Should I return my 4070 super?

3 minutes ago, Salted Spinach said:

Ok then...

Lets say Sapphire's cooler, board design and components are undisputedly better than the inno3d, but the AMD GPU in question has similar TDP to the R9 390X.

Would you still advocate a change of GPU on the merits of the cooler and board design?

Why do you keep bringing up the 390x like the TDP on that card was unreasonable? lol. But yah I would, personally I value longevity of my products and have seen enough dead trash nvidia cards.

38 minutes ago, Paul17 said:

"Slightly better encoder performance/quality?"

7000 series is "fine" from what I've seen. It's still a couple generations behind nvidia and quicksync, but it'd be fine for personal footage or streaming, especially if you can afford to bump up the bitrate a bit.

Just now, Brian McKee said:

Why do you keep bringing up the 390x like the TDP on that card was unreasonable? lol.

The point I am trying to make is that you made an apples to oranges comparison.

It is not right to suggest a change of GPU vendor (GPU, not AIB) solely on the merits of the cooler and board design, because this approach disregards the adequacy of the cooler and board design for the coupled GPU.

The board and cooler on the inno3d could be clearly inferior to that used by Sapphire. But it could be more than good enough for the 4070 Super. Meanwhile if you use the Sapphire board and cooler with a GPU that pulls well over 300W, all chances of silent operation might be out the window.

You dont get to mention the comparatively poor performance of the 390X because you have completely disregarded the performance difference between the 4070 Super and 7800XT in the first place

4 minutes ago, Salted Spinach said:

The point I am trying to make is that you made an apples to oranges comparison.

No, I made a quality comparison. Sapphire makes better products. They are both GPUs. The 7800xt and 4070 super for a lot of people are otherwise comparable products. I'm not continuing this asinine discussion, you're making a mountain of an ant hill. Just feel free to disagree with me.

26 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

Alright. I will agree with you on the quality comparison.

However I disagree that this should be the sole consideration to get the Sapphire 7800XT (or even the Asus model that the OP mentioned) over the inno3d 4070 Super.

The 7800XT has different power draw and thermal characteristics. There is no evidence presented to the OP that any of the 7800XT he is considering, will end up performing cooler or more silently than his initial purchase.

I am making this clear as I recognise the OP's particular concern of thermals and noise when they brought up the question comparing the inno3d and Windforce models of 4070 Super.

Sure, quality is something to take into consideration when picking a model. It was just not what the OP had asked about. Now I will take my leave and trade in my Tesla for a Lamborghini tractor. The radiator it has is something to behold. They are both wheeled vehicles after all.

Well. If you're a content creator and use adobe software or something like that i always prefer an nvidia GPU over a radeon card. If you're just want pure fps without dlss, rt or anything like that u can go with amd but if u already bought a 4070 super which is a great card I don't recommend replacing it. If u bought it u probably know what u gonna get right? But i say u can never go wrong with a 4070 super 

Over all it's your choice👍

17 hours ago, Paul17 said:

"Slightly better encoder performance/quality?"

Nvidia's encoders are a bit better. AMD's have gotten much better on the latest stuff, but still lag behind AFAIK. Not a massive margin, thus the word "slight".

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch