More expensive b650 or cheaper x670/x670e?

Looking for a motherboard to pair with a 7800X3D.

the case I’m looking at is the montech king 95 if that affects any recommendations. With a budget of around ~£250 with a bit of wiggle room if needed

5 minutes ago, Switcheroo25 said:

the case I’m looking at is the montech king 95 if that affects any recommendations. With a budget of around ~£250 with a bit of wiggle room if needed

Just get a b650 gaming plus wifi for £150 and it'll give you everything you need. If you need pcie 5 then get a x670e such as this one MSI X670E GAMING PLUS WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard (X670E GAMING PLUS WIFI) - PCPartPicker

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

3 minutes ago, Switcheroo25 said:

I don't see a reason to not go with X670e if you're considering more expensive boards. Its more likely to have drop in support with future CPUs than B650 which doesn't support PCIe 5.0 16x. Something that might matter if we see more 4x and 8x cards in the next couple generations.

'Budget' X670e boards are already above a certain quality/feature standard. I'd generally stay away from any X670 boards unless its got a specific feature you want/need. B650 is obviously for value, B650e being a weird middle ground between the two that has some decent options and PCIe 5.0 16x support.

I personally buy motherboards based on the features and layout. Generally, that pushes me towards the higher end. If you're willing to spend X more for Y feature(s), then I don't see why not.

There's a stronger argument right now for getting a higher end board on AM5 than LGA 1700. Intel's next generation might get the same treatment since Intel seems willing to have multigenerational socket/chipset support than ever. LGA 1700 being a really solid platform overall in hindsight. 

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Ignore the chipset, look at the feature set. The higher end chipsets are there to offer more IO to the rest of the board, though it's up to the board vendor to design a board that actually offers all of those extra features. Because of that, there are B650 boards that have more features than X670 boards, and if you were just looking at the chipset, you would ignore those much better board offerings. What features do you need? 

33 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Ignore the chipset, look at the feature set. The higher end chipsets are there to offer more IO to the rest of the board, though it's up to the board vendor to design a board that actually offers all of those extra features. Because of that, there are B650 boards that have more features than X670 boards, and if you were just looking at the chipset, you would ignore those much better board offerings. What features do you need? 

Only real definite are two usb 3.2 gen 1 connectors and solid WiFi as I have no real way of getting Ethernet up to where the computer would be. Obviously quality to last a good amount of time and possible cpu upgrades in the future would be nice.

55 minutes ago, Switcheroo25 said:

Only real definite are two usb 3.2 gen 1 connectors and solid WiFi as I have no real way of getting Ethernet up to where the computer would be. Obviously quality to last a good amount of time and possible cpu upgrades in the future would be nice.

Even a B650M-HDV/M.2 (one of the cheapest B650 boards) would satisfy those requirements. It's got a good enough VRM to power a 7950X, it has two USB 3 front panel connectors, and while it doesn't have built in WiFi, adding a WiFi card to it is ~$20-25 for an Intel AX210, a very solid WiFi adapter.