Why Do They Do This With Phone Cameras??

Go to solution Solved by gt710,

here is a video i made for you on how to record higher rez videos without needing to root your phone

when i got a new phone in 2021 wanted something cheap but mid range

i looked up a lot of phones and they all had 1080p main camera looking up camera sensor specs in these phones a lot of them could support filming in 4k some could film 1080p 60fps

yet all these phone could only record at 1080p 30fps max 

and its not because of the cpu or gpu where to slow they could support 4k recording and 1080p 60fps

is there anyway to force these phone to record higher or even get 60fps 1080p ???

do they do this to make people buy more expensive phones? why would they limit the camera?

Got any example models you can show?

I wouldn't be surprised if readout speed is the issue. Lots of sensors are high res, but can't read the full res of the sensor ~30 times a second needed for 4k video. So they switch to a lower res mode that can do ~30fps readout, but at a lower resolution.

Could easily be an artificial limit too.

Also arguably 4k doesn't matter for these low end sensors and phones if the lens and sensor isn't good enough to really have a significant difference, why make the bigger files.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Got any example models you can show?

I wouldn't be surprised if readout speed is the issue. Lots of sensors are high res, but can't read the full res of the sensor ~30 times a second needed for 4k video. So they switch to a lower res mode that can do ~30fps readout, but at a lower resolution.

Could easily be an artificial limit too.

Also arguably 4k doesn't matter for these low end sensors and phones if the lens and sensor isn't good enough to really have a significant difference, why make the bigger files.

off the top of my head because this was back in 2021 i only remember this phone

my phone i have now uses ISOCELL GM2  and googling it it says it can record at 4k 60fps
and compering my phone to another phone that uses the same sensor that has a weaker gpu and cpu can record 4k 30fps and 1080p 60fps

my phone has way better specs then my friends old HTC One M9 and even that can film 4k

i wonder if there is a way to hack my phone i don't need 4k but 1080p 60fps would be nice

here is a video i made for you on how to record higher rez videos without needing to root your phone

On 4/24/2024 at 2:19 PM, gt710 said:

Thanks