Just ordered parts list for i9-13900K air-cooled build - have I missed anything?

Hi everyone, last night I ordered this parts list and I wanted to know whether I have missed anything I will need or if I've made a big error in any of the parts compatibility.

My original budget was £1600 and in the end I decided to go over that and get the 13900K for future-proofing and because my wife was egging me on (this PC is basically a gift from her).

The main use of the PC would be:

• video editing with Davinci Resolve (this is why I didn't go with AMD because I have read several sources mentioning that AMD has issues with DR 18) - planning to get an Asus ProArt 32" 4K mini OLED IPS monitor for this
  • messing around with open-source AI models like Llama3 and StableDiffusion
  • video-gaming (4k monitor) - I'm not a serious gamer but I do have the new Tomb Raider games as well as Jedi Fallen Order

I'm just wondering whether my build is a good fit for my use case above. I'd rather not return anything now but this is my first time building my own PC. Thanks for any feedback!

NB: the original PSU I was going to order was the Gigabyte P750GM but it turned out to be out of stock, but the seller had the Gigabyte UD750GM on sale for the same price (£79.99) so I bought that instead and updated my parts list

My main question is - will I have any issues with air-cooling only? I would prefer not to have to bother with water-cooling and I remember Linus saying in a recent video that nowadays a good air-cooler will perform as well as an AIO, and I went with the Noctua NH-U12A so I hope this will work.

Another question I had is, since I want to keep the computer (relatively) quiet I bought 4-pin PWM fans which can be tuned - will that help me?

7 minutes ago, specsdude99 said:

My main question is - will I have any issues with air-cooling only? I would prefer not to have to bother with water-cooling and I remember Linus saying in a recent video that nowadays a good air-cooler will perform as well as an AIO, and I went with the Noctua NH-U12A so I hope this will work.

You should be fine, as long as you're not viciously overclocking the thing

7 minutes ago, specsdude99 said:

Another question I had is, since I want to keep the computer (relatively) quiet I bought 4-pin PWM fans which can be tuned - will that help me?

Yes, you can find your sweet spot between noise and thermals

A nhd15 isnt gonna cool a stock 13900k. You'll have to undervolt and tweak it as these are incredibly inneficient.

A u12a stands NO CHANCE. Can't even cool a 13700k let alone the furnace of a 13900k.

I recommend you seriously revise the cooler.

Also 100pounds for a u12? Geez overpriced much. You got ripped off.

Otherwise all is fine but that cooler stands no chance.

32 minutes ago, specsdude99 said:

According to Noctua themselves you should be fine with that cooler, even with some OC. I dont necessary trust them as even a 360 AIO's struggle with the 13900K

https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/INTEL-Core-i9-13900K-1642

image.png.3f9ab5cfb8b191aa297b2ee9edd120fc.png

I would also recommend disabling "ASUS Multicore Enhancement" as it runs the CPU way out of spec as default, and has been causing a lot of issues. JayzTwoCents had a video about it recently explaining the issue.

This will also help with temperature issues.

Gigabyte has had some really bad(read: exploding) PSU's previously, so personally I dont really trust them with a part that important. Its also not a part you should save money on. I dont know anything about the unit you picked though. It's probably fine.

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

27 minutes ago, jaslion said:

A u12a stands NO CHANCE.

27 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Also 100pounds for a u12?

Just to clarify, this is a U12A not a U12S hence the price difference. It has additional heat pipes compared to the U12S

I chose the U12A because I was worried about RAM clearance with the D15 😕  but maybe I will take another look at coolers

10 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

Gigabyte has had some really bad(read: exploding) PSU's previously, so personally I dont really trust them with a part that important.

I had the same thoughts although like I mentioned, this particular part seems to be a revised/upgraded version of the P750GM which has the bad rep. Maybe I will just switch it out for something like a Corsair RM750

53 minutes ago, specsdude99 said:

Just to clarify, this is a U12A not a U12S hence the price difference. It has additional heat pipes compared to the U12S

I chose the U12A because I was worried about RAM clearance with the D15 😕  but maybe I will take another look at coolers

Honestly, still, its a relatively small cooler (not to mention the price) compared to some of the other coolers that still struggle, hard, to tame a stock 13900K

This cooler is less than 2/5 the price and demolishes a NH-D15

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/BRMMnQ/thermalright-phantom-spirit-evo-69-cfm-cpu-cooler-phantom-spirit-120-evo

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-13900K 3 GHz 24-Core Processor  (£483.00 @ Amazon UK) 
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit EVO 69 CFM CPU Cooler  (£42.00 @ Computer Orbit) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z790M-PLUS D4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (£199.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  (£125.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Patriot P300 512 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (£34.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£48.98 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card  (£595.97 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Deepcool MATREXX 40 3FS MicroATX Mini Tower Case  (£39.98 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Power Supply: Gigabyte UD750GM 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (£105.57 @ Amazon UK) 
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fans 5-Pack  (£27.39 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £1703.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-25 12:45 BST+0100

Much better cooler, and got rid of the NV2 which is a touchy drive, 12GB extra with next to no speed lost, more stable and cheaper Patriot P300

Part upgrade and over 70 quid saved

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

1 hour ago, specsdude99 said:

Hi everyone, last night I ordered this parts list and I wanted to know whether I have missed anything I will need or if I've made a big error in any of the parts compatibility.

