Is The Intel Xeon E3-1270 compatible with Intel Q65 chipset

I want to upgrade from 2C4T to 4C8T, however with the mother board I have, I can either go with i7 2600 or i7 2600k or xeon E3 1270 (Socket: LGA 1155). I am gravitating towards the xeon cuz it's tdp is 80W whereas other have a 95W tdp I have an Dell optiplex 790 which comes with a 250W PSU so yeah. I have liked on the internet but in some places it says it is compatible and in other it does not. HELP!!!

It would matter whether or not Dell ever gave the board a BIOS that supports the Xeons. That seems highly unlikely. I can't find any examples online of a compatibility list for that particular Optiplex that includes Xeons. In fact, it appears that it's actually a question as to whether or not 3000 series Intel chips are supported - I'm finding conflicting data on that.

All that to say, I have serious doubts about if that Xeon could work on that board. I think you'll have to go with the 2nd gen i7.

Also, don't pay any extra for the K model - it's totally pointless if you don't have a motherboard that supports overclocking.

it's a $20 cpu, I'd just buy one and try it.

It’s a maybe, there’s no guarantee here. Plenty of people have shown the optiplex 790 supports some it’s Xeon equivalents, but only on some bios versions, and not the entire range of lga 1155 Xeons.

However the definite one is no ivy bridge Xeons, those seem way less likely to work. No v2’s

On 4/23/2024 at 8:42 PM, YoungBlade said:

It would matter whether or not Dell ever gave the board a BIOS that supports the Xeons. That seems highly unlikely. I can't find any examples online of a compatibility list for that particular Optiplex that includes Xeons. In fact, it appears that it's actually a question as to whether or not 3000 series Intel chips are supported - I'm finding conflicting data on that.

All that to say, I have serious doubts about if that Xeon could work on that board. I think you'll have to go with the 2nd gen i7.

Also, don't pay any extra for the K model - it's totally pointless if you don't have a motherboard that supports overclocking.

I just want my valorant to stop stuttering, I have an i3 2120 2c4t and a gt 730 the Fermi version and the 1% lows are bad like 15 fps so I thought since fps games are more CPU based so, upgrading to 4c8t might work.

Just now, Bigchungusbutbigger said:

I just want my valorant to stop stuttering, I have an i3 2120 2c4t and a gt 730 the Fermi version and the 1% lows are bad like 15 fps so I thought since fps games are more CPU based so, upgrading to 4c8t might work.

I would just get an i5 2400 for the extra 2 cores, trying to max out sandy bridge is a fruitless effort, and you’d be better off buying a whole new platform in the long term, or at the very least a newer optiplex.

sff or tower?

if sff resell and buy a used 2011(-3) workstation like the hp z420 as those are much more upgradable with much better cpus and you should be able to overclock e5 1650 and up xeons with throttlestop as those have unlocked multi

if tower buy a cheap 2600 or even a 2500 and be done with it

On 4/23/2024 at 8:45 PM, OhYou_ said:

it's a $20 cpu, I'd just buy one and try it.

I got a visa gift card that got like 4 freedom bucks in it, if we can something with that then cool.

On 4/23/2024 at 9:07 PM, 8tg said:

I would just get an i5 2400 for the extra 2 cores, trying to max out sandy bridge is a fruitless effort, and you’d be better off buying a whole new platform in the long term, or at the very least a newer optiplex.

Would that really work for the val problem, I mean?

On 4/23/2024 at 9:08 PM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

sff or tower?

if sff resell and buy a used 2011(-3) workstation like the hp z420 as those are much more upgradable with much better cpus and you should be able to overclock e5 1650 and up xeons with throttlestop as those have unlocked multi

if tower buy a cheap 2600 or even a 2500 and be done with it

Got a tower.

On 4/23/2024 at 8:42 PM, YoungBlade said:

It's a LGA 1155 socket and a Q65 chipset third gen is a no go

20 minutes ago, Bigchungusbutbigger said:

games being cpu based is a meme people say when they already have a decent gpu, you have a 15 year old gpu.
it's 100% the fault of the gpu making the game run poorly.

On 4/23/2024 at 9:27 PM, OhYou_ said:

games being cpu based is a meme people say when they already have a decent gpu, you have a 15 year old gpu.

I mean 2c 3.3ghz is still pretty bad though no, I mean I usually get like 60-80 but sometimes they drop to 15 fps especially when taking a fight

You're in a rough spot. Both of your core components are woefully underpowered. I can see why you're aiming for the CPU first, as it seems more likely to help.

What is your budget like?

48 minutes ago, Bigchungusbutbigger said:

Got a tower.

atleast youve got that but even then still kinda not worth it aside from just buying an i5/i7 and putting a better gpu

psu upgrade if you need it for a better gpu is fine since those can be carried forward as long as you arent an idiot and buy a new <750w trash unit (~50$) instead of a used 750/850w rm(x) or equivalent around the 50$ mark thatll handle new 80 and probably 90 class cards with ease (ex 3080)

budget?

country?

you can usually get an old polaris 70 or 80 card at ~30-40$ for a 4gb variant and ~50$ for an 8gb variant and these cards have similar performance to a gtx 1060 which will be alot better than a gt730 though that thing might still fetch 10$ if someones looking for a cheap display adapter, power draw can be reduced to ~100w with an undervolt to .86v core clock ~1100 atleast thats what i saw with an rx 580 2048sp 8gb (basically an rx 570)

Welcome to the forums!

Looks like some people have done it successfully
https://www.dell.com/community/en/conversations/optiplex-desktops/dell-optiplex-790-xeon-support/647f8b8df4ccf8a8deba67d7

Whether that's worth it is another matter entirely. The answer is likely no. Nothing remotely modern will run at all well. Even just web browsing may be annoyingly slow

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

On 4/23/2024 at 9:46 PM, YoungBlade said:

You're in a rough spot. Both of your core components are woefully underpowered. I can see why you're aiming for the CPU first, as it seems more likely to help.

What is your budget like?

I am from Pakistan and the currency is really week I don't necessarily have expectations to run AAA games just want valorant to run at around 80+ fps and not stutter when I try to take a fight like, not drop to 15 fps.