Enhance a ssd's span

pchelp
21 hours ago, podkall said:

those are options to put PC to sleep, especially the first one, see how both are 30 minutes

u gotta quote by selecting the members after you're typing behind the @, @podkall @Godlygamer23 if it's orange, it's mentioning

honestly I think you're overcomplicating it,

even if your SSD starts to lose it's health to dangerous levels, you can simply buy a new one and put your files there, or install windows on the new drive,

as far as indexer goes, mine doesn't work properly on my non-OS drive, but you might find it in Control Panel, simply search search or index and the keyword should show you some settings

Thanks for replying. Sorry for wronly tagging you and other members.

About options to put pc to sleep screenshot, my question was time to put ssd to sleep is on the left side, should we select it to never? Even though the pc goes to sleep after 30 minutes?

I built the search index again yesterday and included C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs in it, it is now searching for things like paint, calculator etc. but not searching for wifi, settings, control panel, update etc. which folder/location to include in the search index for these things?

16 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I would agree that you're overthinking all of this. The MX500 with a capacity of 500GB can be written to about 360 times(180TB total) using official drive ratings for that capacity. Using the CrystalDiskInfo screenshot as a reference, based on the percentage drop versus the data written to the flash memory, you have 210.5TB of writes, which approximately lines up with the official endurance rating.

Using my own Intel SSD as an example, I've had this drive for about 10 years - the drive has a total uptime of 9.67 years, and I've managed to write 109TB to the actual NAND according to CrystalDiskInfo.

Reveal hidden contents

Capture3.PNG.59639a865dd6a307246f098c335b647a.PNG

Your own screenshot shows an approximate time of 15.5 years before reaching the end of the drive's life based on current conditions.

Thanks for replying. Actually the last 2 questions that I asked in the previous post had nothing to do with this. As guided by you and @podkall I am not thinking about the endurance but just wanted to confirm about the sleep setting and the search indexer thing. Can you please guide about it?

Also I built the search index again yesterday and included C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs in it, it is now searching for things like paint, calculator etc. but not searching for wifi, settings, control panel, update etc. which folder/location to include in the search index for these things?

2 minutes ago, pchelp said:

About options to put pc to sleep screenshot, my question was time to put ssd to sleep is on the left side, should we select it to never? Even though the pc goes to sleep after 30 minutes?

do you want your PC to go to sleep after 30 minutes?

4 minutes ago, pchelp said:

Also I built the search index again yesterday and included C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs in it, it is now searching for things like paint, calculator etc. but not searching for wifi, settings, control panel, update etc. which folder/location to include in the search index for these things??

try including the whole C: drive, it does take time to build the indexer

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

1 minute ago, podkall said:

do you want your PC to go to sleep after 30 minutes?

try including the whole C: drive, it does take time to build the indexer

Thanks for replying. Like I mentioned earlier sometimes I have to leave the pc so I just turn off the monitor and sometimes I come back within 10 mins whereas sometimes it takes 1-2 hours. I have no idea what should be the ideal settings. I read on google that ssds should never be set to sleep so I asked here, but should pcs be set to sleep? I don't know. I am a noob, please guide me what settings should I select there and I will do it.

I have tried the whole c drive like more than 20 times but nothing worked. This link https://www.askvg.com/fix-we-are-getting-search-ready-problem-in-windows-10/  said to select few folders. I did it, and selected this C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and users and windows folder, and now paint, calculator, defrag, disk management are showing fine in the search results. But when I type in windows update, wifi etc. nothing shows up. Please help me one last time with this.

5 minutes ago, pchelp said:

Thanks for replying. Like I mentioned earlier sometimes I have to leave the pc so I just turn off the monitor and sometimes I come back within 10 mins whereas sometimes it takes 1-2 hours. I have no idea what should be the ideal settings. I read on google that ssds should never be set to sleep so I asked here, but should pcs be set to sleep? I don't know. I am a noob, please guide me what settings should I select there and I will do it.

sleep is essentially similar when you close notebook's screen,

is it possible that you were upgrading to Windows 10 OS in the last 2 years, or something similar?

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

13 minutes ago, podkall said:

is it possible that you were upgrading to Windows 10 OS in the last 2 years, or something similar?

Total noob here, should I keep the settings the way they are or do I need to change anything for the pc on the right or for the ssd on the left?

https://imgur.com/a/tFGEL6i

Upgraded to 10 home years ago, switched to ssd sometime back and hence the questions here. Search indexer has always worked fine. It is me who disabled it when the drive started showing that usage due to which I started this thread. Read that indexing takes up a lots of space and that it leads to more writes so I disabled it but after reading the replies here I enabled it but I guess I am missing something somewhere.

50 minutes ago, pchelp said:

Total noob here, should I keep the settings the way they are or do I need to change anything for the pc on the right or for the ssd on the left?

https://imgur.com/a/tFGEL6i

Sleep does not affect SSDs any more than it affects other components. It's totally fine, and up to your personal preference. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

On 4/28/2024 at 2:47 PM, Godlygamer23 said:

Sleep does not affect SSDs any more than it affects other components. It's totally fine, and up to your personal preference. 

Thank you. I read that trim and defrag are two different things and that trim is enabled by default. But if we open up defrag, why does it say retrim?

https://imgur.com/a/YeygQ67

In layman's language what is the main difference between trim/retrim and defrag? What should be the frequency of defrag in a pc? And in the above screenshot it says daily, so why does it say 8 days since last retrim?

Suppose a secondary ssd is added to a system, without the os. And this ssd, say of 1tb, is divided into two drives suppose d drive of 500gb and e drive of 431gb. Now say d drive is 50% full but e drive is 99% full. Then will this harm the drive or that line that a ssd should have atleast 10% free space for normal working is for the overall size?

