pushing a locked i5 4590 to its limits

currently got a 4590 @3.884ghz all core and cache (105 bclk) and ram at 2100mhz. If i set bclk to like 106, i cant even boot into to bios. Ive tried setting ram speed much lower than 2100 mhz (with 106 bclk), tried raising system agent and io voltages. Should i raise pch voltage too? what should I do to get 106 bclk stable? also cooling aint a problem for the cpu, an intel stock cooler handles 3.9ghz all core, and i have a 280mm aio lying around which i used on my 4790k before

1 hour ago, aren332 said:

currently got a 4590 @3.884ghz all core and cache (105 bclk) and ram at 2100mhz. If i set bclk to like 106, i cant even boot into to bios. Ive tried setting ram speed much lower than 2100 mhz (with 106 bclk), tried raising system agent and io voltages. Should i raise pch voltage too? what should I do to get 106 bclk stable? also cooling aint a problem for the cpu, an intel stock cooler handles 3.9ghz all core, and i have a 280mm aio lying around which i used on my 4790k before

probably just binning being your issue and seems like you got an average sample, nothing you can do here aside from running the thing subzero and even then you arent looking at much of an improvement

best you can do is turbo unlock the cpu which should be doable on all haswell with an older microcode but im not sure of the process for desktop haswell

1 hour ago, aren332 said:

Have you considered your at the limit of the board...  I managed 106.95 BCLK on the z97-K from Asus,...a 4690 nonK but within 6 months the USB ports went to pot and stopped working. While overall stability on the CPU side didn't get worse, even still, there IS A LIMIT to what you can achieve.

I doubt you wanna buy a new board just to get 106/107, it's pretty cool where you are and that you got where you did.

I should have backed off to 106.something....possibly even 105... 106.95 was my limit, 106.95+ wouldn't boot without errors.

You could just buy a couple extras off ebay or whatever and bin them yourself, as opposed to dealing with your 4590 you have now.

If you don't want to buy anything, I'd now work on squeezing RAM OC/Timings down if you can't get more speed/bandwidth out of it.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz