Is this generation becoming computer illiterate because of TABLETS?

WinNut

again, unfortunately not everyone is like you and I. also bare in mind when I was 12 tablets were just starting to pop up, and still most people of my age barely knew how to turn on a pc (I myself knew little more since I never had a pc for myself before then). then, when I was about your age, I got a used pentium 3 as a consequence of having more space after we moved and it all skyrocketed from there.

I cringe too whenever people try to use a pc as you would a tablet, or when someone complains "the google broke" as your signature says ^^ but I guess we can't do much about it...

Some kids don't even know the fucking basics, they need me to plug in a flash drive for them. It's so sad.

PCs can be fun to take apart and twerk with, the tablet cannot be taken apart and tweaked.

Sure, it's a problem, but only for them. The ones that do possess the knonwledge will be able to sell it , and to many more people than before, for even more banal problems. I say rejoice at illiteracy of computer noobs!

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

HP-Printer-Support.jpg

The picture speaks for itself. Google Cloud Print on Android requires a PC anyway (the PC acts as a print server) and Apple AirPrint does not allow you to play with the DPI and other settings.

I am one of those teens that you speak of. I came to the forum to learn about technology, discuss technology, and educate others about technology.

I think that I am unqualified to speak about growing up with tablets as I grew up around laptops and my first (and only) tablet was the first gen iPad (now belongs to my mother after I got an Air for Christmas), and I must say that when I got the tablet it felt a little more intuitive than the PC platform, but yet was very restrictive. I think that a balance of both is the best.

And we all know printers are the future.

But to be honest most people need PCs less and less in their daily tasks when a phone or a tablet can do everything that they demand.

And we all know printers are the future.

But to be honest most people need PCs less and less in their daily tasks when a phone or a tablet can do everything that they demand.

I am biased (somewhat) in this discussion as a student, we are still required to print and pass in our essays on paper.

All I can think of while reading this thread is the movie "Wall-E".

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

I am biased (somewhat) in this discussion as a student, we are still required to print and pass in our essays on paper.

You are allowed to write your essays on a computer and print them out!? Madness.

We still have to write them by hand.

Damn kids can't write properly anymore... 

You are allowed to write your essays on a computer and print them out!? Madness.

The teachers want them printed out so that they can be hung up on the bulletin board and look nice, however I type nearly everything and I have one of the neatest handwritings in my class. 

This is exactly what companies want! Including Microsoft. I guess this is the future for kids and adults

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

This is exactly what companies want! Including Microsoft. I guess this is the future for kids and adults

I refuse to succumb to it. PC for life!

I believe this was a similar discussion when GUI OSs came out.

Who does know the full power of command line in Windows. Many of us might know some most used commands, but absolutely everything? Not so much, we might need to use Google.

But, the reality of things is that traditional GUI system is dead. It is hard to use, they are better ways. While these "better ways" of today isn't there yet, they are coming close to be.

You have Android, iOS, and Modern UI in Windows 8. Consumers will decide which path is the best.

Desktop computer are "dead". As much as people here refuses to accept that fact, if all your games where "Metro apps", then you won't complain. It would be the same thing.

Also, doesn't mean that the desktop is dead that mouse and keyboard is dead as well, which I think people assume. It won't be, obviously.

Desktop PCs will be just used for workstation, and such. One day we will have a dedicated GPU, with some solid performance that will fit in a device like the Surface Pro, and compatible to med range from the desktop, which will probably be a chip in a fairly blank PCB with no heatsink.

People want mobility, and they want productivity on the go. They buy laptops, or tablets or convertible devices which are slowly entering the market (recently going in full force, due to technology advancement. These devices where on the market since ~2001-02, just now they are making an impact with a big push from Microsoft with their Surface Pro line)

How important is computer literacy when you need to know what you need to do. And also Google.

AMD FX 8350 | 2X XFX RADEON HD7850 | ASUS SABERTOOTH R2.0 | NZXT GUARDIAN 921RB | KINGSTON HYPER-X 2X8GB 

Could be the case... However as tablets are easy to use, they're not that hard to learn to use, and thus you can do daily tasks without as much effort as on a traditional PC (whether a desktop or a laptop). Though it's possible that because of tablets have been going mainstream, people don't know how to operate for example laptops; another portable device, less so that tablets are, but still portable.

Some people who want to learn more about computers, they'll often try to find things out by themselves (Wikipedia, Google... Though even Googling seems to be impossible for today's generation...), whether it's through the internet, or by taking for example IT classes (if available), or having someone to teach it...

Our class (all freshmen in fact) in high school were given convertibles. Luckily they were Windows 8 tablets (for work, duh. Try and do work on Android or iOS effectively other than taking notes), and even though the keyboard dock isn't great, still better than a touch screen. We were given those, as our high school expects us to use them for school work (and free time too if one wants so), and we can pretty much do whatever we want on them (also free to install anything we want on these). Good that no student here isn't too stupid to use PCs. Most can't do troubleshooting though, but still, at least they know well how to use desktop PCs.

We're having those luxuries too. :D

In fact some of out essays have to be printed out, though most of them can be returned by emailing them to teachers.

Even though we can take notes on our Win 8 tablets, most teachers prefer us to take notes on paper. All of of us do write on paper notebooks, but nothing stops us taking notes on tablets or laptops.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

More about how easy is to use it... now force them to use ms-dos xD

YKW? Tomorrow is Tuesday, right?

I am going to grab 5 random kids in the computer lab tomorrow and have them try to operate my teacher's SP97-V rig. I want to see how that goes.

I've first used a PC when I was 3(my dad had one).Smartphones were far from being produced back then.

I don't really like phones and tablets(especially tablets,I hate'em).They're just means of doing some stuff I do back home while I'm away(at school,etc.),but the PC will always be better for me.It's so much easier to use...much more rewarding than just tapping an icon,too.Using shortcuts with your keyboard is so awesome...

However,I know some persons who really don't know how to navigate through a PC,at least not well.They just know the basics,and that's all.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I totally agree with you @WinNut! It seems that because tablets are so easy and dummy-proof, kids don't know how to use a computer, which is sad imo. If we want technology to go somewhere in the future, kids need to be more educated on computers. My school is focused on programming and creating apps, but we never really have general 'how to do stuff on the computer' lessons, just programming, and I HATE THAT being a hardware and software tinkerer. Yes phones and tablets are going to be the future and we have to just live with that, but it's sad that most people who aren't techies like us don't even care about computers anymore :(

Life.exe is missing

hardware [..]tinkerer

Sounds wrong....

My school is a multipurpose school, we have a spot for nerds, spot for dancers, spot for jocks, you get the idea. Sadly, many kids at my school think they are techies when they are not.

Sounds wrong....

My school is a multipurpose school, we have a spot for nerds, spot for dancers, spot for jocks, you get the idea. Sadly, many kids at my school think they are techies when they are not.

I feel ya man :/ Sometimes I worry for our generation of people because a lot of them are stupid and complete assholes for the most part. I know there are kids out there that are really smart and stuff, but that's the minority -_-

Life.exe is missing