Hi there!

I'm about to get my computer and i want some tips on overclocking since i'm not used to do it.

Maybe more than one of you guys has the same build or similar to mine and did some overclocking.

Here it is the most important components of my build:

CPU: 4770K

GPU: Asus DirectCU II OC 3gb 780

RAM: Corsair Vengance 1866 2x8GB CL9

Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero VII

PSU: Corsair RM650

CPU cooler: Corsair Hydro H100i

SSD: Samsung 840pro 128gb

HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB

Case: NZXT 820

I found some overclocking guides, but they allways say that if i'm new in to overclocking, i should ask if there's people who has a similar build to yours and did some tests before.

My objective:

Gaming in Ultra settings, rendering, video editing and designing with photoshop. I'm not a pro in nothing of those but photoshop,

Thanks for your help guys! I hope i can help you back!

Enigma.

My build is very similar, i got my CPU to 4.2GHz at 1.18 volts

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

Well you don't need to OC but of course it's nice to use all the juice your hardware has...

I'd just google overclocking 4770K and learn from there, or wait that someone who has 4770K posts here some guidelines. For easy basic OC you usually just raise Vcore a bit and leave most of the other stuff on auto.

For games you might want to OC your GPU if you are not getting 60 fps... I recommend downloading MSI After Burner software for monitoring and overclocking your gpu. Basically you just raise your core and memory speeds until you crash (or temps raise too high) on a game or gpu benchmark program.

Don't bother with ram overclocking, it'll most likely just make your system unstable.

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

My build is very similar, i got my CPU to 4.2GHz at 1.18 volts

I plan to do around that too, 4.2 or 4.3, even tho i know that i can go safe till' around 4.5 or even 4.6. I'm not a hardcore overclocker nor gamer, so i won't need "that much".

Well you don't need to OC but of course it's nice to use all the juice your hardware has...

I'd just google overclocking 4770K and learn from there, or wait that someone who has 4770K posts here some guidelines. For easy basic OC you usually just raise Vcore a bit and leave most of the other stuff on auto.

For games you might want to OC your GPU if you are not getting 60 fps... I recommend downloading MSI After Burner software for monitoring and overclocking your gpu. Basically you just raise your core and memory speeds until you crash (or temps raise too high) on a game or gpu benchmark program.

Don't bother with ram overclocking, it'll most likely just make your system unstable.

I know that my stock build is a badass, but... i did buy those components thinking about overclocking and learning about it. I want just what you said, a 60FPS at 1080 on Ultra settings or Very High.

MSI After Burner isn't it just for MSI GPU's? I'll have the Asus tweak and RoG i guess... i know that i have to download some Benchmark programs and CPU/GPU stress tests.

Well, i'll wait for someone who has time to explain it a bit with this build, if not... i'll research my a** off again till' i'm sure of what i'm doing... i don't want to burn my new 3k$ build -_-.

Thanks!

Enigma.

You don't need to OC that system for your objectives. OC for performance gain is needed when you have few years too old system for what you want to have.

For stress testing I vouch for OCCT. Temp monitoring RealTemp and MSI Afterburner and CPU-Z for general monitoring. Don't use Asus' thing for GPU. That is just bad ripoff from Afterburner.

Before doing any OC, make sure that your cooler is working correctly. So run some short stress test (15-30min) to see what is max temps you are getting. Keep an eye on CPU Vcore volts also. They will give you good reference on what temps you'll get when you raise volts manually. On Haswell you shouldn't go over 1.3V. Almost any 4770K should get 4.2GHz OC. 4.2-4.4GHz is good and 4.4GHz+ is great.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I already did, and saved the link for a future OC. Thanks!

You don't need to OC that system for your objectives. OC for performance gain is needed when you have few years too old system for what you want to have.

For stress testing I vouch for OCCT. Temp monitoring RealTemp and MSI Afterburner and CPU-Z for general monitoring. Don't use Asus' thing for GPU. That is just bad ripoff from Afterburner.

Before doing any OC, make sure that your cooler is working correctly. So run some short stress test (15-30min) to see what is max temps you are getting. Keep an eye on CPU Vcore volts also. They will give you good reference on what temps you'll get when you raise volts manually. On Haswell you shouldn't go over 1.3V. Almost any 4770K should get 4.2GHz OC. 4.2-4.4GHz is good and 4.4GHz+ is great.

I will download all those programs ASAP and when i get my computer and build it i'll do the stress tests. I saw that for example Watch Dogs at 1080 and maxing out all the settings doesn't go over 60FPS with my gpu, maybe if i overclock it a little bit it will?

Thanks for your help!

Enigma.