Piracy.

Recon-UK

You are one fucked up individual.

no the fact of the matter is a child is far to unprepared for the emotional effect of that then a grown adult 

no the fact of the matter is a child is far to unprepared for the emotional effect of that then a grown adult 

No, the correct answer is that both are equally as bad, but yet again your minds have social acceptance and moral issues.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

You are one fucked up individual.

No, you put the question to me, and I answered it, the hypothetical scenario was entirely your invention, judge yourself as you will.

A child is undeveloped, physically and mentally, even if the adult was of fragile mind they are still developed fully physically and thus more equipped to deal with rape, if we are really taking this subject there I won't shy away from the gritty details.

You have created a thread comparing paedophile rings to software pirates...

No, they are not the same, replicating softare is not the same as stealing a car which is a physical object, and I'd rather have my game pirated than my car stolen, or my child abused, in that order.

Well in a way it really is not different than if I made a song with my hypothetical band and I recorded an album to a CD (because those are totally used still :P). Then I started copying and selling them locally. Then some a-hole starts copying and handing them out like hot cakes. I would be pretty damn pissed either way if my work was stolen in that fashion. It is not the same analogy the OP used but it is a realistic situation that I imagine has probably happened before.

I personally am against pirating because I feel it really just harms people who don't deserve it. For instance lots of "pirates" use the argument that is is okay to pirate from hollywood because they suck. Yes Hollywood does in fact suck but there are honest people who work for hollywood that are negatively affected when the project they have been working on makes no money. Same goes with Microsoft, or Sony, or other software companies. Even though I dislike the companies I know that it is not fair to the people who work there to be punished for what the stupid crap people higher up do.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

No, you put the question to me, and I answered it, the hypothetical scenario was entirely your invention, judge yourself as you will.

A child is undeveloped, physically and mentally, even if the adult was of fragile mind they are still developed fully physically and thus more equipped to deal with rape, if we are really taking this subject there I won't shy away from the gritty details.

No, the correct answer is that both are equally as bad, but yet again your minds have social acceptance and moral issues.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

A lot of pirates pirate because they can. Because it's free.

Do you think that those types of people would pay for those things had piracy not been an option? Don't think I'm defending piracy, I just don't feel strongly about it either way. Sure I've done it, but I also buy the majority of my games.

Well in a way it really is not different than if I made a song with my hypothetical band and I recorded an album to a CD (because those are totally used still :P). Then I started copying and selling them locally. Then some a-hole starts copying and handing them out like hot cakes. I would be pretty damn pissed either way if my work was stolen in that fashion. It is not the same analogy the OP used but it is a realistic situation that I imagine has probably happened before.

I personally am against pirating because I feel it really just harms people who don't deserve it. For instance lots of "pirates" use the argument that is is okay to pirate from hollywood because they suck. Yes Hollywood does in fact suck but there are honest people who work for hollywood that are negatively affected when the project they have been working on makes no money. Same goes with Microsoft, or Sony, or other software companies. Even though I dislike the companies I know that it is not fair to the people who work there to be punished for what the stupid crap people higher up do.

I never once said piracy is not harmful, I have been arguing this whole time about OP's comparison of copyright theft to other crimes.

Do you think that those types of people would pay for those things had piracy not been an option? Don't think I'm defending piracy, I just don't feel strongly about it either way. Sure I've done it, but I also buy the majority of my games.

Without an option to pirate, your natural interest and curiosity would more than likely lead you to buying it, after all, you only visit a torrent site for stuff you are interested in when it suits you.

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

Why are they equally as bad?

True, but then you have the people that pirate that just can't pay for it

ACS Systems - Jason Neal

My "Danger Den" PC: i7-4960x @ 4.5Ghz, ASUS X79 Deluxe, 3x GTX Titan Black, 6x m4 512GB, 64GB Corsair DDR3-2400, Corsair AX1500i

Black Beauty Workstation/LAN PC: i5-4570 @ 3.79 GHz, ASRock Z87E-ITX, XFX Double D R9-280 (Non-X), GSkill 8GB DDR3-2400

A human is a human, you would never think twice about killing a baby ant from an adult ant now would you?

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

Projected loses based on a number of pirated copies does not equal out into actual loses. There is no way to accurately tell the effect of piracy on the market because a large number of the copied that are projected to have been pirated would have never been bought regardless.  

Another abstract and irrelevant example, this thread is going nowhere you can't handle the logic.

I typed a long as hell response to this a little bit ago but it never saved so screw that you get the condensed version.

Essentially my analogy I use is if I made a hypothetical band and made music, burned a bunch of CDs and sold them locally. Then some a-hole goes out and starts copying them and handing them out like hotcakes don't I have the right to be pissed off? And is that person doing something wrong or not? This is a fairly realistic scenario and I am fairly sure something like this has happened somewhere.

But analogies aside my personal reason I dislike piracy is that I feel it is unfair to some of the people who helped make it. For instance lots of "pirates" I know come up to me and say they pirate movies because hollywood sucks (which it indeed does). But that is unfair to the cameramen, editors, and extras who did absolutely nothing to deserve their paycheck cut because their movie never sold. Same goes with software devs, musicians, and so on.

EDIT - Okay what the hell LTT you post my original post while I am typing my thing. gg forum.

yes, we get both are bad, but to think that a 5th grader and a 35 year old woman would have similar post-rape experiences is completely irrational. Now, everyone's different, but 99% of the time, child rape will have worse effects on some as naive and innocent as a little kid than an adult who knows how dangerous the world can be

My girl friend was raped at the age of 14, she passed away last year, and she shared her pain with me, which i did all i can to support her mentally, i made her last years happy.

Would you like to explain how it mentally differs?

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

Money is still lost either way, which is why I don't understand why people keep saying devs don't lose money...they DO.

I do not dispute this I am just trying to point out that not every instance of piracy is taking money from someone. 

I never once said piracy is not harmful, I have been arguing this whole time about OP's comparison of copyright theft to other crimes.

Well in that case why are arguing an arbitrary point? The point of the thread is about piracy not the OP's poor analogy. I am not saying you are wrong but there is just no point in arguing something so unimportant.

A human is a human, you would never think twice about killing a baby ant from an adult ant now would you?

Why then at the Fukushima disaster, did the old men volunteer themselves to go into the irradiated areas and risk their lives in the stead of anyone younger.

Now consider why killing a child is perhaps logically worse than killing an adult.

Without an option to pirate, your natural interest and curiosity would more than likely lead you to buying it, after all, you only visit a torrent site for stuff you are interested in when it suits you.

Please stop saying "you". It makes you seem like you're talking directly about me. I don't even have a torrent client installed on my PC.

Interest will attract you to something, but these things still cost money to buy. It's not something most people have a real lot of. I may feel sorry for content creators about these matters if their shit wasn't sold for such a high price.

This one thread has made me lose track of what I was actually going to do tonight. Thanks guys 

ACS Systems - Jason Neal

My "Danger Den" PC: i7-4960x @ 4.5Ghz, ASUS X79 Deluxe, 3x GTX Titan Black, 6x m4 512GB, 64GB Corsair DDR3-2400, Corsair AX1500i

Black Beauty Workstation/LAN PC: i5-4570 @ 3.79 GHz, ASRock Z87E-ITX, XFX Double D R9-280 (Non-X), GSkill 8GB DDR3-2400

Sorry for your loss, but what exactly are you saying here? You made the point that rape mentally affects people, but nothing else..? What exactly are you comparing if you're comparing anything at all?

You were talking about mental effects at different ages, it really is no different, i have no real evidence to do with child rape crap, but from my own experience of knowing a woman that went through this, i cannot see where it is any different, just how theft is not different depending on how someones skewed vision of it seems.

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

Well in that case why are arguing an arbitrary point? The point of the thread is about piracy not the OP's poor analogy. I am not saying you are wrong but there is just no point in arguing something so unimportant.

I took the point of this thread to be a debate on the social acceptance of piracy when compared to other crimes, and OP's dissatisfaction with it's current social classification.

It then turned into me vs him arguing about everything from grand theft auto to the rape of my mother.

Why then at the Fukushima disaster, did the old men volunteer themselves to go into the irradiated areas and risk their lives in the stead of anyone younger.

Now consider why killing a child is perhaps logically worse than killing an adult.

It logically is not any more severe than an older person, it is a human distinction, hard wired, but hard wired is only taught, we learn from peers and surroundings, without experience, humans do not learn.

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

I took the point of this thread to be a debate on the social acceptance of piracy when compared to other crimes, and OP's dissatisfaction with it's current social classification.

It then turned into me vs him arguing about everything from grand theft auto to the rape of my mother.

The internet's a great place right? :D

ACS Systems - Jason Neal

The point is i am attacking your morals and social associations, it is working well so far.

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

The point is i am attacking your morals and social associations, it is working well so far.

Yes the debate is heated and good, no name calling and lock worthy flaming has occured, nor will it from me.