Japan Watchdog Says Google Hurt Local Rival’s Ability to Compete

Summary

Google has been pressed to reform search ad practices, this is over an ad agreement with Yahoo Japan, 

Quotes

Japan's antitrust watchdog said Monday it has asked Google LLC to voluntarily reform its business practices after finding that it imposed unfair restrictions in its search advertising agreement with Yahoo Japan.

The Japan Fair Trade Commission concluded that the practices by the U.S. search giant compromised the fairness of the digital advertising market. It is the first administrative step taken by Japanese authorities against Google.

From 2015 to 2022, Alphabet blocked Yahoo Japan from accessing technology needed to receive targeted ad revenue from searches on mobile devices, Japan’s Fair Trade Commission said. Alphabet changed its conduct as soon as the watchdog flagged the practice and has promised to give Yahoo Japan access to keyword-tied targeted ad tech, the FTC said Monday

My thoughts

this will hurt Google as a whole but with its EU investigations google is going through a lot right now

Sources

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/japan-watchdog-says-google-hurt-local-rival-s-ability-to-compete-1.2062006

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2024/04/d3d14010cda2-urgent-japans-antitrust-watchdog-presses-google-over-search-ad-practices.html#google_vignette

Edited by PastaPain
summery makes no snese

@PastaPain, as your other Tech News topics, this also lacks the content required to comply with Tech News guidelines. Please fix the thread and it can be moved back to Tech News.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv