What GPU? :(

For the past couple of days I've been trying to figure out what GPU I should buy for my system.

System specs:

Corsair Obsidian 750D

Asus maximus VII Ranger

Intel i5 4670k

Corsair H100i

Corsair AX760

Corsair Vengeance 2x 4gb

Samsung 840 evo 250gb

Seagate Barracude 2tb

Should I go for the Asus r9 290 directcu II or for the Asus 770 directcu II.

From reading reviews and looking at benchmarks I can see the r9 290 easily outperforms the 770.

But with the 770 I have the possibility to go SLI in the future if I want to upgrade.

Also, I want my system to be somewhat quiet. Is the noise level of the r9 290 really as bad as I've heard? On some youtube video's it sounds like an airplane...

Note: I havn't bought the system yet. So any other tips on my setup are always welcome!

The reference 290 is loud, the Directcu2 is not. Go with the 290, you can always Xfire :) 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Only reference AMD cards sound like a jet engine, the DCUII versions are quiet and cool. You're also able to crossfire if you get a 290, so there's even more performance over 2x 770s.

I say go for the 290.

But with the 770 I have the possibility to go SLI in the future if I want to upgrade.

You can crossfire r9 290's too. 

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

290 with a decent aftermarket cooler

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Should I go for the Asus r9 290 directcu II or for the Asus 770 directcu II.

The 290 is slightly more powerfull but runs a little hot but still quiet.

The 770 is a great card also quiet but has less Vram and could be a bit slower in most cases.

Both great cards but I would still prefer the 290 even though it runs a bit hot.

The 290 will stomp all over the 770, however it IS really loud unless you pay for an after market cooler.

The DCUII R9 290 is whisper quiet. It's faster than the GTX 780 let alone the 770 and you can add a second one for CrossfireX.
The 290 is a much higher end card than the 770. The 770 is more in tandem with the 280X.

Thanks for all the fast replies guys!

I will go with the asus r9 290 directcu II.

1 more question, will the corsair ax760 be capable to run the r9 290 in crossfire?

Get something like the MSI r9 290, the Asus one has a lot of issues with bad cooling too.

Get something like the MSI r9 290, the Asus one has a lot of issues with bad cooling too.

Hmm I didnt know that, tought the directcu II was pretty good. Anyone that can confirm the issues?

Also can I run r9 290 in crossfire with a AX760? Or should I buy the ax860?

From reading reviews and looking at benchmarks I can see the r9 290 easily outperforms the 770.

who says you can't crossifire 290s? you can, in fact you can even crossfire a 290 and a 290x when prices drop.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Hmm I didnt know that, tought the directcu II was pretty good. Anyone that can confirm the issues?

Also can I run r9 290 in crossfire with a AX760? Or should I buy the ax860?

760W will do, just google something like Asus 290 cooling issues