2 Gamers 1 SteamDeck

Hi All

I'm watching the WAN show and they are talking about the ROG and the Steamdeck and how he was working out his kids could play together.

It gave me a crazy idea something in the vane of 7 gamers 1 CPU, could they get a SteamDeck or something like it to play 2 different games for 2 different people on the go on the 1 device.

I know the SteamDeck would struggle given with many games it doesnt run on anything but low settings and still uses all the power and performance but maybe plays 2 retro games.

If this has being done then my bad.

Thanks

Just because you can, does not mean you should. This is one of those times. Its a handheld device meant for one person, to split the resources for two games, getting it to properly work with Dual OS without conflictions could be a pain for most.

Make it make sense without just buying a computer for the same price and with the intended use.

I fully understand you are 1000% correct just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Doesn't mean it couldn't be a fun video, some of the 7 gamers 1 CPU videos very much would be a pain for most.

But wouldn't it be the natural progression for the series.

8 minutes ago, joshfrog said:

But wouldn't it be the natural progression for the series.

no
The thing that they were demonstrating was how to split up the bonkers number of cores you get on a server CPU to do something they fully acknowledged was dumb from the outset. 
One of the core requirements for any LTT video is a Learning Opportunity and the only thing that the viewer could learn here would be that it's a *terrible* idea with zero value. 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

It started with 2 games 1 CPU, splitting up a powerful gaming PC then went into a more server hardware focus

2 minutes ago, OddOod said:

One of the core requirements for any LTT video is a Learning Opportunity and the only thing that the viewer could learn here would be that it's a *terrible* idea with zero value. 

Yes i know he says that but i also give you exhibits 1, 2 and 3 unless the point is "you should not do this" then how would that be different to 2 Gamers 1 SteamDeck.

Just saying

Entirely different scenarios. Your examples are consumer guidance, not software advice. 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Best I could see possible in this scenario would be a game that is co op but on the same screen. Fireboy and Watergirl comes to mind. This is no different than playing on a standard pc though and wouldn’t be interesting.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU:  Intel Core i7-14700K
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT720
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000

Storage 1: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB

Storage 2: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB
Video Card: EVGA XC3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x2)
Monitor Main: MSI G274QPF-QD 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz