AMD FX-8350

xkronusx
Would you recommend upgrading to the 8350 from an 8120? I get 50-60 fps on battlefield 3 with my MSI GeForce 660/OC Twin Frozr card and the 8120. If i dont upgrade now, i'll upgrade when steamroller comes out
I'm going to wait for Steamroller.

May the Force be with you.

I just saw a review on the 8350 and perform well in alot of scenarios

I Think was the Tek

did a really nice benchmarks.
I honestly stopped trusing toms and anandtech for AMD benchmarks because its very apparent that they are hardcore intel fanboys, with that being said i can tell you from my experience the fx-8350 benchs quite nicely, if you watch my video you can see i get a constant solid fps with ultra 1080p settings.

To be honest i have not used an intel cpu in quite some time so i have no idea how well it matches up to the 8350, i just know the 8350 is better then most of the benchmarks online say it is.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 - Noctua NH-D14 | Asus Crosshair V Formula | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Plextor M5P Extreme 256GB SSD

GPU - Asus AMD Radeon 6950 Direct CU II 2GB |

Seasonic 1000 W Platinum | Cooler Master 690 ii Advanced | Asus VE248H + VE248Q

this guy says otherwize kilmer

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

this guy says otherwize kilmer
Its not really a concise and thorough review though.

Intel Core I5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz w/ Hyper 212 EVO Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H 8GB Patriot Viper 3 1600Mhz CL9 Gigabyte Windforce 3X 7950 @ 1100/1550 Samsung 830 128GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB Fractal Design ​Define R4 Seasonic M12II 750Watt

Well i read through about half the page, loading up every comment on the way down; quite the read.

From what i gather the youtubers benchmark wasn't completely accurate because the games were gpu limited, but there seems to be something missing here, the youtuber also used 2133mhz ram and i thought the 8350 was limited at 1866mhz without overclocking, im pretty sure my board cant go over 1866mhz without overclocking.

My biggest issue here is theres no real way to benchmark both platforms equally, every time theres a benchmark theres some sort of compremise, either they use a low end gpu to force the cpu use, or change the clocks on ram or voltages.

Besides not every game or program is built well, a good example of that is a game like planetside 2 or a really good example is halo 2, even with current hardware it still runs pretty shotty.

In the end what matters most is what you want from your rig, seems like for a lower price cpu and motherboard you can achieve similar performance in games, then also have power to run a decent amount of background programs, for me its voice recording a voip server and a client; but then again its up to the user at the end of the day. Maybe the person enjoys intel better because they use the igp for video enconding, maybe they like amd for the cooler cores and easier overclocking experience, maybe they like nvidia which seems to pair up with intel better, maybe they like radeon so they use an amd chip.

Seems to me its preference vs amount of money available vs (i hate to say it) fanboism. I try to keep as fair as possible, the reason i purchased an fx-8350 was because i already had an am3+ platform and everything to go with it, because i had an fx-8150 before that and a phenom II 550BE before that, i use an amd graphics card so it all makes sense why i run the amd platform. I also take advantage of all the cores because i render videos more then the average person.

tl;dr its a decision you have to make for yourself depending on your needs

CPU: AMD FX-8350 - Noctua NH-D14 | Asus Crosshair V Formula | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Plextor M5P Extreme 256GB SSD

GPU - Asus AMD Radeon 6950 Direct CU II 2GB |

Seasonic 1000 W Platinum | Cooler Master 690 ii Advanced | Asus VE248H + VE248Q