Dbrand “hydrodip” case

14 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

I'm sorry, but they also have skins labelled as concrete, white marble, black carbon and they used to sell ones labelled as wood

image.png.413849039f38f7dd040a664dccba4d8e.pngimage.png.8f37e34c222d869bba5b3f60baa062a0.pngimage.png.8dac892537a640a18ba6ef1e94fe1e2d.png

Meanwhile, the one's made from actual, real leather are labelled as "real leather"

image.png.0c13e4b5b64fa84a180f943d703064a3.png

You people not being able to understand the difference is not false advertising. 

Their product page also claims they've done research regarding chemically-induced brainwashing. I'm sorry, but again, if you people fail at detecting the obvious disconnect, you're beyond help. Of all the hills worth dying on...

Screenshot_20240508-131108_Firefox.thumb.jpg.0ad0430668768778e555b5b63976a507.jpg

Clearly makes it clear it's vinyl tho. Leather says cows died for it, pretty clear it's real leather. So based on those two examples if I bought one that said hydro-dip would I be entirely out of line expecting it to be actually a piece of hydro-dip art on vinyl topped with a clear layer possibly TPU to protect it? It doesn't seem like an illogical leap to me. If it said it was a print of hydro-dip art then I'd expect a print. I don't have any skin in the game except I occasionally enjoy being a contrarian.

3 hours ago, Blasty Blosty said:

3 forum pages of drama for a skin?

Are you new to the Internet?

1 minute ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Its just amazing the things people choose to be upset over.

threads like this are why D-Brand chose to be an asshole as a selling point

2 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Its just amazing the things people choose to be upset over.

It's amazing that anyone actually believes anyone is upset.

4 minutes ago, Erioch said:

It's amazing that anyone actually believes anyone is upset.

no, there are people in this thread who are LEGIT pissed off.

And I'm sitting here laughing at them

On 5/8/2024 at 10:56 AM, Avocado Diaboli said:

Their product page also claims they've done research regarding chemically-induced brainwashing. I'm sorry, but again, if you people fail at detecting the obvious disconnect, you're beyond help. Of all the hills worth dying on...

Congratulations on being brainwashed by their garbage idology of being edgy.

Are you seriously dumb enough to claim it's not false advertising WHEN a customer can do the following:

Search hydrodip cases

Find dbrand's hydrodip page WHICH states "We drowned the Grip Case so you don't have to"

Clicking the see  product, without any indication it isn't hydrodipped on the page and completing an order without knowing it's not hydrodipped.

If you don't think that that's false advertising then you are the one who is beyond help.

On 5/8/2024 at 10:56 AM, Avocado Diaboli said:

Meanwhile, the one's made from actual, real leather are labelled as "real leather"

Just because they list leather as real doesn't mean it's excusable to not state that a hydrodip isn't real.

As for your other examples, if instead of black carbon they called it carbon fiber then I would also have an issue; but again as I stated before if they specified like "So you don't have to touch resin" along with the carbon fiber it would be equally as bad.

As for the marble and concrete the standard person would be able to understand that it obviously wasn't concrete or white marble.  What makes hydrodip bad is that IT IS A THING DONE WITH CASES.

What makes false advertising is essentially going onto the street, finding 10 individuals who know what hydrodipping is and just showing them what was stated.  In this case, "hydrodip" and "We drowned the Grip Case so you don't have to", and showing them the terms/details that one would go through to purchase the product and seeing if they thing the product would be hydrodipped.

You don't get to use the arguments that they make jokes elsewhere, or that they have other products with funny descriptions.  That isn't how "false advertising" works.

1 hour ago, tkitch said:

no, there are people in this thread who are LEGIT pissed off.

And I'm sitting here laughing at them

It's about holding companies accountable though.  Do you seriously not see a problem about "edgy" companies where they literally have something called

"Hydrodip", with the phrase "We drowned the Grip Case so you don't have to" and expect that everyone should just accept outright lies.

It's not acceptable for companies as large as dbrand to operate as they do.  They try excusing everything they do as them just being edgy, but really they are a messed up company that deserves backlash on their actions [and I don't just mean this, I mean the "edgy" comments that were racist, and the whole YouTuber who came out with DM's showing that dbrand was effectively asking for trade secrets/NDA information but played it off as a "joke" after the guy didn't really respond].

