How do you clean dirty monitors and UPS?

paulyron

In my old apartment, I have a few monitors and a UPS.  I have to move them to another apartment.  The issue is these devices are very dirty and have lot of dust and all that.  The other issue is there is mold in that apartment but I been using those monitors for years.  There doesn't appear to be mold on the monitors though but that could be cleaned right?

How do I clean these 3 items safely before bringing it to another apartment?  I would be putting all these 3 things on an older 4 foot folding table and then try to wipe it clean.  The screens for the monitors are fine but the wires and cables are very dusty.  I put the UPS on the floor so there is dust and it is definitely dirty.  I got to assume there are mold spores there as well.

So you would wear nitrile gloves to clean it but what would you use to clean it?  Sponge?  Microfiber cloth?  Bounty towels?  Vinegar and water?  70% iso alcohol?  Can't imagine you use soap and water right?  What about wet ones or lysol wipes?  I want to clean each of them and bring them to another apartment.   

Gloves + mask, and then put a lot of elbow grease in it.
First try and get most dust of with vacuum cleaner, then use said vacuum cleaner on blow setting to get rid of the last dust (outside ofcourse).
Then rub everything with some cleaning agent thats not to harsh. And just wipe it all off. Maybe even use a toothbrush for the hard to reach places.
Open up the UPS (im an electrician) and clean that too touroughly. including the fans and fan grills if any.

This is what i wouldve done.

The cleaning isnt hard, its just a lot of work if you want to do it right.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

5 minutes ago, paulyron said:

How do I clean these 3 items safely before bringing it to another apartment

basic window cleaner or a slightly damp soapy rag. same way you'd clean glass really

Just now, HanZie82 said:

Gloves + mask, and then put a lot of elbow grease in it.
First try and get most dust of with vacuum cleaner, then use said vacuum cleaner on blow setting to get rid of the last dust (outside ofcourse).
Then rub everything with some cleaning agent thats not to harsh. And just wipe it all off. Maybe even use a toothbrush for the hard to reach places.
Open up the UPS (im an electrician) and clean that too touroughly. including the fans and fan grills if any.

This is what i wouldve done.

The cleaning isnt hard, its just a lot of work if you want to do it right.

I don't have a vacuum cleaner.  Should a computer repair store have this service or who would I go to ask this?   How much would it cost if I were to bring each item to a computer shop for them to clean each?  Thing is only 1 of my monitors is expensive, it's a 32' 4k.  The other is a smaller one but I still use.  The UPS is old and has no battery but I use it as a surge protector.  

3 minutes ago, paulyron said:

Should a computer repair store have this service or who would I go to ask this?   How much would it cost if I were to bring each item to a computer shop for them to clean each? 

is there actual mold inside of the devices?

becuase if not then you don't have to clean the insides of the devices any more than a can of air duster

Mold grows in damp places so it's not likely you have any on the devices you mention.  If you just need a surge protector, just buy a new one.  They are not that expensive compared to a UPS and you would not have to clean the UPS.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

55 minutes ago, paulyron said:

I don't have a vacuum cleaner.  Should a computer repair store have this service or who would I go to ask this?   How much would it cost if I were to bring each item to a computer shop for them to clean each?  Thing is only 1 of my monitors is expensive, it's a 32' 4k.  The other is a smaller one but I still use.  The UPS is old and has no battery but I use it as a surge protector.  

Buy a vacuum cleaner.   

Look up mold remediation.  DO NOT bring moldy stuff to a shop.  No one needs your mold, for any reason.

Report the mold to the property manager, don't keep it quiet and let it spread.

The monitors can be cleaned with a Lysiol like agent or just a multisurface cleaner if no mold.

Honestly they probably need a blow out with a vacuum and a wipe down with some mild cleaner.  Have you never cleaned anything before?  Not sarcasm, honest question.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

DIL: Ryzen 7800X3D - Gigabyte B650 Gaming X V2 - ASRock Steel Legend 7900GRE - G. Skill Flare X5 CL6000CL32 32GB - TeamGroup MP44L 2TB - Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000w -NZXT H5 Elite

Emma: i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

4 minutes ago, Alan G said:

Mold grows in damp places so it's not likely you have any on the devices you mention.  If you just need a surge protector, just buy a new one.  They are not that expensive compared to a UPS and you would not have to clean the UPS.

Also UPS batteries degrade over time, so an older UPS may not be worthy of being salvaged.

I don't have a vaccum cleaner or any of these things.  I don't even have a hair blowdryer at the moment.

I'm confused when people say soap and water and damp microfiber cloth.  Is that a good idea here?  What about wet one wipes or lysol wipes?

What about 70% iso alcohol?  Someone had suggested this for it.   The UPS is old and need new batteries.  I want to continue using it as a surge protector until I maybe buy a new batteries for it.  The thing is buying 2 new batteries for it probably would cost a good portion of buying a new UPS  

20 minutes ago, paulyron said:

I don't have a vaccum cleaner or any of these things.  I don't even have a hair blowdryer at the moment.

I'm confused when people say soap and water and damp microfiber cloth.  Is that a good idea here?  What about wet one wipes or lysol wipes?

What about 70% iso alcohol?  Someone had suggested this for it.   The UPS is old and need new batteries.  I want to continue using it as a surge protector until I maybe buy a new batteries for it.  The thing is buying 2 new batteries for it probably would cost a good portion of buying a new UPS  

What do you think a wet wipe contains?  Water and a detergent agent (a soap substance).

We're not saying throw them in the bathtub or dishwasher, but a wrung-out washcloth contains very little water.  WAter is a universal solvent, it will dissolve almost any substance short of oil.  Hence the soap. 

Really, just take a rag and a tiny bit of water and some elbow grease.  Cleaning is easier than you're making it.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

DIL: Ryzen 7800X3D - Gigabyte B650 Gaming X V2 - ASRock Steel Legend 7900GRE - G. Skill Flare X5 CL6000CL32 32GB - TeamGroup MP44L 2TB - Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000w -NZXT H5 Elite

Emma: i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

My universal glass/mirror cleaner is a little bit of Dawn detergent (US brand from Procter & Gamble, so I don't know what the equivalent is overseas) in water.  Use a microfiber cloth, wring it out, and use this to clean the surface.  Then, rinse it out with plain water, wring it and go over the surface to clear off any small amount of soap residue.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

On 6/27/2024 at 2:07 PM, emosun said:

is there actual mold inside of the devices?

becuase if not then you don't have to clean the insides of the devices any more than a can of air duster

I don't think there is mold in the devices.  I just went and took a look at it and there is a ton of dust though.

On 6/27/2024 at 2:21 PM, Dedayog said:

Buy a vacuum cleaner.   

Look up mold remediation.  DO NOT bring moldy stuff to a shop.  No one needs your mold, for any reason.

Report the mold to the property manager, don't keep it quiet and let it spread.

The monitors can be cleaned with a Lysiol like agent or just a multisurface cleaner if no mold.

Honestly they probably need a blow out with a vacuum and a wipe down with some mild cleaner.  Have you never cleaned anything before?  Not sarcasm, honest question.

What about the walfort wipes for lens that I will post a few posts below?  I used it just recently at the old apartment and it seemed to clean the side of the monitors with a bit of dust well.  It also clean the monitor screen well as I used it previouslly for this.  I don't have a vacuum.

On 6/27/2024 at 2:22 PM, DarkWaterSong said:

Also UPS batteries degrade over time, so an older UPS may not be worthy of being salvaged.

It degraded in about 3-4 years or so I believe.  The batteries are done and need replacement.  So I want to use it just as a surge protector as I did for a while.  I don't want to throw this UPS away though as I knew if I buy new batteries... I need to buy 2 batteries for this one, then it would work.

On 6/28/2024 at 3:46 PM, Dedayog said:

What do you think a wet wipe contains?  Water and a detergent agent (a soap substance).

We're not saying throw them in the bathtub or dishwasher, but a wrung-out washcloth contains very little water.  WAter is a universal solvent, it will dissolve almost any substance short of oil.  Hence the soap. 

Really, just take a rag and a tiny bit of water and some elbow grease.  Cleaning is easier than you're making it.

Check my post just below.