Is VA panel much worse than IPS? I am looking to buy a ultrawide VA because thats only one in my budget. Looking for opinions.

Mahbub

I wanna learn coding/programming. So right now I have a 1440p IPS monitor which is a Gigabyte M27Q but I have heard many opinions that ultrawide is better for coding, and I don't like dual monitor setup due to cables and bezels. So I am looking for an ultrawide monitor and I found the gigabyte G34WQC, it's the only one in budget, it's 1440 and 144hz, but it's VA.  https://www.gigabyte.com/Monitor/G34WQC#kf . So I wanna know is VA that bad? Does anyone who has experience with VA? How much of a shock will it be for me to go from IPS to VA? How is this monitor?

bg1.png

You don't need a huge ultrawide monitor to start learning programming. It certainly becomes easier in the future once you're working on bigger and more advanced projects, but for a beginner, it's not a requirement at all. I'm not as into it as I'd like to be, but VSCode on a 16" MacBook Pro or a 27" 1080p Windows desktop has served me perfectly.

To answer your question, VA tends to be more color accurate and nicer to look at than TN and it's much closer to IPS, but it's not the same. Should be fine for you, but it will probably be a noticeable difference coming from IPS. If you're able to go to a store like Best Buy or Micro Center and actually look at some monitors to see the differences in the technology, that would be a good idea.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

VA in theory has better contrast  (darker blacks) and doesn't have that IPS glow - see video below showing the effect -  so it can be better for movies and office work (including programming), but it's not as good for high fps games because of slightly higher latency, that's why IPS is more popular for gaming

I'd suggest checking the RTings.com website for monitor reviews, for example that monitor is reviewed here: Gigabyte G34WQC Review - RTINGS.com

It looks good to me, for programming i don't see anything wrong with it... I'd still connect two video cables to it, to be able to switch between  only one input or both in Picture-by-picture mode, showing up in Windows as two 1720x1440 monitors, as this would allow you to snap windows to portions of the monitor without having to use PowerToys or other utilities.

Definitely no need for coding. But yeah it is a downgrade tech.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |