Fan Config Suggestions For Corsair 4000D

Upgrading my son to the 4000D RGB Airflow.  It comes with the 3-120mm fans shown here (AF120 RGB Elite I believe).  I feel like we need to add at least 1-2 more as 2 intake and 1 exhaust doesn’t seem like enough.  My thought was the 3 intake where they are here then 1-2 for exhaust. Either both at the top or 1 on top and 1 at rear.  Fans are $25/ea.  

He’s running a Ryzen 5 5600X with a 6700XT with a MSI Gaming Plus Max B550 motherboard.  Adding an M.2 with his existing SSD and HDD (HDD which will be in the basement with the PSU hence why I like the idea of that bottom fan at the front since it mainly points into the basement.

Thoughts on number of fans or any push/pull config setups for those using this case?

IMG_8557.jpeg

2 minutes ago, WarmEngine said:

Upgrading my son’s PC to the 4000D RGB Airflow.  It comes with the 3 120mm fans shown here (AF120 RGB Elite I believe).  I feel like I need to add at least 1-2 more fans (the 3 intake where they then 1-2 exhaust. Either both at the top or 1 on top and 1 at rear.  Fans are $25/ea

He’s running a Ryzen 5 5600X with a 6700XT with a MSI Gaming Plus Max B550 motherboard.  Adding an M.2 with his existing SSD and HDD (HDD which will be in the basement with the PSU hence why I like the idea of that bottom fan at the front since it mainly points into the basement.

Thoughts on number of fans or any push/pull config setups for those using this case?

IMG_8557.jpeg

Best would be rear exhaust first and foremost, then if he wants to add a top exhaust he can too

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

4 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Best would be rear exhaust first and foremost, then if he wants to add a top exhaust he can too

Is 3 intake and 1 exhaust enough exhaust or is there too much intake vs exhaust?  That’s why I was thinking 2 might be needed but I’m not well versed on the subject.

10 minutes ago, WarmEngine said:

Upgrading my son to the 4000D RGB Airflow.  It comes with the 3-120mm fans shown here (AF120 RGB Elite I believe).  I feel like we need to add at least 1-2 more as 2 intake and 1 exhaust doesn’t seem like enough.  My thought was the 3 intake where they are here then 1-2 for exhaust. Either both at the top or 1 on top and 1 at rear.  Fans are $25/ea.  

If using a CPU air cooler, then just take the lowest front fan and place in the back. Remember more fans = more noise. Also more exhaust than intake = more dust.

image.png.cf885d897b3b23575722b8e70344d204.png

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

18 minutes ago, WarmEngine said:

Is 3 intake and 1 exhaust enough exhaust or is there too much intake vs exhaust?  That’s why I was thinking 2 might be needed but I’m not well versed on the subject.

Nah its fine, i have 7 intake and 2 exhaust, and thats a bit (read; WAY) too much but its still fine, it just means i have really strong positive pressure, so air flies out wherever it can find and i can run my front fans much slower, so lower noise

System specs:

14 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

If using a CPU air cooler, then just take the lowest front fan and place in the back. Remember more fans = more noise. Also more exhaust than intake = more dust.

image.png.cf885d897b3b23575722b8e70344d204.png

Id argue that one feeds a decent bit of air to the GPU and so would be beneficial to keep there

System specs:

One on the back, one on the back of the top. Or just experiment. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

I’ve experimented with the Airflow version of this case (same mesh front as yours, just without the Corsair RGB fans) & 5600X/6700XT combo & found 3 intake & 2 exhausts work best in terms of temps (across the whole motherboard) & noise.

Less fans doesn’t necessarily mean less noise, as they may be forced to spin at higher revs to maintain the same temps, so you need to find that balance of fan noise, fan quantity & fan curve.

This is the best config I came up with after some testing…

You can ignore the top-front intake fan as it’s only there for the extreme warmer times of the year & only turns on when temps get very high, but it’s not needed for most setups.

If you have matched, dual CPU fans, then it should be a little better than my single CPU fan setup, but 3 intake in the front, with 2 exhaust on the rear & top-rear should be enough…

image.thumb.jpeg.5810232fef0748eb8ea137b4343f41c7.jpeg

5 hours ago, Ralfi said:

I’ve experimented with the Airflow version of this case (same mesh front as yours, just without the Corsair RGB fans) & 5600X/6700XT combo & found 3 intake & 2 exhausts work best in terms of temps (across the whole motherboard) & noise.

Less fans doesn’t necessarily mean less noise, as they may be forced to spin at higher revs to maintain the same temps, so you need to find that balance of fan noise, fan quantity & fan curve.

This is the best config I came up with after some testing…

You can ignore the top-front intake fan as it’s only there for the extreme warmer times of the year & only turns on when temps get very high, but it’s not needed for most setups.

If you have matched, dual CPU fans, then it should be a little better than my single CPU fan setup, but 3 intake in the front, with 2 exhaust on the rear & top-rear should be enough…

image.thumb.jpeg.5810232fef0748eb8ea137b4343f41c7.jpeg

Looks reasonable, and I think TeraSeraph proved a similar design last year. However, I think she did back to front flow.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