APU D.G. Budget Build

Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

Is there a guide on how to enable this and is this option available for all mobo (excluding fx cpus)? If that's the case I feel like intel may be better to run multi displays then.

Thanks.

Any platform with integrated graphics will have the option. Depending on the situation, the option may be called igd multi-display or something else.

Eh, I like his build before a little better(with modding to an i5 or i7) only because multitasking is usually handled better on Intel chips, especially webpages where memory leaks can eat up AMD's lesser cache.

memory leak affect cache?

where you get that idea???

Cache and RAM are two different things bro

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Eh, I like his build before a little better(with modding to an i5 or i7) only because multitasking is usually handled better on Intel chips, especially webpages where memory leaks can eat up AMD's lesser cache.

So would I have to jump up to an i5 because he's really hoping for a low price build and an i5 could bring up the price quite a bit ($60CAD). Also if I went with something like this

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/yra7/saved/BWXnTW

How smooth would the computer perform overall over 6 non 1080p displays.

So would I have to jump up to an i5 because he's really hoping for a low price build and an i5 could bring up the price quite a bit ($60CAD). Also if I went with something like this

The problem is, driving the tasks on those 6 displays with just a dual-core, even if hyperthreaded, is going to slow him down, which for traders is generally unacceptable. I'd say the I5 series is probably worth it if fractions of seconds(which do build up in stock trades) matter to him.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

memory leak affect cache?

where you get that idea???

Cache and RAM are two different things bro

They are two different things, but each entry in cache references a certain amount of data in memory called a segment. What happens when that segment gets a leak stuck in it? An entry in cache, which cannot be reassigned to another segment, is stuck holding nothing of value. Memory leaks affect cache BY affecting memory.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Yes but do all mobos have the igd option in the bios? I just need to make sure before I buy everything.

Yes, I already answered that.

It shouldn't make that much of a difference though.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

it shouldn't make that much of a difference though.

And yet the top financial firms in the world literally vie to get 1 building closer to the NYSE because microseconds matter on rapid trading. Stock people are crazy, but they have a point.

If your trader is serious, then i5 performance on a quad core should be his minimum to be driving online trades and even having the screens update.

it shouldn't make that much of a difference though.

Okay, and yea it seems an i3 is good for the job but how smoothly would it run? Right now, when he moves his mouse, it lags a bit. 

Oh and I must have forgotten about the post where you explained about the IGD option. Thanks!

And yet the top financial firms in the world literally vie to get 1 building closer to the NYSE because microseconds matter on rapid trading. Stock people are crazy, but they have a point.

If your trader is serious, then i5 performance on a quad core should be his minimum to be driving online trades and even having the screens update.

He is actually doing quite fine with his current build apparently... which is a laptop with usb-vga adapters to attach around 4-5 monitors. He just wants to replace it because the usb-vga adapters are having some issues and he is tired of fiddling with them everytime he turns on his computer.

And the cheapest i5 (i5-4430) doesn't seem to have too much of a difference? 

He is actually doing quite fine with his current build apparently... which is a laptop with usb-vga adapters to attach around 4-5 monitors. He just wants to replace it because the usb-vga adapters are having some issues and he is tired of fiddling with them everytime he turns on his computer.

And the cheapest i5 (i5-4430) doesn't seem to have too much of a difference?

If the performance is fine, then match or go slightly higher than his current CPU. As per VGA adapters... For shame... How can everything not be hdmi, dvi, or displayport/mini yet?...

If the performance is fine, then match or go slightly higher than his current CPU. As per VGA adapters... For shame... How can everything not be hdmi, dvi, or displayport/mini yet?...

Yea its a mobile CPU so I think either the APU or the i3 will be fine (He will most likely opt for the i3). His monitors are all quite old. I believe he only has one monitor with hdmi? Still no need to spend things that still work fine. haha

Yea its a mobile CPU so I think either the APU or the i3 will be fine (He will most likely opt for the i3). His monitors are all quite old. I believe he only has one monitor with hdmi? Still no need to spend things that still work fine. haha

Understandable. My Dad wouldn't be replacing his 11-year-old rig (still on 32-bit architecture) if one of the two power supplies in it hadn't failed two weeks ago.

Considering the initial parts list and budget being 'lower the better', I don't think there's much money to be thrown around for the system.

Okay, and yea it seems an i3 is good for the job but how smoothly would it run? Right now, when he moves his mouse, it lags a bit. 

Oh and I must have forgotten about the post where you explained about the IGD option. Thanks!

There shouldn't be any lag at all. In terms of handling browsing, the i3 would be a bit smoother but the 6600k should handle visual effects better.

The difference is probably unnoticeable though. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Considering the initial parts list and budget being 'lower the better', I don't think there's much money to be thrown around for the system.

There shouldn't be any lag at all. In terms of handling browsing, the i3 would be a bit smoother but the 6600k should handle visual effects better.

The difference is probably unnoticeable though. 

Understandable. My Dad wouldn't be replacing his 11-year-old rig (still on 32-bit architecture) if one of the two power supplies in it hadn't failed two weeks ago.

Thanks for your input. I think that this build is finally finalized. I will start building it for him once he purchases everything. :)