The reason why I am against this kind of advertising/marketing is because I see it all to often as well.  A prime example of this, buying a "genuine leather" couch from a very recognizable brand. Their ads all said it was made with genuine leather, the sale rep said it was genuine leather, on asking if it was bonded leather their response was "we use genuine leather for these seats".  Fast forward 6 years, it was time to learn that indeed the "seats" were bonded leather and they only defined seats to be the area you would sit, but the "sides" weren't.

The reason I have issue with this is because someone looking for hydrodipped case could easily come across dbrand's page.  What they would see is their product called hydrodip, and the line "We drowned the Grip Case so you don't have to".  From there they dbrand is a name they might have heard of [but don't know their "marketing"].  While it's not the case for my browsers now, before clicking the "have a nice trip" would land me directly onto the purchasing page [not their other page].  From there there is absolutely zero indication that it is just a skin instead of a product of hydrodipping.

4 hours ago, tkitch said:

So, is this skin supposed to be Hyrdrodip or is it Candy?

There needs to be a clear indication though when naming something that also is a technique.  Hydro dipping a phone case is something people actually do, and it's a product that people actually buy.  Like what everyone else here who is against it has said, if they called it hydrodip style or on the actual page made clear it was a skin applied to the case I don't think anyone would be really be arguing.  Even if they called it hydrodip skin it wouldn't be much of an issue.

It's like the ample amounts of people who call out Tesla and their "Full Self Driving" and even the name "autopilot" [despite that Tesla has disclaimers on what features it actually handles].  Even Linus in the WAN shows, iirc, pretty much trashes on Tesla and how they call it things like FSD.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

3 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

It's about holding companies accountable though.  Do you seriously not see a problem about "edgy" companies where they literally have something called

"Hydrodip", with the phrase "We drowned the Grip Case so you don't have to" and expect that everyone should just accept outright lies.

It's not acceptable for companies as large as dbrand to operate as they do.  They try excusing everything they do as them just being edgy, but really they are a messed up company that deserves backlash on their actions [and I don't just mean this, I mean the "edgy" comments that were racist, and the whole YouTuber who came out with DM's showing that dbrand was effectively asking for trade secrets/NDA information but played it off as a "joke" after the guy didn't really respond].

The reason why I am against this kind of advertising/marketing is because I see it all to often as well.  A prime example of this, buying a "genuine leather" couch from a very recognizable brand. Their ads all said it was made with genuine leather, the sale rep said it was genuine leather, on asking if it was bonded leather their response was "we use genuine leather for these seats".  Fast forward 6 years, it was time to learn that indeed the "seats" were bonded leather and they only defined seats to be the area you would sit, but the "sides" weren't.

Nope, I don't see a problem.

Unless I'm expected to believe that the "Cotton Candy" case is made from spun sugar? 

19 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Nope, I don't see a problem.

Unless I'm expected to believe that the "Cotton Candy" case is made from spun sugar? 

Do you understand the argument?

Hydro-dipping is an actual process that can and does get applied to some phone cases

"Cotton candy" is not, it's a food

The use of the word hydrodip has clear connotations to a process, and the phrasing involving "We drowned the Grip Case so you don't have to"

e.g. Calling a painting "Mona Lisa Oil Paint", do you think it would be acceptable to be a canvas print?

Or what about calling a piece of jewelry "24k gold ring" [but it's really made of bronze]

Or hardware wise, "Gaming monitor like it's 120fps" [but it only supports 60 fps]

I've said it before, what indication is there that this product is not hydrodipped?  [Again, hydro dipping is a legitimate process that some companies do use for cases].

And no the fact dbrand makes things up about descriptions constantly doesn't count as proper disclosure of it not being hydrodipped.

As another but real world example, 

If you find what dbrand was acceptable, then what Razer did should also be acceptable in your mind [after all, they did use N95 grade filters]

@wanderingfool2 you clearly are dead set on dying on this hill, so...  

What you need to do is take it up with a lawyer.   Cuz my opinion (and everyone else's opinion in here) is worth the pixels it's typed out with.

So, be mad all you want, but unless you're willing to take it up with the legal system?  I'm over it.

Also:

If you're trying to compare a fucking phone case to a medically certified product?  Jesus Christ, see a doctor, you probably pulled half a dozen muscles with that reach.  (Or make the comparison when Hydro Dipping has government oversight in how it's done / made and what not.)

6 hours ago, tkitch said:

If you're trying to compare a fucking phone case to a medically certified product?  Jesus Christ, see a doctor, you probably pulled half a dozen muscles with that reach.  (Or make the comparison when Hydro Dipping has government oversight in how it's done / made and what not.)

Don't blame me that you are incompetent enough to read the razer stuff.  Based on your arguments for dbrand here, I could clearly make the same case for Razer (actually more so in that technically what was stated at least in the articles I've seen was correct).

N95 is a specification, Razer from at least what I saw didn't actually say the masks were N95 rated only the filters used were N95 grade filters.  So it's not actually that far off, razer never said it was medically certified.

6 hours ago, tkitch said:

@wanderingfool2 you clearly are dead set on dying on this hill, so...  

What you need to do is take it up with a lawyer.   Cuz my opinion (and everyone else's opinion in here) is worth the pixels it's typed out with.

So, be mad all you want, but unless you're willing to take it up with the legal system?  I'm over it.

Congratulations, you are an idiot for thinking everyone is siding with you.  You are making up only half.  Simple fact is you can't justify WHERE they state it's no hydro-dipped...because you would have to be completely stupid to argue that there shouldn't be some form of disclosure WHEN their product is called hydrodip and they stated something in accordance to the procedure of hydrodipping..

You might be okay letting a company get a free pass, but I'm not especially one that is tone deaf to their racist comment and actively tries violating NDA's.  dbrand has shown they will do pretty much anything if it sells.

Also I posted on page 1, that I can see where OP is coning from. So it isn't like "everyone" is disagreeing with OP.

Anyway I feel the discussion isn't held in good faith anymore.

i noticed this thread when it just got posted, and decided not to interact because the issue should be obvious...

apparently 3 pages later it's still going on.

so.. just so i dont get 20 pages worth of drama in my face again for delivering my opinion in a brief one-liner... this will be a long one.

- dbrand is a company that feeds off internet drama as a means of advertising

- they market themselves as "selling expensive stickers"

- they call their own support team robots, their product pages say the most outrageous nonsense to the point that "redbull gives you wings" obviously none of it should be believable.

- their public image is "being an asshole to everything and everyone".

if this product is exactly where you draw the line with dbrand, you should come out of your cave and touch grass just at least a bit more often, because there's a pattern you missed.

on the note of the hydrodip..

aside from the name of the product, nothing there even implies that hydrodipping is used in the manufacturing.. what they do state is:

- made with 3M vinyl

- military grade impact resistance (why arent you tied into a knot over this one?)

- a story about a failed mind control experiment being the ressearch basis for this case.

yes.. in theory the product name could be misunderstood to mean that they take their black cases, and hydrodip them to apply the pattern. but if you cant use logic to steer yourself away from that mistake.. here's some more things for you to be upset about:

- redbull gives you wings - implying this drink makes you able to fly.

- coca cola's "open happiness" - implying drinking this will make you happy.

- dunkin donuts' "america druns on dunkin" - implying that the united states uses dunkin donuts as a critical fuel source.

fact of the matter is that product names and slogans very often break with reality to convey a more indirect message.

such as:

- redbull gives you wings - figure of speech for "it gives you the energy to keep going"

- coca cola open happiness - refer to fanta TV ads for the figure of speech they condensed down to two words.

- america runs on dunkin - refers to busy people on the road going for a quick takeout of donuts and continue on their way or continue their work.

if all of these sound perfectly sensible to you, to the point this explanation feeling like overbearing.. congrats, you're capable of understanding what the "hydrodip" branding is supposed to be:

- hydrodip, 1950s mind control experiment: it's the same expensive sticker as always, but this one mimics the psychedelic look of artisanally dripping paint onto water to create a semi-random pattern, and we even made a disgustingly obvious marketing blurb to show you how much we are bullshitting you with our expensive stickers.

on that note.. that paint on water technique might have actually been involved in the creation of the patterns. it's not uncommon for that to be done, for example windows 10's default background is actually a photograph of 4 panes of glass suspended in a smoky room with just the right lighting.

whichever side you're on, it's not worth the argument. it's a debate over a name of an expensive sticker made by a company who advertises trough drama. the only reason why dbrand is relevant and "CaseMe" (literally first brand i pulled off a phone case website) isnt, is because dbrand's marketing strategy involves being in constant attention, bad or good doesnt matter, as long as they're front of mind for a lot of people, their expensive stickers will keep selling.

i personally have never, and will probably never buy anything dbrand, because i'd rather buy a roll of vinyl and cut my own stickers for the same price, or buy chinesium phone cases for a third of the price.

i'm not particularly fond of the manufactured company image, especially given they continue that "we're assholes" gag to their customer support..

but from what i've heard their products are really nice, so if you're in the market for expensive stickers and dont care about aftersales experience.. go for it?

