'll take ur advise and think about it!

We'll the retinas are non upgradable but this one at least I can still upgrade the RAM and hdd as needed. But I'll take ur advise and think about it!

Thats the  one advantage with the old model :P just try to compare what you do on your pc and see if you can find a solution on the macbook side. if all vital things have a mac alternativa and you think the hardware is suitable go for it. As I've said I love my macbook, in fact im using it now, so i can tell you, at least in my experience, you will be happy either way!

My PC: