Feeling isolated from friends

akajase

Hey everyone,

I'm seeking some advice as I've been feeling quite disconnected from my friends lately. My passion for technology and gaming has been a significant part of my life, which I used to keep quiet, but have opened up about in the last year or so. Unfortunately, it's something my current friends don't share. In fact, some have started mocking me for it, which has started to affect my mental well-being as it was something I faced throughout my school years, almost like a trigger.

Having just become a new dad, my interests in tech have changed. I've started to enjoy researching on how to create a healthy tech and gaming environment for my family. Lately, I've been playing around with building HTPCs to move away from subscription services, exploring handheld gaming options, and learning how to create a safe environment for my children online and while gaming.

Now, I'm struggling with the feeling of not having like-minded friends or the sense of being unable to meet new people who share my interests. If anyone has been through a similar experience or has any coping strategies to share, I would greatly appreciate your insights.

P.S. I play Assetto Corsa, ACC, iRacing (when I have time to commit), American Truck Simulator, Battlebit, Farming Simulator 22, and Hell Let Loose. I'm also Australian... which can suck for timezones

if you got the free time then do what you want who cares what you do with it. with kids you have vary little.

my sister also hates games. and will try and make her kids not play it (good luck) but a little here and there i dont think is a problem. but its ok for her to read book. she just dose not under stand a game is a book just some one els idea instead of a book were you read it an emagen the world. both are free time and both can learn from it. but im not going to win...

its an escape from the real world problems some times is needed. not that you hate what you have now. its just free time thats it.

i like reading alot and typing alot even thow i have problems with em. i like to learn things

too and not just gaming like my sister thinks...🤷‍♂️

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

There's nothing wrong with making healthy tech for your family.

Heck I'm trying doing same for myself.

However don't misunderstand not everyone sees the way you do or i do or these forum peeps do.

I've have same issues with some people so I've changed to talk about something else that general people do talk about.

Unfortunately I'm even anxious around people with no tech knowledge.

They have so much apps on their phones and have so many spam in their mails etc etc.

And even have old aged router with crackable old 1/2 wpa protection I've told them to get new one, yet dismissed.

Ive tried to tell some people but they always dismissed me and say its fine then months later they got hacked.

So I've pretty much accepted it and cope in forums trying help people and make them little smarter possible.

OP, you're not alone 🐧

So welcome to the LTT forum.🎉

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

Understand that hobbies alone isn't enough for friends to stay truly friends. I've seen and experienced that people distance themselves or separate if hobby was only thing keeping them mingle. So disagreements of even about something about hobby which seems silly can separate people then. Let alone if it's something that usually you don't talk or one may not care, so it can feel odd or disconnected.

The mocking part was always funny to me in same way, because if I'd get mocked in some way like that, later one they'd ask me or need me about the very same thing they mocked. I'm just indifferent about it at this point, never was bothered that others may not share same interest. Cool if do, or I can interest them into something on simple level, but I don't push stuff on people. Basically I don't cope, but enjoy what I do and don't worry much about others involvement. So can't live your hobbies through others, can only be extra happy if someone has or gets interest if it matters a lot to you.

I also love tech and games, I like to know how stuff works etc., games be it sp or mp and learn it actually if mp not play like headless chicken constantly, mod games. Most of my friends know few online games mainly and play casually, don't try to learn more, or care much about trying different games or sp games. I've talked mentioned about it multiple times, rarely something sticks. 

But yeah, my hobbies are solo ones. They can be with others sure, but I can't depend on that. Or depending on others always for something, not good.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |