How would I combine two SSD's to increase the volume of my E: drive

Go to solution Solved by da na,

In Disk Management, you can create a dynamic volume combining two drives - OR, you can mount one in the NTFS volume of the other.

image.png.595faeb1357148041d5146f96a79bffd.png

I know there is a way to add more storage and make is so that my E: volume would say 4TB but how would I go about doing that? I want to buy another 2TB SSD and combine them so that My Main volume has more storage.

So it this a single 4TB drive? If so, then using some partitioning software would do the trick, something like MiniTool Partition Wizard, would be good to know before though how to use it... some googling or YT video should explain.

If you want to keep the files from all the partitions then you'd need to manually copy them though. And making a backup copy of the drive would be a good first step.

I edit my posts more often than not

1 minute ago, Tan3l6 said:

So it this a single 4TB drive? If so, then using some partitioning software would do the trick, something like MiniTool Partition Wizard, would be good to know before though how to use it... some googling or YT video should explain.

Not exactly, What I have currently is a 2TB drive. I want to buy another 2 TB drive and install it but instead of it having its own volume I want to combine it under the E: Volume, in essence increasing the storage.

1 minute ago, Endless_Anarchy said:

Not exactly, What I have currently is a 2TB drive. I want to buy another 2 TB drive and install it but instead of it having its own volume I want to combine it under the E: Volume, in essence increasing the storage.

JBOD or RAID0? Then I'm out of suggestions, just have not used either.

I edit my posts more often than not

1 minute ago, da na said:

In Disk Management, you can create a dynamic volume combining two drives - OR, you can mount one in the NTFS volume of the other.

Thank you, I'm pretty sure that's what I was looking for

Just now, Endless_Anarchy said:

Thank you, I'm pretty sure that's what I was looking for

You'd need to allocate both disks as Dynamic, then create a Spanned volume between the two. Pretty simple, just add both drives to the dynamic pool.

12 minutes ago, da na said:

You'd need to allocate both disks as Dynamic, then create a Spanned volume between the two. Pretty simple, just add both drives to the dynamic pool.

does it dynamically fill them equally up so that one doesn't fill up more?

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

Please note that if you do this, there is a risk that if one druve fails you will lose all or most data stored on BOTH drives.

In other words, you're basically doubling the risk of losing data as well as doubling the data you lose.

Even though drive failures are fairly rare it's something worth keeping in mind.