My original budget was £1600 and in the end I decided to go over that and get the 13900K for future-proofing and because my wife was egging me on (this PC is basically a gift from her).

The main use of the PC would be:

• video editing with Davinci Resolve (this is why I didn't go with AMD because I have read several sources mentioning that AMD has issues with DR 18) - planning to get an Asus ProArt 32" 4K mini OLED IPS monitor for this
  • messing around with open-source AI models like Llama3 and StableDiffusion
  • video-gaming (4k monitor) - I'm not a serious gamer but I do have the new Tomb Raider games as well as Jedi Fallen Order

I'm just wondering whether my build is a good fit for my use case above. I'd rather not return anything now but this is my first time building my own PC. Thanks for any feedback!

NB: the original PSU I was going to order was the Gigabyte P750GM but it turned out to be out of stock, but the seller had the Gigabyte UD750GM on sale for the same price (£79.99) so I bought that instead and updated my parts list

AFAIK AMD is not good with adobe but ok with DR, which is a single theread load mostly

Found Puget benchmark with 7950X, it's better than 13900K (https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/amd-ryzen-9-7900x3d-and-7950x3d-content-creation-review/)

With a 7950X your aircooler will be just fine and your electricity bill will look nicer too 😛 

image.png.5b69b9c8f08a3097290434c4d0a1ab0e.png

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 hour ago, specsdude99 said:

Is there a difference? yes but for a 13900k these coolers are both not sufficient at all. The nhd15 can easily fit over most ram all you need to do is move the fan up a smidge. Still for a 13900k there is basically no air cooler that will do part form the icegiant.

1 hour ago, Tegneren said:

According to Noctua themselves you should be fine with that cooler, even with some OC. I dont necessary trust them as even a 360 AIO's struggle with the 13900K

Been reviewed and well it doesn't do the job when you run it at the intended 253w not even full throttle load.

As mentioned too a 7950x would actually be an excellent cpu for you as it consumes half the power of a 13900k and runs way less hot whilst being more performant in davinci.

If still possible I would switch around. The u12a can cool a 7950x but there are far better air coolers for a fraction of the cost.

<-- Currently running a 13900k and a NH-D15 with almost that same exact RAM (just a faster speed). 

That's low profile RAM, why was RAM clearance an issue?

35 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Is there a difference? yes but for a 13900k these coolers are both not sufficient at all

Thanks I looked at a few more performance tests and I think I agree with you, it seems like everyone using an air cooler is limiting the wattage using Intel XTU

56 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

more stable and cheaper Patriot P300

Thanks for this recommendation, I didn't know Patriot was considered more reliable.

6 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

<-- Currently running a 13900k and a NH-D15 with almost that same exact RAM (just a faster speed). 

That's low profile RAM, why was RAM clearance an issue?

I'm confused, I don't know where you saw that? Are you saying that the RAM in my parts list is low profile?

I think what I will do is stick with the 13900 and just get an AIO 360 or 420 mm. If anyone has recommendations then feel free to let me know!

2 minutes ago, specsdude99 said:

Thanks for this recommendation, I didn't know Patriot was considered more reliable.

I think what I will do is stick with the 13900 and just get an AIO 360 or 420 mm. If anyone has recommendations then feel free to let me know!

Less so that the patriots are super reliable, just that the NV2 is...less so, I'll say

Arctic freezer 3, best in class and a great price to boot and includes active VRM cooling

System specs:

19 minutes ago, specsdude99 said:

Thanks I looked at a few more performance tests and I think I agree with you, it seems like everyone using an air cooler is limiting the wattage using Intel XTU

I see its already been recommended but liquid freezer II or III would be the way to go.

Also get a contact frame makes a hude difference for temps too as the lga1700 socket is prone to bending which causes bad contact with a cooler and thus bad temps

17 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Arctic freezer 3, best in class and a great price to boot

thank you! The Liquid Freezer III 360mm looks perfect 🤩 

Just now, jaslion said:

Also get a contact frame

Do you mean on the underneath of the mobo?

Just now, specsdude99 said:

Do you mean on the underneath of the mobo?

It's meant to replace the cpu retention mechanism

12 minutes ago, specsdude99 said:

Yes, it does, the AF3's mounting mechanism also doubles as a contact frame, tis real handy

System specs:

3 hours ago, specsdude99 said:

I'm confused, I don't know where you saw that? Are you saying that the RAM in my parts list is low profile?

Yes. You should find that it's height is below what Noctua recommends for the NH-D15 anyways.