650 Ti Boost SLI

I was wondering if my Corsair CX600W power supply could handle two Asus 650 Ti Boosts. They require only one PCI-e power cable each, just wondering if its enough juice.

That might be close, I would say if you had a 750 you could definitely do it. Maybe with a 600 though.

I guess 650's are fairly low draw.

I'd be tempted to say yes. But I always err on the side of caution with PSUs, always go overboard.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

650w bronze is recommended.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

that will only suck up like 500 watts, so you are good man

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

Judging on the fact that for one GTX 650 Ti BOOST, a 450 W PSU is recommended by Nvidia, and the cards draw (at max 134 W) that means that with two in sli, they would draw 268W total. Subtract 134 W from 450, you get 316, then add 268 W, the max power consumption, that's 584 W, so you have some to spare. And anyway, you probably will only hit that max load in games like crysis where you are really demanding a lot of power. So I say, risky, but if you get a secound opinion from a friend or something, than your good to go. I took the liberty to post benchmarks of two 650 ti boosts below.

Also, in the video I posted below, you should also think about getting a single 670 card. Now, two 650 ti boosts would be 340$ total, and an after-market 670 runs at $390. However, what justifies spending that premium, is, at the time I am posting this response, Metro Last Light comes bundled with all Nvidia cards that are their 660 and up. That means you just missed the mark with the 650 ti boosts. So its a 50$ game, and the difference between two 650 ti boosts and a 670 is about 50$, so you are basically paying for a game you would get anyway. And with a 670, you don't have to deal with the sli problems you would deal with the 650 ti boosts. This is because, each game has to have SLI integrated in their source code, and if they don't, you render your second card useless and you end up only utilizing half of what you paid for. With the 670, you get all of what you paid for, consistently, In SLI enabled games however, the boosts will trump the 670, but for consistency, the 670 wins.

Hope that helped!

- winny3141 :D

System Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Six-core CPU, AMD Radeon HD 6970 2 GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card, MSI 890FXA-GD70 Motherboard, Kingston Hyper-X 1600 MHz RAM, ADATA 128 GB MLC SSD, 2 TB HDD, Astec Dual 120 mm closed Liquid cooling Loop, Cooler Master 800W Silent Pro Gold (80 Plus Gold Certified) PSU, Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Gaming Keyboard (Love me my Cherry MX Blue Switches), a Razer Taipan Gaming Mouse (8200 dpi 4G sensor FTW!), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

That might be close, I would say if you had a 750 you could definitely do it. Maybe with a 600 though.

I guess 650's are fairly low draw.

I'd be tempted to say yes. But I always err on the side of caution with PSUs, always go overboard.

You can run two 680s off of a 650 watt. You could probably run 3 650s off of a 600 watt.

You can run two 680s off of a 650 watt. You could probably run 3 650s off of a 600 watt.

You could, assuming it's able to output it's rated wattage :P Although, you wouldn't be able to enable SLI.  A 650 Ti Boost can't draw more than 150W (they use less in reality) so a 600W would be fine, although not the most efficient.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback. The only reason I'm even considering getting a second is the single 650 Ti Boost is able to play Tomb Raider Ultra at 50 fps and Battlefield 3 on ultra 45 fps, and Farcry 3 Ultra at 55 fps. I was going to wait for a while, since I haven't found a game that can kill this card on Ultra. The little thing is a powerhouse.

It's perfectly fine. 650Ti Boosts don't draw that much power, max power consumption with a system like that would probably be around 450w at most.

With dual-card setups though, make sure to look up SLI performance reviews and check the scaling on various games. Not all games may make use of the second card fully, so depending on the titles you may find it's better to go for a higher-end card instead, etc. Here's two articles that may be of use:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_650_Ti_Boost_SLI/
http://www.techspot.com/review/661-nvidia-geforce-gtx-650-ti-boost-sli/