Help picking internet service

DARBADARBZ

I moved into an apartment where "No personal routers are allowed." I think this is dumb and also the internet in unsecured and very slow. What service could I use that is wireless and won't need a cable or fiber hookup? Starlink needs an expensive antenna, and plus I couldn't mount that anywhere. I was hoping Verizon Fios used 5g signal but is looks like that's a cable/fiber hookup too.

Can you get a ISP to run service to the apartment just for you?

I have bypassed this before with a wired personall network, and a single device pulling off the wifi or wired and doing nat to look like one device.

Verizon, Tmobile and likely others have a 5g wireless ISP service, but this is very location specific, and often needs the mm wave 5g to work well.

You can look into a wireless service from the major ass hol... I mean cell phone carriers. The plans used to be a lot cheaper, but now they want around $50 a month it seems. They basically sell or give you a 5g antenna to place near a window, and it has a power port and ethernet port to connect to a device or network.

I believe the T mobile one also comes with a built in router that you cannot fully disable, but you can hid the SSID.

The benefit of this is that you can fully bypass your apartment's network and requirements, and you do not have to use coax or phone to receive a separate internet signal. Of course, it's only amazing if you have decent 5g coverage at your place.

5 hours ago, DARBADARBZ said:

I moved into an apartment where "No personal routers are allowed." I think this is dumb and also the internet in unsecured and very slow.

What do they provide? Wireless? Ethernet?

What are you calling slow? Wireless? Ethernet?

7 hours ago, DARBADARBZ said:

I moved into an apartment where "No personal routers are allowed." I think this is dumb and also the internet in unsecured and very slow. What service could I use that is wireless and won't need a cable or fiber hookup? Starlink needs an expensive antenna, and plus I couldn't mount that anywhere. I was hoping Verizon Fios used 5g signal but is looks like that's a cable/fiber hookup too.

Verizon and T Mobile both offer 4/5G Home internet. T Mobile however just put in a 1.2 TB soft cap, you get throttled if you go over. You will need to check with each carrier on if they offer these services in your area. Speeds and reliability will vary.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 4/21/2024 at 5:07 AM, Falcon1986 said:

What do they provide? Wireless? Ethernet?

What are you calling slow? Wireless? Ethernet?

wireless. and 5-15Mbps down

On 4/21/2024 at 6:18 AM, Donut417 said:

Verizon and T Mobile both offer 4/5G Home internet. T Mobile however just put in a 1.2 TB soft cap, you get throttled if you go over. You will need to check with each carrier on if they offer these services in your area. Speeds and reliability will vary.

I think I'll go with verizon, anything I need to know?

1 minute ago, DARBADARBZ said:

I think I'll go with verizon, anything I need to know?

It’s cellular internet. So there are limitations and it’s much easier for the service to be congested. Speed will vary. Latency/Ping will be higher. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.