Can't boot from USB on UEFI Motherboard

Go to solution Solved by jameshumphries47,

tell him to use rufus to put the ISO file on the stick!! 

Hey guys, I was helping a friend a while ago on how to install Windows 7 on his new system. He got an MSI H81M-P33 motherboard which happen to have UEFI Click-Bios feature. Since he doesn't have any Optical Drive he is forced to install the OS via USB.

I told him to go to the Boot Sequence Menu but there are 2 USB options in the menu. both are with the same name but the other one with the UEFI label. He said that choosing both result in a error "Reboot and select proper device or insert boot media in selected device and press a key".

I asked him to change a few options in the BIOS like setting the Boot priority to the USB first and disabling the "Execute Bit" option but still won't get the OS installer to work. He said that the USB works fine with other computer so the installer must be copied properly.

Is there anyone here who happens to have similar motherboard or same UEFI version this motherboard has? Or someone who know what options to change in the BIOS to boot properly the installer?

I don't have much experience with UEFI so its hard to help him.

what program is he using to create the bootable USB

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

Not sure but I think he used PowerISO to extract the files from an ISO file.

tell him to use rufus to put the ISO file on the stick!! 

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

Not sure but I think he used PowerISO to extract the files from an ISO file.

If you want to make a Windows bootable USB from an ISO file ~ use RUFUS and if you need a Linux live USB use Unetbootin.

Try a different iso to usb application? isotousb.com is the one I use. Or even Microsoft's .iso to usb would be fine

In bios, select the usb stick that does not say "UEFI: usb stick".

How is this even a problem O.o

I believe problem is USB stick is not created in a UEFI activated Windows. Either you need to close UEFI or create a new flash drive on a UEFI enabled windows machine.
I can't find on internet how to disable UeFI but it's usually in Boot settings or someplace like that i believe. 

Edit: by UEFI activated Windows i mean enabled at bios. And you can close it at bios btw not at windows.

I am only helping him via message on facebook so I can't help him efficiently and he has no experience with BIOS stuff.

I told him to redo the copy of the installer. I usually use the MS USB/DVD Tool to copy the OS. ill probably get a reply tomorrow..

@Goodmane I don't know that you have to be running on UEFI to make a UEFI compatible USB. its the only UEFI system he has access to AFAIK. I can't find any options in the bios to disable UEFI...

I had the same problem when I upgraded my system from 1st gen i7 to 3rd gen i7. My new motherboard was Uefi activated and the usb drive I already had for windows 7 install was giving error saying that i needed to create a windows install disk in a uefi envoirment windows. 

The bios might not give option to close uefi. I think it should but since I can't see it i can't comment from here. Let me check users manual for the board maybe they wrote something about uefi there.

BTW is it  H81M-P33 or H81M-P33v2, it should write on box, on a small barcoded paper. I guess it's not going to matter that much though.

Ok i've looked throught the User's Manual of the motherboard. Unfortunatly there is nothing there about UEFI, actually manual doesn't even cover any settings located in Motherboard Settings page/thing. So i'm guessing it should be there.

But since no one has asked, Are you guys tring to install through USB 3 port? Sorry for noticing it late but my brain just woke up :D

If he's trying to install windows while flash drive is in one of those blue sockets tell him to put the drive in a non blue socket. I think that might be your problem.

Well, it seems like there is a problem with the copying of files in the USB. He has installed the OS now using rufus. ;)

@Goodmane, thanks for the help/suggestions. I was also looking at the manual but its crap and yeah I told him to not use USB 3.0 as it may cause issues.

All fixed now! :)