2 hours ago, manikyath said:

- military grade impact resistance (why arent you tied into a knot over this one?)

Using "military grade" to puff up anything is stupid because that just means it was done by the lowest bidder.  I don't know why anyone does it.

if it was hydrodipped, wouldn't the design be different every time? sorry if this is completely wrong, i don't know a ton about hydrodipping lol

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

On 5/9/2024 at 9:22 AM, Blasty Blosty said:

Not really. It's more like 3 posts of drama and 3 pages people fulfilling their urge to tell everyone how they don't see any problem.

On 5/9/2024 at 9:22 AM, Blasty Blosty said:

you should try valorant some time

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

It's fascinating what bugs some people and doesn't bug others. I personally have no issue with this branding. We aren't going to agree on everything. If you want to support Dbrand, go for it. If not, that's fine. I don't see the point in a three page thread.

5 hours ago, manikyath said:

on the note of the hydrodip..

aside from the name of the product, nothing there even implies that hydrodipping is used in the manufacturing.. what they do state is:

- made with 3M vinyl

- a story about a failed mind control experiment being the ressearch basis for this case.

yes.. in theory the product name could be misunderstood to mean that they take their black cases, and hydrodip them to apply the pattern. but if you cant use logic to steer yourself away from that mistake.. here's some more things for you to be upset about:

- redbull gives you wings - implying this drink makes you able to fly.

- coca cola's "open happiness" - implying drinking this will make you happy.

- dunkin donuts' "america druns on dunkin" - implying that the united states uses dunkin donuts as a critical fuel source.

It should be noted that what you currently see isn't 100% of what was there at the time of the OP's post.

The OP's screen shows what was present at the time on the splash screen:

A) Name hydrodip

B) Nice big text underneath saying "We drowned the Grip Case so you don't have to."

Now clicking on it, unlike what it currently does of directing you to the product page, instead directed you to a page where you would select the design and go to checkout.

Actually honestly, look at the first image of the OP.  That is effectively all the wording and promotions that you could see at one point in time in regards to hydro-dip...because again clicking to try finding more information would bring you to the purchasing page [where there wasn't any more detailed information like there currently is]

5 hours ago, manikyath said:

But what logic?  [Okay I do appreciate that you did at least provide the current reasoning of it not being hydro-dipped, but the reality is that that wording wasn't accessible at the time...when I first click through I was not able to get to the product page, only the purchasing pages; but it appears dbrand changed it since]

Here's the logic, and honestly where is the fault in this logic

Hydro-dipping is a legitimate process to apply images to a case; companies do do this and make products like this [and there are tutorials on how to do it yourself]

The product is called hydrodip and the phrase "We drowned the Grip Case so you don't have to"

Click on it at the time sent you to the purchasing page [not the product information like it does now...even the purchasing page is different now]

The thing about the other examples you gave is that there is no reasonable assumption the phrase is correct.  In this case it's different in that hydro-dipping a phone case is a real thing that happens.

It would be like RedBull saying "Hydrate yourself with RedBull" [Where with the caffeine levels it doesn't work to hydrate you, but that's not immediately obvious]

Specifically though in terms of logic, no mention the case had a backplate originally.

37 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

"We drowned the Grip Case so you don't have to."

which would be valid criticism, if it was not for the context of other dbrand headliners like this, such as:

"with great power comes no responsibility"

"medical debt not included"

"Always judge a book by it's cover"

"we're as shocked as you are"

"overpriced stickers for overpriced headphones"

"it's either this or a screen replacement"

"time to see what money gets you"

"goodbye dental floss"

"like money but better"

"we probably wont kill you"

none of these are straight-forward product descriptions, to blindly assume this latest one is despite the track record and despite the product page requires you to actively not consider any of the context provided by the website you're on and what products they make.

also - my point isnt that this is a sensible thing to do, or that i agree with any of dbrand's marketing in general.. my point is that this specific example is not worth arguing over when you actually put it in the dbrand context..

it's basicly like making a 3-page debate over how elon musk's timeline for starship IFT4 is unrealistic.. when the man's timelines are so "optimistic" in general that media covering space stuff just call it "elon time". there is a track record you need to ignore to be upset about this one example in this much detail.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

none of these are straight-forward product descriptions, to blindly assume this latest one is despite the track record and despite the product page requires you to actively not consider any of the context provided by the website you're on and what products they make.

The issue is when it comes to false advertising though the idea isn't that you have to know the brand, actually the general concept is that for someone who doesn't know the brand could they be mislead. [It is not for the consumer to try figuring out if a brand is joking or not]

The issue becomes that "We drowned the Grip Case so you don't have to." is vastly different in regards to the other examples you listed.  The examples you listed would be classified as puffery in the eyes of the law.  [And again, you can't claim context on the drowning claim because it's feasible that many people wouldn't look at the other products if they were lets say casually looking for hydro dip cases]

It's why commercials will joke about things that clearly don't actually apply [and anyone would know it doesn't apply], but when they talk about things that could actually relate to a product they start using other terminology or put on disclaimers to make what they are saying technically correct.

Otherwise under the premise of logic you are presenting, I could argue that dbrand could use fake leather on their "real leather" because it's just a name and all their other branding is fake; and other parts of their description make jokes about the claims.

Actually looking through their page, the other one that I would call false advertising is their grip case itself; with "The world's grippiest phone case".  It's a claim that is even made on their product page.

Like I mentioned earlier, an actual case that could happen; An user is searching for a case to hydro dip.  They come across dbrand's page, with a product called hydrodip and says "We drowned the Grip Case so you don't have to".  They click on the product and are presented with the options of which one to buy.  At that stage they wouldn't know dbrand except maybe as a brand that makes phone cases/skins and everything up to that point indicates it is hydrodipped.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

it's basicly like making a 3-page debate over how elon musk's timeline for starship IFT4 is unrealistic.. when the man's timelines are so "optimistic" in general that media covering space stuff just call it "elon time". there is a track record you need to ignore to be upset about this one example in this much detail.

I would say it's more so on the claims of FSD namesake, which is a thing that happened [and iirc Linus has talked about the naming on WAN show before].  It has even lead to lawsuits over it.  Also, the similar claims by Elon stating about how good future versions are is something I do have a beef with; and their claims are why I feel they are trying so hard to make HW3 work over HW4 first...because they will be liable if they can't get HW3 working [despite the long track record of making essentially rose color glass estimates that most people see through].

Personally I genuinely don't see why there's so much argument going on lol, OP has a valid point that the terminology used could be potentially misleading to some, and there's a very easy solution for it:

On 5/8/2024 at 9:13 AM, Bitter said:

They just need to add two words to their marketing wank.

"Hydro-dip inspired print"

Literally just this. Not rocket science. Someone at LMG could simply tip a contact off at Dbrand that they probably should make a minor change to their webpage. That's literally it. OP is a customer, and if he felt that one of the pages affected his buying decision because it's confusing then I think it's fair game to let LMG have a look at it, that's the point of the forum. If LMG thinks it's a legit complaint they'll let Dbrand know, since if nothing else it will free up dbrand support channels, and future customers will be more informed about what they're actually buying, it's a win win situation, no one loses!

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

On 5/11/2024 at 1:42 AM, Birblover12 said:

I genuinely don't see why there's so much argument going on

Because fanboys gonna fanboy. Otherwise, it would be a 3-post thread either way.

On 5/10/2024 at 1:45 PM, manikyath said:

there is a track record you need to ignore to be upset about this one example in this much detail.

It's a reversible argument: "there is a track record you need to know to be OK with this". You make it sound like ignoring is the hard part, but not everyone is married to a sticker company. For many people, buying a product will be the first and last time they hear about the brand that makes it. Being a world-renowned youtube prankster doesn't make it a good idea to walk into a police station shouting that you have a gun "because record"... The point is: individual actions still matter and can be judged on their own merit. Which you may still argue in this particular case is OK in itself, it's just a different type of argument.

On 5/10/2024 at 1:45 PM, manikyath said:

when the man's timelines are so "optimistic" in general that media covering space stuff just call it "elon time". 

Yes, he's also known for getting sued over his claims... 🤷‍♂️