3 hours ago, pchelp said:

In layman's language what is the main difference between trim/retrim and defrag? What should be the frequency of defrag in a pc? And in the above screenshot it says daily, so why does it say 8 days since last retrim?

Leave the trim operations to the ssd firmware. You do not need to configure anything in windows for this to happen. When deleting  a file in windows

it sends a "trim command". The firmware then decides when a "block" actually needs trimming.

3 hours ago, pchelp said:

Suppose a secondary ssd is added to a system, without the os. And this ssd, say of 1tb, is divided into two drives suppose d drive of 500gb and e drive of 431gb. Now say d drive is 50% full but e drive is 99% full. Then will this harm the drive or that line that a ssd should have atleast 10% free space for normal working is for the overall size?

Partitions are not separate ssds.. Over-provisioning accounts for the entire ssd capacity regardless of individual partition capacity.

10 hours ago, C2dan88 said:

Leave the trim operations to the ssd firmware. You do not need to configure anything in windows for this to happen. When deleting  a file in windows

it sends a "trim command". The firmware then decides when a "block" actually needs trimming.

If that were true, then the Optimize Drives utility is largely useless, and any mention of "[number of days] since last retrim" within the program is totally useless information, and is objectively untrue. So therefore, I don't think that happens. Windows does schedule TRIM commands to be sent based on what it considers to be required, but it's unlikely it does it for every single deletion operation.

However, if you have objective evidence to the contrary, I'll certainly change my view.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, pchelp said:

Thank you. I read that trim and defrag are two different things and that trim is enabled by default. But if we open up defrag, why does it say retrim?

TRIM is a command sent to the SSD to inform it that the block of data is stale and can be permanently erased. That's all it does. The rest of it is up to the drive itself to manage it. Defragging is bringing files that are broken up back together as much as possible to create as much contingency as possible(least amount of breaks in between). Both SSDs and hard drives benefit from this, but SSDs far less so due to their much lower latency, and in most cases, it's best to just leave the drive operate as it is designed to do - assuming it's programmed properly at a firmware level, that is. Otherwise, avoid using or buying that drive lol.

Do not randomly defrag SSDs. Windows will do it as needed. Defragging SSDs on a regular basis consumes writes.

The overall percentage of capacity usage is what matters here since the drive still has to manage the data. Partitions make zero difference here.

Edited by Godlygamer23

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2024 at 1:23 AM, Godlygamer23 said:

TRIM is a command sent to the SSD to inform it that the block of data is stale and can be permanently erased. That's all it does. The rest of it is up to the drive itself to manage it. Defragging is bringing files that are broken up back together as much as possible to create as much contingency as possible(least amount of breaks in between). Both SSDs and hard drives benefit from this, but SSDs far less so due to their much lower latency, and in most cases, it's best to just leave the drive operate as it is designed to do - assuming it's programmed properly at a firmware level, that is. Otherwise, avoid using or buying that drive lol.

Do not randomly defrag SSDs. Windows will do it as needed. Defragging SSDs on a regular basis consumes writes.

The overall percentage of capacity usage is what matters here since the drive still has to manage the data. Partitions make zero difference here.

Thank You. Pardon me for asking this again, in the screenshot below it says defrag is set to daily, so why does it say 8 days since last retrim?

And you mentioned to leave this setting aside, should I leave the frequency set to daily or should I change it to weekly, monthly etc.?

Is it a good idea to defrag a hard drive after a while? or will more writes harm a hard drive too?

And is this line true that once defrag is done then deleted files cannot be recovered?

Coming to another question about the ssd, I have noticed that whenever I wake up my pc from sleep to use it, the total power on count is increased by one. Currently the ssd is set to sleep after 60 minutes of non usage like I have posted the power options screenshots in the earlier posts. Is the increase in total power count ok for a ssd's health or should I increase the sleep time of the ssd to maybe 2 hours?

On 5/17/2024 at 1:26 PM, pchelp said:

Thank You. Pardon me for asking this again, in the screenshot below it says defrag is set to daily, so why does it say 8 days since last retrim?

And you mentioned to leave this setting aside, should I leave the frequency set to daily or should I change it to weekly, monthly etc.?

Is it a good idea to defrag a hard drive after a while? or will more writes harm a hard drive too?

And is this line true that once defrag is done then deleted files cannot be recovered?

Coming to another question about the ssd, I have noticed that whenever I wake up my pc from sleep to use it, the total power on count is increased by one. Currently the ssd is set to sleep after 60 minutes of non usage like I have posted the power options screenshots in the earlier posts. Is the increase in total power count ok for a ssd's health or should I increase the sleep time of the ssd to maybe 2 hours?

@Godlygamer23

On 5/17/2024 at 9:26 AM, pchelp said:

Sorry for not responding to this.

Yes, I would recommend that you defrag a hard drive if you frequently manipulate files on it - setting it to daily should be fine. Windows will automatically defrag it as it sees fit. Modern hard drives use what is called NCQ - it stands for Native Command Queuing. It basically allows the hard drive to read data out-of-order and then reconstruct it at the end, making defragging to an extent an unnecessary task. Too much fragmentation will eventually cause the hard drive to slow down. 

During defragging, areas of the disk will be overwritten, so this depends on how much actually occurs during the defragmentation process.

As for your SSD, see my comments about hard drives. Windows is set to check it automatically daily, but that doesn't mean any specific process will take place. The check is strictly to determine if it's required or not - the program doesn't see it as required. 

I wouldn't worry about how often the drive wakes from sleep.